Do you "stink??" Info on fishes sniffer. - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2002, 05:40 PM

Do you "stink??" Info on fishes sniffer.

Understand that trout, steelhead, et. al. have a very keen sense of smell. One fellow commented years ago that (the body -especially the male - produces a chemical (name long gone) that is really repulsive to fish. The level of production of this accounted for a lot of why 90% of the fish were caught by 10% of the fishermen. Skill counts, but so does not having a 'stinking lure.'

I haven't used aftershave lotion (or scented sun screen) for years. What, if any thing, do you guys do/apply to mask 'your scent?'
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-10-2002, 06:51 PM

The other side of that coin is that women have scents on their skins which are attrractive to fish. There's a book out (_Salmon and Women_(?)) which explores the fact that while relatively few women fish, they are disproportionally responsible for landing trophy fish -- and lots of them.

Someone did an experiment once (or maybe more than once) that maybe you can try for yourself if no one is looking. During a time when fish were running heavily up a ladder, women subjects stuck their hands in the water and there was no effect on the salmon (I'm assuming these women weren't trying to grab the salmon as they swam by). Men subjects, on the other hand, stopped ladder traffic instantly once they put their pheromone saturated mits in the water.

So, Fred, maybe a sex-change operation? I mean, how much do you REALLY want to catch more fish?

Short of that, wash your hands a lot.

I think a lot of us have played around with shrimp oil, WD40, and such like, but we don't like to talk about it.

One more thing: one of the more successful Campbell River tyee guides used to keep his spoons in a bucket of faintly anise-scented water. He took pains never to touch the lure if he could help it, which led to some odd jigglings as he was trying to get his lines out. Nevertheless, he was quite outstanding at a very competitive game.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:08 PM

The Anise Scent

There is a very popular plastic egg [ Jensen ] that has been known to decorate more than a few SWFF terminal tackle when pursuing the Pacific Salmon that is impregnated with Anise
This is from observation only

-----saltRon
Old 04-10-2002, 09:35 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16

Old 04-10-2002, 10:21 PM

Fred,

Try Anise Oil on flies if legal.Vanilla Extract on your hands to mask scent. Wash your hands and take a shower before fishing

I have tried it do not know if it works or not.

BTW, they just banned any scents on the PM fly only no kill holy water, cannot have it in your possession while on river. I wonder how they would tell if I drenched all my flies in anise oil the night before fishing? Do the DNR officers have scent detectors, I think not. Oh well I am a purist FF now again, after my past miscreants.

Actually washed hands only with some scents, never put it on a fly, just did not have the guts, I know that is definitely not fly fishing.

I think the sex change as referenced in previous post is going way to far for a fish, even a steelhead !!

Hal

Old 04-10-2002, 10:22 PM

Ah, the 'scents' of yester-year ...

Used Anise years ago but stunk to high heaven for days after. Then to Bananna extract (smelled pretty good, even to the wife-type), Vanilla too I think.

The 'new' jellies are too potent for my taste; trying to catch something that smells like that, not smell like them.

But agree, women do smell darn good .....
Old 04-11-2002, 11:53 AM

Eric,

Fascinating! Would some form of contact with a female, perhaps holding hands or whatever, be sufficient to overcome or replace the male "stink"?

My wife is pretty tolerant but I can't see any way that I want to explore this! Getting skunked while she caught fish would seem preferable. And if that DID happen there is no way that I am going to tell her that it is due womens phermorones or whatever, instead of her efforts.

It might be fun to watch someone else try to explain this "experiment" to a conservation officer at fish ladder though. "I was just dangling my hands in here to see if ...."
Old 04-11-2002, 12:05 PM

This scent masking scentario (sic) obviously doesn't apply to Native Steelheads. Iv'e spent way too many days camped out with "Steelhead Bob" to beleive that personal hygeine is a factor in catching steelheads. Maybe Spam is the answer!!!
Old 04-11-2002, 12:06 PM

The other side of the coin is that the pheremones which make woman more attractive to fish also make them more attractive to biting insects.

Personally I've never used scents, and am carefull not to use scented products before fishing. I wonder if washing your hands in mud on the river bank prior to fishing would help mask the scent?
Old 04-11-2002, 01:20 PM

Wink The Logical Next Step

I wasn't going to mention this, and this post will probably get me reported to a moderator and thrown off the list (again), but,

a good friend of mine has come up with a hair-wing steelhead pattern he calls the "Goodwife Special." I'll leave it to your fervid imaginations as to where he gets the hair for the wings.

He is a firm believer in the efficacy of female pheromones, and yes, his wife does indeed love him.

Cheers,

Eric
Old 04-11-2002, 03:50 PM

Juro, before my next post question ....

I think I'll run it by you first.

The Board has very healthy set of 'imaginations;' wonder how the JoanMeister (insert any other female name here) would react if she found me leaning over her at 3am with a pair of small sizzors?

Don't have the kahoona's to find out ........ a high squeekie voice does not become me.

Last edited by fredaevans; 04-11-2002 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2002, 04:45 PM

Problems

Fred.
I can see a problem, my imagination is working overtime here.
Ok you can sneak around in the middle of the night and get one colour of hair, you might even get away with it but imagine trying to explain that you were just needing some red / blonde / black hair for a special dressing.

I can see I would not be able to afford to fish after leaving the hospital.

Malcolm

www.speygillie.co.uk
Old 04-11-2002, 06:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Lorena Bobbit Hairwing...

[Img]http://stubby.ouch/images/snipped.jpg[img]
Old 04-11-2002, 06:41 PM
Jonesin...

Not highly recommended...

I am new to fly fishing and have not tested this... but a friend and seasoned angler told me that he rinses his flies in saliva by carefully placing them in his mouth. Apparently it is able to neutralize any scent. Not surprisingly, he is also a big proponent of barbless hooks.

Sean
Old 04-11-2002, 08:47 PM

Willie, you make a valid point....

Bill Clinton (sorry Repub. or no, his behavior is/was unacceptable) could make this work. "What's the def. of the word 'is?' " Well, he was educated 'over there.'

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.