New York Clave - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2001, 08:10 PM

New York Clave

I think they need to start a twelve step program for striper fisherman. Anyway a NYC Clave is not impossible is it. It is an eight hour drive. We could ride down on a friday and fish Saturday and Sunday morning and drive back on Sunday. This could get us fishing by April. Is anyone familiar with the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2001, 05:00 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

RE:New York Clave

I am very familiar with the area and Smitty (rodbuildersworkshop.com) has been conspiring to arrange a trip out there this month. March is usually very good if there is any warming trend to make fishing bearable. There are lots of steelhead in the river and the snowpack is huge up on the plateau. The problem is there could be another massive meltoff causing a flood that renders the river unfishable. One year the fish went up the side channels in high water and were cut off. Many of these channels had dead fish all over them when the river dropped, up to 15 pounds. While it was high there was zero angling on the river.

My guess is that earlier is better than later because the cooler weather keeps the meltoff under control and there are less people now than when it warms up.

I am still struggling with a possible flight to the Olympic Peninsula which would put me out of the running for a NY clave. In any case, we can put together a very informative NY page that will get you on the right track for sure.

I think I can arrange for a guide to float you on a driftboat if you fulfill the 'contributing editor' role - take lots of pictures and write up a feature article as a way of saying thanks. Let me know if this sounds interesting to you.

Don't count me out yet, if I don't go to the OP I might have to hit upstate NY to keep my sanity!
Old 03-12-2001, 05:45 AM

RE:New York Clave

I would be up for a NY Clave, if the weather Gods allow the right conditions. It sounds like we have some warming trends coming up this weekend, maybe this will thaw alot of the snow. Maybe things will stabilize for the Clave.
Tight lines,

Dave

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.