best gadgets to stock a vest with - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-15-2002, 02:02 AM

best gadgets to stock a vest with

Hi,

Can anyone recommend all the various essential gadgets a well stocked vest should have?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-15-2002, 09:41 AM

Keep it simple and your vest light - very important for comfort on those long days astream.

nippers - cheap kind (.99) you'll lose 'em and the cheap ones don't hurt as much when that happens.
Fly boxes
a variety of tippet sizes
floatant
simple first aid kit
polarized glasses (very important)
strike indicators (somewhat controversial to the purist but I use them and wont give them up in the forseeable future)
spare spool if the water you are fishing might require a change of line.
a spare leader
I almost never use one but you might want a net. I think a gentle wet hand is best for quick and healthy releases.

Gregg
Old 04-15-2002, 01:52 PM
President of CAC

This as you know is one of my pet peves... Just make sure you know where you put your car keys... also ,practice remembering where you put all your stuff...this can be done at home...like the military... blindfold your self and have someone time you as you place ,then remove the items...then put them back in the appropriate pocket..like taking a weapon apart... with practice you will become proficient.... Night practice is also important..practice without a light...learn by feel....when you are ready ..put yourself to the ultimate test... place your car keys in one of the many pockets...wait a week... then drive into a dangerious portion of an inner city near you..late at night... Leave the jacket on the front seat.... walk up to a group of individuals... stay about 50 to 100 yard away from them and then shout some obcenities appropriate to the ethnic group you encounter.... as they begin to chase you , make for your car .Once in you will need to find those keys... you will only have one chance to do this test... so there is no ,"I will do better next time"... this is why the test is the best for mastering the use of vests..... Good luck.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:01 PM

I do not wear a vest for a couple reasons:
  • all the stuff in the trash pocket from last year
  • keys - see Mr. Morin's reply
  • the smell - see trash pocket
  • one less thing to carry

these are just my own excuses.

What I switched to last year & really like it is this:
a lanyard around my neck - like those key chain things - on it are my nippers and floatant. I threaded my tippet spools onto the lanyard and viola! a cheap, efficient, light "vest".

My fly boxes are (2) 3"x4" tin boxes, I carry splitshot & spare leader onmto the water - everything else stays in the car (spare flys, etc.)

good luck
Old 04-16-2002, 12:48 PM

If my vest does't have all it needs then I feel that I don't have enough. I carry 5 fly boxes(Iknow that is too many). But I can cover any thing I come across. Nippers,forceps,tippet spools,floatant,extra leader,dry-fly crystals,leader straightner. I don't carry a flash light because I don't ever get lost. As for glasses I already wear them.

Jim
Old 04-16-2002, 01:02 PM

To the suggestions above I'd add

1. Bug repellent
2. Sun screen
3. Small swiss army knife for the day you lose the nippers.
4 Toilet paper in a zip lock bag. Remember to get away from the water and bury it if you use it.

A spare set of keys to the car is helpfull to have tied or sewn into the vest.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:36 PM

Take John D's advise!!!

defenitely TP in a bag...just trust me on this one.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:24 PM

On the car keys I carry one and then hide one usually under one of the fenders or other under carriage areas of the vehicle.

Never want to get stranded out in the National Forest back roads due to lost keys and have to call my wife for help.

Thanks for reminding me about the toilet paper also.

Have not used a net in over 15 years at least.

Found a great light weight mini lite at the airport last month which looks like it will work great for $ 20 .

A compass may be needed if you cut through national forests much where you fish, as it is easy to get turned around out there if you are not careful.
Old 04-16-2002, 05:28 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Nooksack Mac
A vest is your "workspace," and like an office cubicle, becomes friendlier and more efficient with a little customizing. If you're able to thread a needle and sew a button, you can do things like this:
Dye it a drab color (cotton only)
Add extra Velcro patches to make pockets escape-proof (vital for your car key pocket)
Add D-rings inside the big pockets (anchor points for tether lines from your irreplaceable fly boxes)
Replace cheap metal zipper with nylon zipper or Velcro flap
Improve the fly-losing sheepskin patch the vest came with: A sheepskin or carpet patch folded in two, open end up inside a small pocket: just drop your flies inside.
Coated nylon liner inside bottom pockets; not entirely waterproof, but better than nothing.
A few years ago, I paid a local tailer to repair warn-through parts of my old Dan Bailey trout vest. That got me a few more years with it, for an even 30 years. When I had to replace it at last, I shopped around, found a Chinese-made copy of an Orvis vest for 20% of the price. I carefully worked over the new one, cutting away many loose threads, flame-singing raw nylon seams, and making some of the above improvements. It felt like an old friend from the first use.
I have a trout vest and a salmon-steelhead vest, so that I don't have to switch items constantly. I'd add a saltwater vest if I did that.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:17 PM

Nooksak Mac

That sounds like the home made steelhead vest I bought on a steelhead stream in Michigan in 1980, which I still use, although a couple of zippers need some work. An old timer was selling them for $ 25 or $ 30 one of the best darn investment I ever made

Will have to get it fixed after next week's spring steelhead hunt.
Old 04-16-2002, 07:26 PM
LBFF Mojo

You guys are forgetting the most important thing....

A flask full of whiskey or scotch and a good cigar should be in the vest at all times.

-seran
Old 04-16-2002, 07:42 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Time is your teacher...

After you absorb all the great advice that this thread provides, you'll have a good basis for what to stuff into all those pockets.

Each time you go out, you will discover something else you should add to your "field kit", each time you re-organize it you will discover something you should leave at home. Over the years the protocol will become self-evident, for me that process is a big part of the fun of fishin'

That being said, let's take a new angle to this thread and go for the TOP TEN ITEMS you would have in your vest, assuming the other 100 will be things you decide over time...

(front pockets only)
1) flybox
2) leader/tippet
3) snipper
4) hook hone
5) ferrule wax
6) floatant
7) bug juice
8) pocket knife
9) compass
10) waterproof matches

Then small first aid collection, energy bar and water, radio or phone, packable raincoat in back compartment, etc.

These vary with the type of fishing done, some need no floatant, others sunblock instead of bugspray, etc.
Old 04-16-2002, 08:36 PM

TP in a vest

One of my buddies in Wyoming says that he dosn't take TP to the river with him. He uses his gravel guards, then puts them back on and wades in the fast water. Of course this is the same guy that had his net hanging off the clip on the back of his vest. After a quick visit to the woods, he carried an unusual odor behind him. I think that was the only official "Brown Trout" he caught all day.

John
Old 04-16-2002, 10:05 PM

following Juro's lead i tried to get a top ten but only came up with 9.

1. flyboxes
2. spare leader
3. Tippet stock
4. Wenger Swiss army knife, it does everything a pair of nippers does and then some.
5. Hemostats or needle nose pliers depending on species.
6. hook sharpener
7. bug juice
8. TP
9. water proof matches

The first five are the bare minimum I need. Nooksack Mac you have some good ideas listed. I particularly the sheepskip ofr carpet in the pocket. If you fish barbless flies just disappear off the exposed patches.
Old 04-16-2002, 10:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

John - Now that's an angler I'd rather follow than lead :hehe:

I humbly replace #5 ferrule wax with TP; and leave the wax in the vehicle where it is less prone to melt. A tight film can is a pretty good container to prevent inadvertently making a Barbour out of half of your vest on a hot day.

In the fly box I poke a doll needle to simplify the tying of nail knots in the rare event that the leader pulls off the line.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.