Knot tying Practice - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2001, 12:44 PM
President of CAC

Knot tying Practice

Last night I attended the weekly fly tying session at First Light Anglers. This session was a break from tying flies to learning or refreashing the attendees on the various knots that are part of our sport. The Clinch knot all the way to the Bimini and the various ways to attatch backing to fly line, fly line to butt ,and butt to leader to tippet. My think is and how would this sit with all the attendees of our up coming Casting clave to have simmilar knot tying practice so that we can share some of our techiques with each other. I know that for me last nights session was a great learning experience on Knots I usually do not tie, like the polimar and Bimini. Learning the Bimini was the best thing I got out of it, since the diagrams I have tried in the past just don't give you the key to doing it right. Any thoughts. We could do this during breaks from casting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2001, 01:39 PM
Flats Rat

RE:Knot tying Practice

Sounds like a great idea for a sidebar activity. Back in the old country I won a few bets with the Bimmini twist. Most of the freshwater anglers I knew had never heard of it. They all believed that a knot which would test at a higher breaking strain than the line did not exist. Oh what fun watching the disbelief on peoples faces when handed a 21 turn bimmini in 4lb test which, however hard they tried, simply refused to break at the knot!
Old 03-01-2001, 02:18 PM
President of CAC

You've got that right. I think it can be very productive for everyone as a side bar as you suggest. I can't wait to see the guys attatching one end of the Bimini to doorknobs, Knees, other arms etc, inorder to get the overtie on the first set of twists... then tieing the second bimini on the same line.. I am joking, but after a session like this as a side bar, everyone should walk out knowing how to tie the knots and knowing the names that go with them by heart.
Old 03-01-2001, 03:45 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I have four tables that would serve prefectly for this purpose. I'll bring them along.

Great idea!
Old 03-03-2001, 08:49 PM
Recent Member

Here is a link to some animated knots. The bimini is not done but some other popular knots are made easily. Http://www.marinews.com/fishing/fk_main.htm
Old 03-03-2001, 09:48 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thanks Pete, just checked out the site. Those animations are great, I just spent a good long time mesmerized by them

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.