Cause I'm mobile! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Wanna be striper bum

Cause I'm mobile!

Last night my Dad and I bought yaks - and sweet yaks at that. We won't be able to drag them across a mile long flat when Juro embarks on an assault of the newest bayside honey hole in his Stearns inflatable. However, Monomoy and other offshore hot spots are easily within our reach.

We bought the Necky Zoar Sport Expedition. The boat is 14 feet long and 25 inches wide and the cockpit is roomy enough so that you can pop your knees up through the cockpit and stretch your legs a bit.

The boat came equipped with ample deck rigging and a rudder. It also has fore and aft storage hatches. We bought them tax free at the Kittery Trading Post Paddlesports Show for the discount price of $782. Many thanks to my Dad for giving me a Kittery merchandise credit that was awarded to when he returned a generous gift that he gave to me many moons ago.

I was pumped as I drove away from the show with the new yak on my roof.

My Dad and I bought the same boat in the same light grey color (and we bought the same paddle since all kayaking accessories were tax free and discounted 10%). We both liked this boat too much to pass it up. I may have to get a T-shirt for my Dad that says "Frick". It will match the "Frack" t-shirt that I will wear when I am paddling with him.

See you on the water boys!

Here is a picture of the yak (taken from the Necky website).

Last edited by doogue; 04-06-2002 at 04:44 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2002, 05:51 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...CONGRATS!!!...

...But which one is FASTER?!

...After a long day of chasing each other from spot to spot, you guys might want to look into joining the Yarmouth Anglers Klub...
Instead of Saturday OR Sunday, make a weekend of it...The YAK has spartan but comfortable accommodations...although the management can be a little cranky after having to play catch-up all day with you hi-tech speedsters!

...No cameras allowed in "BlackOps" and please, for your own safety, don't stand too close to the A.M.P.G. (anti-matter particle generator!)

Last edited by Penguin; 04-06-2002 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-06-2002, 06:41 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

All of a sudden my family has an evolved into an Armada.:hehe:
Old 04-06-2002, 06:56 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

...fins and scales next?!...

...I suspect it to be some mutant form of "reverse Dawinian evolution"...
...Formerly terrestrial creatures, the Doogues, like unto grunions, have returned to the sea where they can answer Mother Natures' call of the wild!

(glad to see that you didn't "consolidate" and do one of those hook-n-ladder, semi-articulated, tri-cockpit "family" boats!)

BTW...if you want to do a little frollicking...the YAK is "conveniently" located <1/4 mile from a fine place to launch into the tranquil waters of Lewis Bay (may get to see Ted K go by?!)...

Last edited by Penguin; 04-06-2002 at 07:16 PM.
Old 04-07-2002, 12:26 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Pete,

Man, you crack me up! Hopefully we will rendezvous at the YAC (YAK?) sometime really soon. Hopefully striped friends will make an appearance too.

Are you doing any major renovations at the YAC right now? We are a three man wrecking crew - uh - I mean working crew and we would be happy to help you out.

Let us know!

-Mike
Old 04-07-2002, 08:27 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

They look GREAT! Just to be 100% clear, the pool toy approach is not really a yak solution, it's a niche filler. There will be no way I'll be going to the south tip in my toy; whereby the Doogue Navy would have no problem making that trek. I suspect that I will have difficulty paddling against current, whereas the hardshell sea kayaks have little problem slicing back to the launch point in a tidal outflow while tracking true. I will have no dry storage other than my Sealine backpack as well.

It's intent is to solve a different problem than a yak. The yak meets the need for human-powered mobility in a region of water. The pool toy is a shoal-hopper and roadside over the shoulder blitz chaser. It's a jumper cable, not a local area network. It's a puddle jumper, not a 757. You get the hint.

My yak decision will take a little longer because I really don't know what I want, and I don't have the cash right now. I think with all the great purchases people are making, plus with a little shoal hopping this summer, I will eventually know what I want.

Congrats on the new purchases!
Old 04-07-2002, 10:10 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Juro,

Thanks for the support. You also know that the Doogue Navy is also often a Navy of 2 and not 3 (not to throw dirt on the Army's current slogan: "An Army of One"). That leaves one yak free that you could always use if you wanted to meet up with us.

As an aside - I have a nice 1-man Sevylor raft (well built) that I used to get around Admiralty Island when I was in Alaska. Keep me in mind for any shoal hopping plans that you have this season!

Talk to you soon.

-Mike
Old 04-07-2002, 12:21 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

...suggestions...

...Juro & Honourable Compatriots...
Keep in mind that there are several Yarmouth Anglers Klub (YAK)craft just waiting to get wet...Black Ops is well equipped and, despite the sentry dawgz and trip wires, the current proprietor is always looking for an excuse to go play...
(Juro, read my lips...c'mon down!)
Old 04-07-2002, 12:41 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

...Having a good time/Wish you were here...

...Thanks boys!
All this talk of paddling has pushed me over the falls...
I'm going to Lewis Bay (just down the street) and, depending, it'll either be a run out to the point or a jaunt over to the beach at Hyannis...outa' here!
Old 04-07-2002, 01:26 PM
President of CAC

Pete... could not make it down today...too much stuff here at home.. but I am going down next Saturday for sure... need to clean th place up, no doubt...
Old 04-08-2002, 06:28 AM

Thumbs up

I have the Necky Santa Cruz which I love . Glad to see you chose Necky . A Great seaworthy product. See you on the
on the water. FishHawk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.