Temptation Island (Minus the Temptation!!) - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2001, 07:35 PM

Temptation Island (Minus the Temptation!!)

I'm really asking for some help here everyone!
As some of you know, I have had the pleasure of becoming recently engaged as did Nathan Smith. Not wanting to speak on Nathan's behalf, it now becomes time for the groom-to-be for choosing that ultimate vacation spot! We both want to pamper ourselves somewhere we don't have to think about much (i.e.-Carribean, Belize, Costa Rica, etc.) It just so happens that these places also include some of the best flats fishing anywhere.
If we choose an area like this, the resorts revolve around diving and fishing. Which is fine with me, but I would also like there to be a spectacular night life, good food, etc., so that BOTH parties would be pleased and entertained.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! (i.e.-past vacations or trips)
Thanx so much,
Brian Z. (Hopefully see you at the Wilmington Show!!!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2001, 09:48 PM

RE:Temptation Island (Minus the Temptation!!)

Brian,

I gave this one a lot of thought about 1.75 yrs ago - in fact, almost went to Peace and Plenty in the Bahamas. I don't think that there is a place that satisfies both of your wishes. You'll end up compromising both parts and neither of you will be 100% satisfied with the decision.

Here is what I would suggest if she is not an avid angler - take the new bride somewhere that is on the top of her list. The good will that you generate will help you take a day off here or there to go striper fishing, a few weekend trips or or maybe even a future fishing vacation to Belize or Bahamas with your buddies. Although, you may get away with going to an all inclusive in the Bahamas and trying to get some time out on a flat, or arranging for a day of guided fishing. However, that may be a crap-shoot.

Good luck with your decision - I know that my wife said she wouldn't mind where we went - believed her at first, but then realized that really wasn't accurate.
Old 03-04-2001, 09:54 PM

Brian,

I am making similar arrangements. Feel free to email me if you like.
Old 03-05-2001, 12:28 AM
Flats Rat

Brian

Tricky compromise but I would consider Cabo San Lucas. It's a nice town, great restaurants and the fishing can be great. The main thing about Cabo is the fishing day starts real early - arround 5:30 a.m. but you'll be back by 2:00 p.m.
Old 03-05-2001, 06:53 AM

Brian,

First of all, congratulations. I knew when I met her on the flats that you were off to a good start!

How about trying 2 destinations? Perhaps one of the resort areas in the bahamas and then pop over to Andros or Eluthera for 2 days and finish off back at the resort?

I also agree with the suggestion of doing the right thing now to build up your "good guy bank account" which you can always make a withdrawl from in the future.

Good luck!

Roop

Good luck
Old 03-07-2001, 02:30 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Bahamas sounds like a good bet. John's recent trip sounds like it balanced things pretty well with his family. I am planning on making that trip with my wife next winter, and balancing things will be the priority.

Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula sounds like a good mix of carribean flair and a dose of flyflinging, I am sure GregO will have lots to report when he returns.

Adrian is off to Christmas Island soon, but based on testimonies I have heard I suspect this destination would have less to offer in terms of a balance to our better halves (more on the angling side).

We went to St.Maarten as newlyweds, I dared not mention angling because I fished more in those days than I do now so I was out of bargaining chips

There were plenty of 'cuda in every cove though, and big ones too. The cost of big game charters kept me off the boats, much to my wife's relief.

I'm off to do some research, it'll only help me next winter - meanwhile I hope others who have already experienced this balancing act chime in...
Old 03-07-2001, 05:41 PM
Flats Rat

Juro's right about Christmas Island, unless your partner is an avid angler or ornithologist. I mentioned Cabo earlier on in the thread as a possibility having made the trip with my non-fishing wife a couple of years ago. I'm sure some of the more established resorts in the Bahamas and Carribean would also fit the bill. Someone made the point about compromise earlier in the thread and that is a big consideration. If I'm on a fishing trip its 100% fishing. I guess I'm incredibly lucky to be maried to someone who lets me fly off to all sorts of exotic places each year.

This year the solution is to first do a week in Kauai which will be totally focused on what my wife wants to do. Then I get to send her home just as the mob arrive from the U.K. and Eire for the Christmas Island trip. That means I get to leave the cold North East in 67 hours (and counting) from now!
Old 03-07-2001, 06:55 PM

Thanx for everyones $0.2. These are some great starting points!! Adrian, have a blast on your trip and I'll look into Cabo and surrounding areas. Roop, glad to hear from you. Hope all is well with you and the family. Your suggestion sounds tempting. I'll look into Andros/Eluthra. Juro, thanx also.
I agree tremendously with Labrax in that I don't want to use all of my "get out of jail free cards" at once and ruin future chances of running out for that possible blitz. Let the search begin and I'll be sure to keep everyone informed.
Any takers on snowmobiling to the show on Sat. a.m. ?
Brian
Old 03-07-2001, 09:13 PM

I did this. I said let me go on a vacation by myself now (Christmas Island) and then we will do the normal honeymoon thing. Well, except for the telling her about the Christmas Island trip which is even better because We both get our way but she doesn't know I got my way so I get my way plus she owes me one. I knew I would be good at this marrage thing. Ha! Ha!
Old 03-08-2001, 12:02 AM
President of CAC

Gee Nathan, I am proud of you .You've put our previous posts in the other thread to practice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.