Equipment you'd like to see... - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2002, 09:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Equipment you'd like to see...

Just going thru my stuff for the impending season. It's great that the fly fishing industry is providing such an abundance of products to tempt our spending dollars. Even still, there are things I really wish we could buy that just aren't available. For instance:

a) breathable waders with lightweight stocking feet or boot feet
Thick dark colored neoprene is exactly what I don't want on my feet when having to walk on hot sand. I wish waders came with light cool stocking feet -or- built on sand walker boots.

b) watertight backpacks (e.g. sealine) in the small size
They assume only whitewater expedition types want or need a good backpack that is 100% waterproof. The small bags don't come in a backpack configuration. A small ww pack for kayakers would be awesome IMHO

c) waterproof digital cameras
I am elated that digitals are coming down in price. I found out that those who make waterproof cases are getting almost as much for the case as the camera! When are they going to make the Canon sport waterproof standard and APS cameras digital?

What would you like to see this coming striper season?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2002, 10:16 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

Juro, here are yourGore-tex waders.

As for a manageable, waterproof back pack, try the Patagonia Stormfront.

I regret to inform you that I've yet to find a constructive answer to the waterproof digital camera. A man has got to know his limitations........
Old 04-14-2002, 10:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions!

I owned the GQS waders before my Simms, purchased specifically because of the lightweight feet. I must have had a bad pair because I had a lot of trouble with them leaking and had to call upon the excellent Bean warranty to go with Simms Guide weight. The Simms lasted three solid seasons but boy I wish they made different feet for us summertime beach walkers.

IMHO the best feet of all are the OS Systems feet, made of molded latex of some kind. Tough enough for USCG and military use. They unfortunately don't apply their breathable knowledge to waders, making only a tough pair of poly/impregnated nylon wader that lasts ten years for $150. Unfortunately they don't breathe at all. I contacted them to plea for breathables, they declined. I am ready to cut off the feet from a pair and mate them with my old Simms waders to see if it can be done, then do it to a new pair - I like the feet that much! I read an article about a guy who makes his own fixed stocking foot modifications using a balloon inflated inside the leg and aquaseal.

I appreciate your recommendation though and I will have a peek at the current year GQS since Bean is always upgrading their product line each year.

As far as the camera I think Canon will get around to it soon enough. I just bought the A40 and it's great, but it sure doesn't like water, not even moisture!
Old 04-15-2002, 05:57 AM

Talking

11' 9wt Sage Rod. They make a 6 wt. model now why don't they think of the Eastern Saltwater angler. Maybe be someday they will. FisHHawk
Old 04-15-2002, 07:19 AM

Hi Fishhawk!

They made a 10' 9wt for a while specifically for striper anglers but when I tried it out it was arm heavy. Of course I ain't no arnold either :P I think they discontinued it.

An 11' 9wt sounds interesting, but for my preferences I would like to see an 11' 11wt built for two-handed express mailing over the big Nauset surf. Sorry to sound like a broken record, I've been whining about that for about 6 years! But since this is a "whine" thread

Come to think of it, doesn't Kenney Abrames make a long striper weight rod? I think Pete Gray fishes one, and Jenks down at Saltwater Edge stocks them. Might be worth looking into?

-J
Old 04-15-2002, 07:47 AM
deeply obsessed fly-guy

Long rods

Juro,

You're right that Ken A. makes a series of longer rods. I have a 10 1/2' for a 9 wt that I'm itching to try out. If you are going to be at the Rhode Island Icebreaker on the 20th, you are welcome to give it a try.

Best regards,

Doc Duprey
Old 04-15-2002, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by juro
Hi Fishhawk!

They made a 10' 9wt for a while specifically for striper anglers but when I tried it out it was arm heavy. Of course I ain't no arnold either :P I think they discontinued it.

An 11' 9wt sounds interesting, but for my preferences I would like to see an 11' 11wt built for two-handed express mailing over the big Nauset surf. Sorry to sound like a broken record, I've been whining about that for about 6 years! But since this is a "whine" thread

Come to think of it, doesn't Kenney Abrames make a long striper weight rod? I think Pete Gray fishes one, and Jenks down at Saltwater Edge stocks them. Might be worth looking into?

-J
Abrames does make a long rod with a "traditional" action(medium) but I found that they were heavy to cast. St Croix also makes a 10'6" rod that I tried an d it felt lighter with a faster action. The Saltwater Edge carries both makes the last I knew. Ron
Old 04-15-2002, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FishHawk
11' 9wt Sage Rod. They make a 6 wt. model now why don't they think of the Eastern Saltwater angler. Maybe be someday they will. FisHHawk
They don't make the longer rods for striper fishermen cause there isn't a demand? . I recently picked up a 996/3 Sage RPLXi and found the cork was really small compared to normal- for steelhead ff'ers who wear gloves alot. All I know is my hand camped after 1hr of use. Scott used to make long single handed rods for steelhead fishing and they would work for stripers. Ron
Old 04-16-2002, 01:59 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
Before Patagonia redesigned their breathables, they made them with breathable bootys I do believe. This was only a year or so ago so I am sure you might be able to dig up a pair somewhere at a very good price!
Old 04-16-2002, 06:20 AM

Tried out the Abrames rod too slow for me. I like the action of a Sage. Perhaps I'lll get the 11'6wt. It probably could handle an 8wt line. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.