weedguards - Fly Fishing Forum
>> Archive: Striper (etc) Flies Tricks of the trade

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2002, 10:43 AM

weedguards

Need to tie a bunch of flies with weedguards, and am trying to balance ease of tying (lazy? who, me?) with effectiveness of guard.

Mono? Wire? Loops? Posts?

Help!!!
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2002, 11:22 AM
President of CAC

Marvin... why ? for striper Flys? I don't think you need them.. Is it Striper flys you are talking about or general Bass flys.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2002, 11:57 AM

I've been tying for freshwater stuff with double mono weed guards this year. I haven't liked the single loops because after a period of time stuck in a fly box the mono takes a set and the point is sticking out to catch weeds.

What I do is take a 6-8" piece of 20-30 # maxima and flatten both ends with pliers. Wrap thread ~ 1/3 of the way down the hook bend. The flattened ends of the mono get tied down, 1 per side, on the side of the hook bend, with the mono forming a loop between the sides. Add zap a gap to seal the threads as needed. Push the loop out of the way & tie the fly.

Leave a little space at the head of fly to tie in the weedguard. When you are finished tying the fly pull one side of the mono forward and size the weed guard. Flatten the mono at the tie in point. Pull the mono loop taught and flatten the second piece of mono at the same location as the first. Tie them both in and tug on the loop to make any minor adjustments.

It took far longer to type or read this than it takes to make the loops this way. I'll take a picture of a fly with a weed guard tied this way this tomorrow if your interested Marvin.
Old 04-04-2002, 01:00 PM

Thanks John (D)- the description seems pretty good, but I'll always look at a pic given the opportunity. How much space do you generally leave between the point and the loop? I assume that I'd want the minimum possible distance that still provides some coverage?

John (M)- this is for an upcoming FL trip- and BTW, you DO realize that you're crushing a lot of egos with all those posted images?
Old 04-04-2002, 01:25 PM

Marvin I try to leave a little space between the point & the loop. The picture below shows the spacing but the double loop doesn't show up that well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wborm.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	194  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.