Flutterbug - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Bonefish/Tarpon Flies Flats candy, mangrove magic

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2002, 09:56 PM
President of CAC

Flutterbug

Location's are the Keys, Andros and Yucatan.... Hook- 2, 4 and 6.... Thread- Tan or Wite..... Tail- Orange, tan or pearl Krystal flash.... Body- Same as tail..... Wing- Tan calf tail (recipe calls for cream racoon tail..no way I had that), splayed and devided by wraps of Krystal flash.... Overwing- Short strands of of krystal flash... Eyes- Bead chain or none.... More details in Browns book and designed by Jack Gartside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dsc00174.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	236  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2002, 07:12 AM

John

That will work for a lot more than just bone fish. Great looking fly
Steelhead, salmon, and smallmouths for sure. Will have to do this one. We love Gartsides Sparrow Nymph for steelhead and trout here in the Great Lakes, heck every one should have some of those in their fly boxes. Its a great great impressionistic nymph with lots of MWM (motion without movement).

Are you tying one each of all of these salt water patterns ?

I'm impressed. My fly tying bench is a mess after 4 months of tying (since December). How does yours look ? (But my fly boxes are full)

Best

Hal

Last edited by pmflyfisher; 04-07-2002 at 07:15 AM.
Old 04-07-2002, 10:53 AM
President of CAC

PM.. thanks for the comments... I had tied so many saltwater flys that I wanted to all those Brown flys as a winter project plus there were tying tecniques I had not tried by doing the Bonefish. Another reason was that our board was lacking in the Bonrfish archive section and I thought It would be a good reference. Most of them are exactly like the recipe but I had to make some changes as I went along. I will continue with the saltwater flys when I get to Chatham since most of my flys are there and I have some interesting ones I will post. Another big reason is that I bought the Digital camera and had installed adobe Photoshop. I even wanted to post the flys from the Steelehead swap but thought someone else was planning that and did not want to step in front... Just for fun I will post a pic of my table.. stuck in a corner of my attic as a further reply to this post...but your right it's a mess.
Old 04-07-2002, 03:39 PM

John.

Yes mine is a mess there is stuff at the bottom that I forgot about since December. My wife says I don't see you going to bars so this is innocent and wholesome to her, I wonder if I should sneak that new fly reel in now, no will wait to the fall. Want to go fishing the rest of the year.

Best

hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.