Barry's Pike fly - Page 2 - Fly Fishing Forum
Warmwater flyfishing Bass, pike and even muskies in your backyard

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2002, 03:58 AM
Recent Member

Hi Quentin. Nice to hear from you.Once again I have failed to express myself very well. We have A nuisence fish out here that untill recently was called a Squawfish. The new name for it now is Northern Pike minnow. I have no idea where they came up with that name. Just as an aside.this fish is such A problem there is A bounty on these guys. through out the entire Columbia river system. the colors would be brown gold and A dark tan. I don't know if you have these guys where you are or not. I have A fly that I have tied that is A Carry Stevens Pike pattern that I did from a written recipe. I have seen some pictures of her flys and they are beautiful. The one I tried to do is not.

Because I am A ranke amature here I am trying to stick to what has proven effective for those of you wo have been fishing these guys for some time. Again thank all of you who graciously contributed here. I am intrigued with Daves thoughts on color materials and material placement. I am currently reading a book called What fish See by Colin Kageyama. Has any one read it yet. It is A great read. He is A optometrist and rabid steelheader. He talks about the physiology of the fish ; how why and when they see what the seeThen he talks a lot about color shifts due to distance ,depth and clearity. I am looking foreward to playing with some of this stuff. Dave I think you will really enjoy it. In all of my fishing my favorite fly is the one with the fish firmly attached
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2002, 08:13 AM

Dutchman,

I agree with you that Colin Kageyama's book is good read. I've read it a couple of times and come away with new thoughts each time I read it. The color plates are worth the price of the book alone. One of these days I'd like to replicate some of his pictures in the tea colored water that is common in the northeast, and take a few of surface flies from the fishes view.
Old 04-19-2002, 09:43 AM
Fly chucker

I also have to agree with Dave, especially his assertion that the fly does not necessarily have to imitate the primary forage of the water that's being fished. The most successful pike flies are not always those that represent the natural baitfish accurately; rather, they are attractor flies that prey upon the pike's predatory instincts to feed upon the weak, vulnerable, and obvious.

Come to think of it, the number of attractor patterns in my pike box outnumber the natural imitators by about five to one.
Old 04-19-2002, 10:16 AM
Fluff

Man, am I skating on this one

And on that note:

1. Think of this: if Mepps made Aglia trolling lures in such obnoxious colors and sizes as to match forage and NOT aggravate - there'd be no point. I mean to say if ANYTHING in the forage world remotely looks the same as a yellow google eyed lead head, red thread tied on white over bright green bucktail with a gold willow spinner spoon, I want to see it.

2. Someone direct me to Colin's book. I know I can find it on BN.com, etc.

3. Someone else expect those flies to be posted TOMORROW???:eyecrazy: (burning candles at too many ends or just getting old and tired - I can't figure out which )

Last edited by DFix; 04-19-2002 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-19-2002, 02:09 PM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by Dble Haul
I also have to agree with Dave, especially his assertion that the fly does not necessarily have to imitate the primary forage of the water that's being fished. The most successful pike flies are not always those that represent the natural baitfish accurately; rather, they are attractor flies that prey upon the pike's predatory instincts to feed upon the weak, vulnerable, and obvious.

Come to think of it, the number of attractor patterns in my pike box outnumber the natural imitators by about five to one.
Definitely! My most successful "pike lure" to date doesn't look like anything that I've seen in nature. In fact, it really isn't even a pike lure! It will be interesting to do some side-by-side testing to see if any of my flies can do as well.

Dutchman -- thanks for explaining about the squawfish/northern pike minnow. Obviously, I assumed you were referring to a fly that looked like a pike. My mistake! What's that they say about the word "assume" :hehe:

Q

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.