US Fly Fishing Team Website - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 10:56 AM

Thumbs up US Fly Fishing Team Website

Would someone be interested in hosting / managing a couple of websites. One for the US Youth Fly Fishing Team, and one for an information website on casting and trophy fishing in Arkansas. I already own the addresses and have a potential host for the Youth site.

In trade for your efforts and expenses I would be willing to guide a trip into the Trophy Area on the White River. I only guide a few trips a year so this would be a rare event for me. This is absolutely the best inland Brown Trout fishery in the world. Many of the fish you are sight casting to are 20-30 lbs. In the summer we have spectacular rainbow fisihing. Last year I was working on a rainbow that was over 40" and would have come close to a new world record. Not to mention that the last 2 Brown trout world records came from Arkansas. I'll enclose a picture of a fish from last month.

If you are interested you can post a reply here or email me at flyfishar@hotmail.com

John W. Wilson
Captain US Fly Fishing Team
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpeg
Views:	207
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	173  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2002, 11:05 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I think we can accomodate you! Sounds like a winner, let's talk offline and get this going.

looking forward to it -

Juro
Old 04-02-2002, 11:16 AM

For some reason your email dosn't link to easily. Drop me an email flyfishar@hotmail.com and I'll send you my phone/fax information.
Old 04-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to krauseb
Hi John,
I met someone at Rim Shoals and talked about the youth fly fishing team. Can't remember if it was you.
I just started helping out, Wed's & Fri's ,at the Rim Shoals trout dock for Gary Flippin. Next time you are there, stop by & we can talk about the web site.
They have been runing water around the clock so no wade fishing. It looks like it may be this way for some time with all the water in the lake, and all the run off from the creeks.
Bob Krause.
Old 04-09-2002, 01:55 PM

I called the Dam this yesterday and all 8 generators were running. All the while the lake level has gone from 650 to 660. If the rain doesn't slow down COE will be releasing for flood control. That may have been me that you met that day. I drive an old Camo'ed Jeep with sponsor stickers all over it. It is a TOTAL heap of junk, but it has character, and I can't bring myself to get rid of it. Rim shoal is one of my favorite places to fish. As a matter of fact the small pictur of me on the left here is below the island at Rim Shoal. I'll be sure to look you up the next time I'm up there. Tell Gary I said hello.

John W. Wilson
Old 04-09-2002, 06:52 PM

John ,
I fish down there every Feb.You have a wonderful fishery on the White ,and North Fork.As a matter of fact I caught a few nice fish right where you got that brown. High water is tough, but when the river drops...............
Old 04-09-2002, 07:19 PM

Domenic:

Where did you fish in February? Were you by any chance at the trophy area opening day?

John
Old 04-10-2002, 07:57 PM

John,
We were down Feb 9-16 this year. We stay at Gastons.We had high water most of the week( I have not figured high water fishing out yet.) We tried a boat,sinking lines , long drifts etc. with marginal success. Sculpin woolies ,small marabou jigs etc. . Then the water dropped ,and the fishing was awesome.
High water is tough.I worked hard for the fish I caught, but the low water days made up for it.I was fishing with the Doctor down below the boat ramp on Sunday morning ,and caught a few good ones with peachy king eggs.I also fished the North Fork a few days . I really like that river.I will be down in Turkey Vulture Heaven again next Feb. , maybe we will run into each other then.

Last edited by Domenic; 04-10-2002 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-10-2002, 08:16 PM

Domenic:

The fish in the picture above was caught about February 5th. As I recall they turned water on after that and have really never turned it back off. I am a "fair water" fisherman. If there is much more than 3000 cfs plus the leakage I stay at home or I take my kids fishing on the Norfork. My 5 year old had on a 31"+ fish there about a month ago. He had been broken off so many times that day that his tapered leader must have been 20lb test. He got taken into a root wad and the fight was over in a matter of minutes. He just said "Geee Daddy, was that a big one?", while I layed on the bank recovering from a heart attack.

Look me up the next time you're in Arkansas. There is no "best time of the year" here. Historically, they run lots of water in the spring so it kills the wade fishing. But, May - mid December and about 45 days around February are the best fishing in the world. If you make it in the summer I know where some pockets of MONSTER fish are that go for cool springs flowing into the river.

John W. Wilson
Old 04-11-2002, 04:42 AM

John, I will be down in Feb., and I will email you a week or so before I head down there. Maybe we can hook up. We have been fishing down there the first or second week of Feb for the past five years. High water has not been much of a problem , until this year. Gastons has been a great place to stay. We have spoken to Cane Island (Rebecca) about what they call ''extreme fishing'' (Fishing for those monster browns,I have seen a few ,but never landed a 30'' + fish there)
My largest was a 27'' rainbow.
Old 04-11-2002, 06:48 AM

Domenic:

I know those folks at Gaston's and Cane Island VERY well. Tell Jane and Rebecca I said hello the next time you talk to them. They are the high water Masters. That little period of time in February is a good window. Actually, I have just as much luck with 1/10 the crowds, and 1/10 the water, during the late summer. The big fish hold in some specific locations looking for cool water. Send us all some pictures the next time you go.

John

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.