Orvis DXR - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-28-2001, 01:34 PM

Orvis DXR

Greetings;

I am thinking about purchasing the Orvis DXR 9/10. Has anyone used this series of Orvis reels before? Any feedback would be most appreciated.

PS - Today is the last day of February!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2001, 01:46 PM

RE:Orvis DXR

I have never owned one, but I have used a DXR a few times. Nice reel, seemed pretty tough and had a smooth drag. The drag is a combo of cork, metal and rulon...no idea how it holds up over time but the Orvis warranty is pretty good.

I think they are about the same price as a Reddington or Teton now, for comparative shopping purposes. Don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
Old 03-01-2001, 10:22 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via ICQ to Steve

I've got the DXR anti reverse in a 9/10. I love it (no smashed thumbs). The drag adjustment does have a problem with stripping the threads if you are not careful. Orvis replaced mine for free. As far as I know, the direct drive does not have this problem, and is an excellent reel.
Old 03-03-2001, 09:31 PM
Recent Member

I have fished with an Orvis DXR for the past 3 years. It is an excellent reel with a finish that is hard to match. The first season I had it I lost it overboard in Plymouth attached to a Loomis IMX 9wt. I found it the next morning due to some new moon minus tides and a bit of luck. The finish is still perfect and I do not wash it off consistently after I use it. I have caught quite a few albies on it and the drag works very smooth. The problem with the drag adjustment knob was fixed a long time ago. Orvis re-engineered the part and there aren't problems now. An excellent product but more expensive than some other reels with similar features but it is a finely made reel with uncomparable corrosion resistance..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.