Wire - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-16-2002, 01:03 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Wire

I was shown a new product today and since I know many of you fish for bluefish which from what I understand are toothy critters, I figured I would post my obersvations.

This is a multi-strand wire produced by American Fishing Wire (or something like that) and is very easy to tie knots with.

It comes in strengths from 13-90# and seemed pretty cool...

The first thing I did was grab a piece of 20# Maxima and attempted a bloodknot with a strand of 20# wire...second try, BINGO!! And it held great and I saw no abbrasion or sign that the knot would break under pressure.

Cool stuff...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2002, 07:01 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Ryan! We've been using the stuff for a few years now, as you said by necessity. For joining, a surgeon's knot is a little easier and holds near 100% strength but the blood is great too. Albrights are easiest but will not survive a big fish, at least not on my line.

The terminal knot is a little tougher. I've been using an improved figure-8 with larger gauge wire and just about any knot with the thin stuff. The thinner wire is easier to tie but gets a pigtail in it after a slammer blue battle.

Jury's out on whether stripers dislike the darker tippet or not. I've had mixed results - in a fast tumultuous riptide they hit it without concern, in a still skinny mid-day shoal they shun just about everything.

Last year the big blues came onto the very skinny water and caused a dillemma or two. My approach under those conditions - try very hard to distinguish between the two species and don't bother casting to the greenbacks, go for the gold instead. Of course in May and June the colors haven't been sorted out yet and you're going to need a bunch of extra flies.

When blind casting, it takes the loss of a first fly before deciding to put on a bite guard. Two lost before you find a new spot.

Thanks for the tip Ryan, keep us posted on what comes into the shop. I know when I was at a shop I had the scoop on all the new goods!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 07:42 AM
Flats Rat

Juro, how are the Albright knots failing? Is it slipping or cutting the mono?

If its slippage there's an elegant solution - I use Albrights for all my wire / shock tippet connections and haven't had a problem yet.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:33 AM

Yep, the albrights have let me down with slammer blues and spanish macs on the line; cut at the knot. I believe it's because the single line lays perpendicular against the wire loop taking all the heat during the fight. Never gave it much further thought after Capt. Ruben convinced me to go w/ the surgeon's knot at Boneclave II a couple of years ago and the problem seems to have been solved.

My preference is for fly designs that prevent bite-offs w/o wire, and I am not the world's biggest bluefish enthusiast but they sure are a blast! The blues I've met are rarely finicky and by the time you realize the fish are blues your first fly is gone anyway so if you want to battle a blue you have to make a switch anyway.

Old 04-16-2002, 11:36 AM
LBFF Mojo

Ryan do you have this in the shop?

Came in a couple weeks ago asking for it but was told you guys did not have it. Just bought some mason multistrand wire instead which worked OK with an albright knot down in the keys

Really want to get a look at the american wire for tiger-muskies this summer.

-sean
Old 04-16-2002, 11:57 AM
Flats Rat

Thinking this one through, I've always attached wire/shock tippet with a double line (bimini etc.) which may mitigate the cutting problem. Surgeons knot sounds like the way to go for a single line.

Strategies for avoiding wire altogether sound like a good idea too.

Tarpon style on an extra long shank hook?
Old 04-16-2002, 12:12 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
Well I guess I was little late as it seems you folks have been using this for a few years now...oh well.

Sean-
I ordered some yesterday...it should be in on Friday or Monday.
Old 04-16-2002, 12:13 PM
LBFF Mojo

Sounds like you guys could use the way we tie coho flies out here with stinger hooks.

Just use the american wire to attach the stinger hook and the wire for the most part will be covered with materials. We cut off the hook at the bend on the front and tie the materials on the shank that is left.

Here is an example using mono to do the stinger but american wire would work.

here

Could be usefull to keep the blues away from the tippet by having that hook back on the fly.

We do this because coho salmon are notorious for nipping at the backs of the flies and do not hit the front of the fly like a striper does. The stinger back there is the best way to hook them.

-sean
Old 04-16-2002, 01:14 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Talking Tiger Tiger?

Not Woods, either!:hehe:

Sean - I had the same thought. Plan to exercise a few Muskies from the kayak this summer and was thinking I'd need to find a fine wire for leader material. Looks like I can scratch that one off the list.

Thanks Ryan!

DS
Old 04-16-2002, 01:26 PM

Thanks just the same Ryan, you can bring some out when (not if) you come out to fish with us on the atlantic coast.

This is a good topic. Many moons ago when I used to frequent Sekiu a lot with a bugrod we fished tube flies with a tandem or stinger hook because of the side-swiping coho hit Sean mentions. One of the better ones was a crazy tandem tube bunny strip herring about 5" long. It was no party to cast but those big shipping lane footballs loved it on a full sink line. Man, that was some unreal fishing - 15 pound salmon hitting as hard as a bluefish and jumping like tarpon, in the ocean to boot.

I recently experimented with bluefish-proofing via tubeflies and a 4" bite guard snelled to an up-eye hook. The thing you have to watch with blues and tubes is if the tube slides up the leader, you are going to get another hit and this time you'll lose the whole mess beyond the chomp point of the second fish. You have to use the tip of a round toothpick to jam into the tube and snap off flush to keep the fly in place.

HMMM... The Miyawaki popper might be re-incarnated as a mondo bluefish banger when Sean gets out here... maybe even earlier
Old 04-16-2002, 04:40 PM
Wanna be striper bum

This is a great topic.

The true dilemma for me is best described by an experience at the Boneclave last year. I had the pleasure of being out on Art Sawayer's boat during the clave. While we were out we found nothing but blues so we tied on some wire. As we were passing through the Waquoit jetties - heading for home - we saw busting fish just outside one of the jetties - and they were bonito.

I hopped up into the bow and - for once that day - quickly dropped my fly into a mess of fish. Strip, strip, strip....strip,strip, strip. Nada. Art was amazed that at least one fish in the frenzy would not grab my fly.

It was the wire. They would not strike a fly attached via wire. That day the choice was - fish near/for blues without wire and lose lots and lots of flies (if not tied tarpon style) or tie on wire and forget about the albies.

This year I will try some heavy mono connections to my flies (Gregg Estey has fooled bonito with 30 or 40 pound mono bite tippets) and I will try Sean's great suggestion out too.

Thanks Sean.

-Mike
Old 04-17-2002, 09:58 AM
Fluff

Juro, this is gonna sound kinda stupid, but - you can get that wire right around us and don't have to wait for it from the West Coast. It's even available at (of all places, God Forbid) WalMart
Old 04-17-2002, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
Thanks Ryan! We've been using the stuff for a few years now, as you said by necessity. For joining, a surgeon's knot is a little easier and holds near 100% strength but the blood is great too. Albrights are easiest but will not survive a big fish, at least not on my line...
(first reply, from above) Thanks just the same Dave!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.