Ok, official list of fly swappers - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 11:29 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Ok, official list of fly swappers

Ok, we have it set in stone. I'm only uncertain about one, he never said he was definitely "in", but I think I may be able to coerce him.

Here we go, let me know if this is wrong.
Myself (Steelheader69)
Nate Bailey
PMFlyfisher
TerryD
Fredaevans
Wrke
Crusty
Mean Gene
Sean
Rob Allen (I assume you're in???)

So, that makes 10 flies each. But, you're more then welcome to include a few more if you'd like LOL.

Ok, I'll say again. All the SAME pattern. Can be different sized hooks, or a variation of hook/tube flies. But same pattern. Makes sorting easier when they're virtually the same fly.

Get them all tied up and send them to me by May 15th.

Send to
Jerry Daschofsky
5085 NE 37th St
Tacoma, WA 98422

Once I get them all, I'll regroup and send back out. Now the deadline is May 15th, but luckily we don't have Sparkey on board so we'll get this wrapped up on time.

So, start tying and we'll wrap this up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2002, 12:21 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
sorry Jerry not this time around
Old 04-16-2002, 08:50 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Slacker....

Ok, I understand. Wasn't sure, you haad posted but hadn't said yes or no. Ok, that makes is 9. So, start tying.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:26 PM

Confirmation

Jerry,

These must be summer steelhead flies (wet or dry ) or nymphs right ?

Also I may not be able to make by 5/15, 5/14 is our 25th wedding anniversary and I think I the weekend prior I am at Notre Dame with my youngest son for the Irish's Spring Blue and Gold game. I will try though, I promise.

:eyecrazy: :eyecrazy:

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 04-16-2002 at 06:21 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2002, 09:27 PM

Being new to the fly swap, do you want receipes included with the patterns when I send them to you?? or Do I post it after the patterns are mailed out??
Old 04-17-2002, 12:10 AM
flyfishing catarafter

ok

Hal, I completely understand. Get them to me when you can. I don't want to ruffle the feathers with the Mrs.

TerryD, you can do it either way. Post it afterwards, or send them with flies. Doesn't matter.

Thanks
Old 04-26-2002, 03:05 PM

Wow! this one slipped right by me. Time

to get to work!!

The "famous" Rogue River "Otis Bug" it shall be.
Old 04-26-2002, 04:27 PM

Fred,

I've still got some 1/4 inch solid core lead wire left over from my corky days. Do you want it for hook wrapping?

Crusty

PS Do you need a place to stay for the Clave?
Old 04-27-2002, 10:01 AM

What size for PNW nymphs ?

Jerry,

I think I will tie the great lakes (Michigan origin) nymph pattern that is a standard out here and which I again touched several brutes with this week.

My question is what size should I tie for PNW steelhead fishers ? Here we use from size 4 down to size 10. Also suppose I should weight them. The ones I struck steel with this week were bead heads.

Thanks

Hal

P.S. Looks like most of the fellows in the fly swap are PNW fishers thats why I am asking.
Old 04-27-2002, 12:11 PM
flyfishing catarafter

No problems

Tie them up the way you normally do. Alot of times I personally will go down size wise during the summer. Alot of my summer flies are from a size 4-10 too. In fact, I'll probably tie up one of my skaters in a size 8.
Old 04-27-2002, 01:05 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hal I will be tying a 6 and maybe even an 8 for my grease line caddis imitiation as we do go smaller for the summer fish.

-sean
Old 04-27-2002, 01:13 PM

Size 6 is my favorite size so it shall be.

If I could only use one great lakes steelhead fly the rest of my life this may be the one, it caught my first steelhead 20 years ago and worked again this past week, but with a little different variation. Must be at least 10-15 or more variations of this nymph.

From what I hear from Fred its working on the Rogue
Old 04-27-2002, 02:39 PM

Crusty, appreciate your offer of housing SOB!!!!!!

But I'm dead meat for getting to the Clave this year. I'm one of the lead instuctors in a home buying class down here. We've had two instructors bail (ok reasons) so Rogue Valley CC has put the screws to me to teach at least one session, probably two.

Hell of it is the ones I've got to cover are the last in the day and no way to 'swap' with an earlier in the day instructor. First thought was if I could, class over and up the highway like a bat out of hell. As it is I won't be done until some time after 4pm.

Hal!!! You're back!!!! We want fish stories!!!!

Fred
Old 04-27-2002, 03:51 PM

Fred,

Yes I got back yesterday afternoon. Body and mind is still recuperating from the michigan steelhead crusade this past week. Believe I will be rested enough to post the detailed report tonight, or maybe I should wait for the pictures this week and write a short story ?

Hal
Old 05-11-2002, 07:17 PM

Jerry, (Steelheader 69)

Mine are in the mail today. Since my 25th wedding anniversary is this week (14th) wanted to make sure I got these in to you, it will be a busy week.

Michigan hex fly nymph (Hexigenia Limbata) natural pheasant tail, olive hackle, and creme body pattern which has been good for me lately. A similar pattern was developed in the 1970s and begin the fly fishing approach for Michigan Steelhead. It was called the Springs Wiggler and was the first fly which I caught my first Michigan wild steelhead in 1981. There are many variations of this pattern one of which is mine.

In the tying instructions I send I will provide other variations which can be effective. This is an all around general nymph pattern which you can use for trout, salmon, steelhead, bass, etc...

This pattern brought up the big wild buck two weeks ago in Michigan on my last day there, he was 13-15 lbs probably and that first wild head shaking jump against the pine forest background and snow will be remembered for a long time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.