Keys/AndrosReport. - Fly Fishing Forum
Bonefish, Tarpon, and other Obsessions Turquoise water, silver demons on the fly

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-18-2002, 08:44 AM

Keys/AndrosReport.

or.. Why they don't call it catching.
Had a tough week.
Met my buddy in Key Largo Last week and we fished for a couple of days in Biscayne Bay. We didn't see many fish, and netted one nice 8# bone and a couple of tarpon follows for our efforts.The Guide said that the wind made fishing tough. Wind? When is it not blowing 20?
Then, we met my wife and another buddy at the airport and flew to Andros. The same high pressure that plagued us in the Keys stayed with us all week. And the fish did not seem to like it. They were no where to be found, and spooky when they were found. A 20' lead would send them off and running!
1st day, the guide didn't show. 2nd day, the guide broke my rod casting it(I heard the fly hit the tip. The rod broke on the next false cast). 3rd day fished with a new guide. Nice guy, but I saw 90% of the fish befor he did. Being a nice guy counts for a lot though. The high light of the trip for me was when my wife caught a fish while I was on the pole! I could barely keep the boat straight and she spotted the fish. A fantasy realized. 4rth day we fished with another guide. We spent 3/4 of the day nose into a muddy bank while he fixed his motor. The remaining 2 hours were spent wading the most beatiful flat you could imagine. We saw a few fish, but they were very spooky.
The 5th day we fished the west side. The guide had never fished their befor, but it was beautiful, and we caught a few fish. This was a long hour and a half run and I'm not sure I wouldn't have rather been fishing closer to the lodge. My buddy didn't make the run, and he landed a 10 pounder! The 6th day the weather started to lift, and we started catching fish. Few! the curse was lifted. We caught 6 fish that day. We fished with the first guide, and since we were catching fish, I'm convinced that he is the best guide on earth.
Next time we go, the catching will be better.
Flys that worked: Tan Puffs, Petersen's Spawning Shrimp(a KILLER), Gotcha Clousers and Clousers tied with a very pale khaki bucktail, no white. sparse flash. When fish refuse fly, going biggere worked more offten than going smaller. Go figure.
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2002, 01:06 PM
Flats Rat

Eddie

Thanks for the report - interesting that you should be weather plagued too - we lost a couple of Days on Exuma the previous week. Thats the first time in eight years of early season (March - April) tropics fishing that we actually got blown out - had to happen sometime I guess.

Andros has always filled me with wonder - especially since we always fly over it on the way to Exuma and back. Thats one flight where I always try to get a window seat! There are so many remote / uninhabitted cays and sand banks - gota wonder what it would be like to check them out some day
Old 04-18-2002, 02:06 PM
President of CAC

That would be simple Adrian... when we retire we buy alittle shack on Andros... and with the right overland vehicle and some extended walking... not to mention a flats skiff... we would be in fat City and it would talke us years to explore everything if we even could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2002, 02:10 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Yes, so keep coming to the FORUM and clicking away... get that traffic up there and the sponsors happy so we can buy that shack and it will be our time-share!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.