Fly Fishing Forum banner

Poly or Nylon?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Roop 
#1 ·
Saw a great deal on nylon rope at K mart . 50' of nylon rope for $4.95 with a ancor hook. However, poly rope floats while nylon sinks. Any advantage to the poly rope? Also the nylon looks softer and would not scratch the paint on the car. What type of rope do you use? FishHawk

#2 · (Edited)
Anchor line or tiedown line??? - you imply it's anchor line, yet you suggest it won't scratch the car - dual purpose???

If you use poly line to tie down over hood and trunk of car, put down 'chafing gear' underneath. Either nylon or poly over paint should be chafe protected; an old cotton towel, expanded foam pipe insulation, whatever you think suits your needs.

Nylon line should be rinsed if you don't want it to stiffen up from salt exposure, and it ought to last a good while. It might hold sand and crap in it's fibers more so than poly if you drag it around, etc.; poly doesn't rot, but is prone to UV dryness and damage, as well as less resistance to fraying over time, etc., blahblahblah.

I own and use both types; hauldowns on the truck are nylon (it runs thru eyes more smoothly) and I don't have roofracks, so it's all tensioning and placement. Poly gets similar rough treatment. Your mileage may vary.

P.S. - poly doesn't float with an anchor on the end unless you lose it overboard altogether, then it'll float in a relatively straight line upward.

#4 ·
For line I'm using from the yak, like for an anchor, I use a light air spinnaker sheet, I think it's 1/8", a weave, available at all boating supply stores.

For connecting yak to vehicle, I swear by the tie down straps I use both the cam ones & jam cleat style. Always make sure to tie off the tag end after you have it tightend up. Drive a ways and check it again until you get familiar with the potential for stretch.
Available anywhere.

Roop

#5 ·
Jeff, a point of discussion:

If you're using actual (woven) braided nylon parachute shroud with unstructured polyester or nylon core, I agree it's light and easy to maintain and very convenient to a kayak user, et al. Not all the stuff sold in stores is the real thing.

Fishhawk: Roop has racks, most likely, and compression straps are perfect for rack mount; faster, cleaner, no figuring what to do with excess line, etc.

As I mentioned before, I don't have racks - that's why I use kayak pads and lines, as well as hitches and compression knots learned over timedo whatever is best for you, but don't lose the thing in the middle of the highway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.