Stearns Inflatable Special at... - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Stearns Inflatable Special at...

You guessed it... COSTCO!

$145 with pump, paddle, and duffel. So light you can carry it out to the edge at low tide, launch it anywhere, anytime. This is my top criteria after 'does it move forward when paddled?'.

NOT good enough to fish from, NOT a bluewater craft, NO storage capacity - won't even carry an anchor most likely.

It's really not a yak, it's a pool toy. But it will put me on the outer shoals and get me back. If I can't get back in because I waited too long there is a place to put my camera and wallet if I need to swim along with it to get off a flooded bar. All I need in such a case is my life, a dry wallet and expensive electronics kept dry - everything else can be cleaned and dried.

YES - I will buy a real kayak from one of our sponsors eventually, but for now this is going to be my temporary plaything to extend my reach just a little further than my cast from the shore. From this I will learn exactly what I need for my impending big purchase, a real kayak. It will always be a hit with the kids when I move on.

I'm actually PSYCHED!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2002, 02:16 PM
Here fishy fishy

Juro - you da' man!

You sure it isn't one of those inflatable pool animals - ala the giraffe that Jack Gartside used to "fish" from around Boston Haba? :hehe: Now that would come in handy around the Brewster flats...
Old 04-05-2002, 02:31 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Not sure if you saw this ... I have no idea which one is better. All I can say is that it is a cheaper dry storage platform
Old 04-05-2002, 02:39 PM

I'll check tonight at the local walmart, but I thought I saw a Stearns kayak for $99. I'm not sure of what accessories came with it.
Old 04-05-2002, 04:45 PM

It wasn't a Stearns, it was a Coleman, Model # 5998-980, $79.96 with paddle, no pump or case. Made of PVC, it was shorter than the Seveylor nick showed.
Old 04-05-2002, 10:40 PM

MAN! I am really surprised at the lack of pool toy savvy around here

The Stearns is not like the PVC units. It has a bladder inside a tough sheath of something or other with neoprene abrasion guards on the sides where the paddle scrapes and a little keel. I sat in one today. The kit is a special just for Costco, comes with a paddle, pump, bag and yak for $144.99

I heard you can get the polka dots and giraffe options after market :hehe:

Looks like this:

Not nearly as nice as this one:

or this one:

all Stearns, but for the $$ I am thinking of it as a little shuttle bug between shoals and nothing more.

Stearns website
Old 04-05-2002, 10:56 PM

I know you are just kidding but I have many years on Brewster Flats under my wader belt and would ask the following questions:

a) Where would you launch?
b) What tide would you launch?
c) What tide would you take out?

The difference between this unit and any kayak on the market is night and day. The answer with this unit is:

a) anywhere
b) any tide
c) any tide

With a 'real' yak, it would be:

a) Sesuit & 1.8 mile row if no desire to drag or lug; otherwise Brewster beaches with a potentially marathon drag session
b) High tide (short drag), mid tide (100-150 yard drag), low tide (1 mile drag)
c) same as b

BTW - best fishing is around the bottom of the tide. With a real yak if you don't have 3 hours before and after to kill the most direct route to the best fishing is approx 1 mile of dry often rocky sand.

The mini-yakker can show up anytime and leave anytime from anywhere. Or such is my theory anyway. I could be wrong, but the risk is pretty low.

Besides, I can carry it on Rip Ryder in the bag and enjoy South Monomoy Island's west side flats without the row over from Hardings or the tidal concerns of Stage Inlet. If I feel like staying past curfew and the weather permits I can paddle back to the refuge at my leisure (dark is 5 hours after the last return shuttle).

And these are just the opportunities I am willing to discuss on line. The exciting ones are the ones I refuse to mention

Quote:
Originally posted by Tod D
Juro - you da' man!

You sure it isn't one of those inflatable pool animals - ala the giraffe that Jack Gartside used to "fish" from around Boston Haba? :hehe: Now that would come in handy around the Brewster flats...
Old 05-01-2002, 05:12 PM

Hmmm... pool toy.

Should you now be referred to as the pool boy??! :hehe:
Old 05-01-2002, 05:53 PM
President of CAC

I will need to get one... I need it... I like the portability and the bag... Juro, please call .You are saying this is at Costco... do you know where the nearest one is to me?
Old 05-01-2002, 06:07 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking Super Costco??

Hey Juro,

Are they running a Blue Light Special on these things in Boston??

I checked the Costco website and they're listing them for $299!! I'd pick one up at $145 just for my own use and abuse, but $299 is a different matter.

Either way - have fun in the surf with your new toy! Maybe next time we head to BC you can bring it with to run a few rapids on the Thompson! And we'll of course video the action!

Surf's Up, Dude!

DS
Old 05-01-2002, 06:13 PM

And that would make you the drag king... or QUEEN!

We'll see how this all pans out on the flats in a month or so... I might have to eat hypalon but I'm thinking not...

Quote:
Originally posted by Roop
Hmmm... pool toy.

Should you now be referred to as the pool boy??! :hehe:
Old 05-01-2002, 06:25 PM

John -

The nearest Costco is in Waltham, Winter Street exit. They have about 10 of them left - they sold 100 in the first batch and there were 85 in this shipment.

They are having a sunglass expo May 17, 18 and 19th as well, I was scoping out a pair of Action Optics but am now going to wait until after the fair. I think they are going to bring in a huge assortment.

Brian -

These are special promo versions of the $299 downpriced to $144.95. They are only available in Costco and one or two sporting goods chains according to the rep. The paddle is a four-pc snap-loc aluminum deal and a serious paddler would replace it, but it fits nice inside the carrying bag with the pump and the yak itself. It's so small you could keep it in the truck for those unexpected opportunities to cross a channel or explore a flat.

I am seriously considering buying two more for opening up a new dimension on the Brewster Flats for friends and clients. My wife and kids and I are beach bums during the summer and these would be a blast to throw in the truck for the beach or ponds.

Granted they are not open water kayaks but they are perfect for hopping from shoal to shoal. Real good life preserver if needed too.

(I should move this thread into the inflatables to emphasize that these are not really yaks)
Old 05-01-2002, 06:51 PM

AHH an insult to my manhood!!

I demand satisfaction, a one on one flats fishing challenge on the flat of your choice!! You provide the flies as well!!

(how else am I going to steal new spots?)
Old 05-01-2002, 08:27 PM

No insult, just a "pool boy" pokin' fun.

OK - low tide, Paine's Creek on Sunday May 26th at 6am - first striper take it
Old 05-02-2002, 06:56 AM

Nope, I know how to find that place.

Somewhere else, somewhere you haven't taken me!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.