Earliest bright striper day for you? - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2002, 07:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Question Earliest bright striper day for you?

My earliest was an April 10th day, mid-90's, at the mouth of Bass River on the Cape (Yarmouth side). The river was ebbing and the whole area exploded with schoolies with a couple up to 30". Small silverside and sand eel patterns slayed 'em for hours, then they moved on. Next tide was dead - migrants. That's only a few days away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-02-2002, 08:19 AM

Talking Early

Earliest day for me was February 10th. Just pounded fish one after another for 3 hours. Latest day for me was December 1 last year. Fish blitzed for 4 hours solid! I really cant wait to tie on my first Sand Eel of the season. Its been a while since I heard the silent song of my Able#2. As soon as things heat up I know a couple of really reliable spots in Southern CT if anyone wants to head out and walk the beaches.
Old 04-03-2002, 07:59 AM
Just Plain Nuts

Maybe today?
Old 04-03-2002, 09:50 AM

Mike -

Tell me more! Since the fish spawn in the Hudson, they must be wintering there, but unlike the starving shivering holdovers up here in New England it sounds like they are in a very active state in Feb...
Old 04-03-2002, 11:10 AM

Thumbs up Juro

Well as far as I can figure out ( I've only fished the Hudson for 10-12 years but lived on it my whole life ) there sure are plenty of hold over fish during the winter months. There seems to be an early herring run in late Dec. or early Jan. This tends to bring some spawners up real early. No big cows but 10-20lb fish. They tend to hold on the shallow flats of Piermont and Croton Point. The holding area depends on the salt line. This year due to low water the salt line is up around West Point. Other factors include Winter temps and water flow from the Croton Damn. Most years if everything falls in line ( water flow, herring and water temp ) the fish will be in Croton Bay ( south side ). They like the sandy bottom wich really absorbs the sun and warms the water. If the Croton Damn is flowing at flood stage the fish follow the herring right up this little river. I have had 50 fish evenings there too many times to count. This year its been different. The fish that showed early went straight for the North Bay ( Half Moon Bay ) and stayed there thru the beginning of March. For the most part its a no brainer. You can find them most years in those spots mentioned. As far as the Croton River goes its a waterflow thing. The stronger the current the better the fishing. Access is extremely difficult there. Only 2 places to get in and you need to be a billy goat on top of it. Anytime you have the time give me a hollar and if things are good I will be happy to show you some good early season fishing. Its starting back up now but will soon be done... then I will focus my efforts on CT ,RI and MA. Norwalk CT can be red hot too ( I have the goods on that area too ).
Old 04-03-2002, 08:01 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Maybe not.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:11 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Norwalk

Steelheadmike,

I'm up for a walk around Norwalk any time. I live in Stamford and have fished the area my entire life. But that was by boat. Now that I am a land locked angler, (I had to sell the boat, ), I would really love to explore shore points around the area. As long as my duties as husband and father are complete, and I don't have to work, I'm in. You can get in touch with me the usual ways. Thanks.
Old 04-03-2002, 08:26 PM

Man I don't know. I use my own flys most of the time and I don't think you could ever describe something that hit one of my flies as bright. Juro gave me one of his flies and I caught fish with it in mid May but the problem is that I caught fish in the same spot at about the same time with my own flies so that one could have been a bit dull as well.

Gregg
Old 04-04-2002, 11:08 AM

Question Jimmy

Yeah anytime. I have a small 16.5 ft Tin boat I trailer around with a 50hp on the back. We could use that to put put around too if the fish are off shore a bit. I will be heading up there next week I think, to scout around. Over the years I have heard rumors of BIG fish being caught in April and May. I personally have caught respectable fish in CT in those months but nothing over 18lbs. I used to fish a 1/4 oz clouser in Olive and Tan with Red Crystal Flash.... I used to slay fish in the early season on it, but as time went on I started with fancy flies and kinda lost interest in that pattern. That was until last night I wipped a few together for old time sakes.
Old 04-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Norwalk

Steelheadmike,
This week may be a little tough. We had a death in the family on Friday. I need to stay close to home. There is a slim chance I could do Wednesday or Friday. Let me know about future dates. I would to hook up and see what damage we could do.
Old 04-08-2002, 08:21 AM

Thumbs up No Sweat

Jimmy,

Well I unfortunately am in the office Mon-Fri but I have been known to come down with a 24 hour flu that can only be cured by a trip to my Doctor in Norwalk.. ( he he he ). Weekends are much better for me. Let me know because I may just be taking a ride this coming weekend. ( Word has it that they are picking off schoolies at the mouth of the Housie )
Old 04-12-2002, 05:07 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Talking Today

I had a choice of painting the trim or going fishing for a couple of hours. But do to my eye problem, (I couldn't see my self painting :hehe: ), I opted for the second choice. Headed down to the Stamford shore line around 10AM. Caught the incoming tide. Landed 5 fish between 18 and 22 inches. All were healthy and fiesty with sea lice. Tide went slack around 12:30 and so did my line. Great Day.
Old 04-12-2002, 06:18 PM

YAH BABY!

Great news Jimmy, keep us informed.

I'm thinkin' here... CT is not all that far when you've been coop'ed up all winter. I'm working this weekend but if I drive at night and spend just a few hours I could be in by noon...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.