Ooh that smell - Fly Fishing Forum
The Quintessential Trout Trout angling is the core of flyfishing worldwide.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 03:48 PM

Ooh that smell

Finally got the skunk off today. Squeezed in 1 1/2 hours on the Swift River (Western MA). Got a 13 ' and a 9 ' rainbow. Fish were rising sporadically. Takes were slow and delicate and I pulled the fly away from several fish. Hooked up when I let the fish set the hook. Fish were taking small dark flies (march browns?) and only succes I had was with an 18 or 20 adams. Fly fell apart after awile and they would not consider anything bigger - which is all I had in the box. Kind of ignored my dry fly box this winter - back to the bench! Not much fight - kind of lethargic - but a blast anyways! Anyone else having any spring luck?
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2002, 04:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Kahuna -

Sounds great, congrats! Would you consider showing a few of us around out your way this spring? Perhaps an exchange for some salty secrets?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2002, 08:26 PM
BB5 Survivor

any update on the status of the Y pool??

--j
Old 04-02-2002, 09:03 PM

Jared, I've heard rumors saying both that the Y pool will open and no it won't. If your interested call the Quabbin Visitor's Center at (413)323-7221.

You can try that brook I told you about last summer. There really are fish in there other than chubs.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:23 PM
BB5 Survivor

John --

there were (or are) at least 2 non-chub fish that I'm
aware of in that particular body of water....

--j
Old 04-03-2002, 07:22 AM

Juro: Sure - I'd be glad to show you a few spots I know or share the information with you - but they are no great secret. A few more weeks of trout fishing and the streams will become fill-in between striper trips. Spent the last two years figuring out
Merrimac River mouth, Joppa, Plum Island, etc. This year I am going to try to figure out mouth of the Connecticut and even throw in some upper Connecticut River striper attempts this Spring.
Old 04-03-2002, 12:11 PM
President of CAC

That's a great report. I know the Swift can be tough if you don't use 6 to 7x tippetts and small flys... so.. you did well there. I used to fish right off route 9 bridge area with fish rising all around. Landed a nice 18 incher( that was in July.. easier than at this time of year) with the small compo you used several years ago.. light tippett and super small fly... They were rejecting everything else I gave them before I had figured it out.

Last edited by striblue; 04-03-2002 at 12:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2002, 02:54 PM

John D: I have it that the Quabbin itself will open the 13th but the Y pool will not be open unless there is a change in thinking. Striblue: I have fished just upstream of the bridge many times and it can be quite agravating - but is also loaded with fish and quite a challange. Like you said, midges and small flies and long fine leaders. I actually fish that pool more than further upstream or the Y pool because I am usually on an extended "lunch break" or just happen to be passing over the bridge on the way from a site visit or meeting with a client and you can be in the water in a few minutes. From the bridge and upstream is closed now and apparently will remain so. Plenty of good fishing below the bridge, though. That is where I got the two trout yesterday. Not as tough as upstream of the bridge but still pretty picky.
Old 04-18-2002, 06:48 AM

Send a message via AIM to Chris
I hit the upper reaches of the Swift, in Petersham, on Sunday the 14th. The water was really low and didn't get anything to come up to have a look at anything I cast. There was a decent hatch on the Millers in Erving but again nothing rising and didn't interest anything with nyphs either. Was a beautiful day to be out though and Ian and I enjoyed just hanging out and working on his casting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.