Second Annual Rhody Jump Start the Season - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 08:49 AM

Second Annual Rhody Jump Start the Season

It's that time again to think about tight lines, a few schoolies, exchange some laughs and spend the day with some friends. Nothing cures the case of the nasties like an early spring fling.

Rhody has been warming up nicely this year. Catches have been made already from some winter over bass. Many have been seeking forage now in other areas. Also think there a some newbees joining in with their brothers now.

Like last year, this would be informal get to gether of sorts. Nothing extravagant. A great prima for those in Boston area or north of who might get fish till three weeks from now.

Possible dates:

April 6th is Rhody Fly Rodders Casting Clinic
April 13th is RI opening day of trout season.

What about April 20th? This would be a Saturday.

By then there will be plenty of schoolies around in all the estuaries. We would be moving to different locations depending on the time and tide of the day. If you get there late, you can touch base by cell phone.

GregO expressed an interest to help organize this gathering. I know Ron Lomas might help too. He was there last year and was very knowledgable about local waters. In between tides, we even stopped for breakfast too.

Is there an interest in the season opener firecracker? Your thoughts please? Nothing elaborate as far as planning.

Last edited by RayStachelek; 04-02-2002 at 09:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2002, 09:11 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Capt. Ray, I had a blast last year. I'd love to do it again, I was hoping you would ask. Let me know if I can help at all!

Nick
Old 04-02-2002, 11:52 AM

Yeah, Baby!

Ray,

I've been waiting to here from you on this, but I didn't want to push (Ha-Ha!).

Because I am changing Jobs, I wanted to use up some Vaca time before I have to start over from Scratch (D'OH!). So, I will be on Vacation (FLA) from April 6th-13. And yes, I've already booked a guide to sight fish for Reds & Sea-Trout!

So, April 14th (Sunday) or 15th (Monday Holiday) would be good for me. Also, the Following weekend (20,21) would also be good.

Let me know what you decide. I guess I will not be able to help much (any) next week, cause I'll be away & won't have Computer Access!

GregO
Old 04-02-2002, 12:12 PM

Hey Ray,

Any boating in your vision of this event? Upper Narry from Colt etc.? 14 foot tin boat like mine be usable? Shorebound? Tell us old wise one.

Lefty
Old 04-02-2002, 01:56 PM

Nick.. GregO welcome aboard.

Lefty.... before we decide if boats should be an issue here, one thought comes to mind.

1. We might be traversing the state looking for prime locations with the tide, water temperatures, and bait supply. Trailering boats could be a problem for access. Yaks would seem OK.

2. Like to stay with the group theme if thats possible. If we could get enough craft that wouldn't be a problem. But it would limit us to certain locations and not give us mobility.

Hey!!.... that's more than one thought, isn't it?
Old 04-02-2002, 02:04 PM

Capt. Ray,
Count me in. I'm itchin to be fishin ! Let me know what I can do.
Old 04-02-2002, 02:11 PM
BB5 Survivor

Ray --

we talked briefly about a similar topic at Wilmington...put me down as a possible. April 20th is preferred....might bow out if the hendricksons are still popping, but let me know.

--j
Old 04-02-2002, 02:43 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Checked w/ my better half; she informs me I will be down the Cape that weekend (20th) with the whole family but if possible I will shoot over from there to meet up with da' gang for the morning or evening (or both).

Almost stripah time!
Old 04-02-2002, 03:10 PM

Sounds like no boats is the way to go for mobility. Thanks Ray.
Old 04-02-2002, 05:12 PM
Jonesin...

Ray,

I am new to flyfishing but would love to join in on an event like this. I live in Providence so I would be happy to help out in any way I can. Please shoot me an email if I can be of any assistance.

seanmcdermott@hotmail.com

Sean
Old 04-03-2002, 08:55 AM
Secret:Time on the water

Ray,
I would be interested and would offer up my boat as a means for a couple of guy's to come along who don't have boats. Let me know what you want to do, you still have my email? Here it is just in case striper@optonline.netWill have to do some prior planning to make it so please let me know as soon as possible Ray. How's your son's game coming along, been out beatin' balls alot lately. With my Dad's health issues it is easier to sneak away to practice for a little while instead of go fishing for many hours. Can't wait to tee it up.

Tightlines,
Mike
Old 04-04-2002, 02:16 AM
CantAnchorUs

Ray, name a time and a place and you know I`ll be there. Tell them about the one you almost knocked over the river!:hehe: Am looking for an ascot and a blue blazer for the maiden voyage of the boat, tyrying for the Thurston Howell 3rd look,
Steve
Old 04-09-2002, 08:47 AM

Saturday April 20 th. Mark that date on your calenders for the 2nd Annual Rhody IceBreaker. More information will be forth coming within the next few days.

Will need to make a list of anglers, e-mail addresses, and cell phone tree to diseminate information. Don't do it now, but just think about it. Look for future post to that affect.
Old 04-09-2002, 11:27 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Just for the record, count me in. I cannot wait.

Captain Ray - any special flies of choice that I should tie up for this affair? Hot colors etc?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 04-09-2002, 11:57 AM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Ray,
I'm still in for the 20th. Let me know how I can help. I can organize emails and cell numbers if you want.

NIck

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.