Heads Up on Nippers - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-01-2002, 05:29 PM

Angry Heads Up on Nippers

Just returned from a month flyfishing vacation taking along my luxury Xmas gift the new Frog Pond titanium nippers together with their 360 degree swivel retractor with its patented "push button" CNC machined stainless steel LOCKING pin. Combo was $40, truly a far cry fromthe 99 cent drugstore nippers I had been using. This item was rated in one of the flyfishing mags as being one of the best gadgets of 2001 and a family member took the bait. Assurance was given by the company rep that the push pin would not loosen so that the combo would not be lost. Well, guess what? All I have left is the push pin...yep, the gadget separated from the pin and despite feeling around on the mucky bottom, it's gone forever...I'm sure the push pin was a solid connection on my tackle bag. I feel certain the company rep will make good on a refund but just wanted to give a "heads up" to anyone feeling they'd like to invest in such a tool. To be honest, I feel the usual cheap nippers I had been using cut a lot better than the highly touted titanium. While they may not rust, they weren't any better and are certainly more expensive. Just a word to the wise...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2002, 06:12 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Bummer!...

...Almost a home-owner's insurance claim...
If you can beg-borrow-steal a water proof metal detector and can return to the scene of the crime...Who knows?!
Thanks for the great head's up!
Old 06-22-2003, 04:40 PM

Well, here we are, over a year later, complaining about the same separation of the patented push pin and retractor/snippers from Frog Pond. They were so nice as to replace the first setup which separated and was lost last year. Now, after fishing the Vineyard last week , the replacement separated as well and I was left with only the "patented" push pin (with the nippers and retractor "lost to the deep". I contacted Frog Pond and the person in charge said they've had only "a handful" of complaints mostly requests for lost push pins. My feeling is this: "if they've "lost the push pin", then the retractor and clipper is lost too, right?". He couldn't understand how the gadget and push pin could have separated (but it did, for the second time, and a $40 gadget was lost underwater. He very nicely offered to send yet another replacement and that's appreciated. If and when it happens again, I'd feel guilty calling them again. All in all, knowing that nothing I did would cause the thing to separate? I'd go with a cheaper nipper plus attachment.
Old 06-22-2003, 07:50 PM

sounds like the "zinger" is the problem. How do you like the nippers?
I have the nippers (17 bucks) and they are pretyy snazzy. They cut well and seem pretty well made. I bought them because I liked the idea of being able to replace the cutters. I figured that I go through a couple of $11 nippers a year and it seemed to make sense untill I tried to get them replaced.......for TWELVE DOLLARS!!!!!! I wish I was kidding.
:eyecrazy:
Old 06-22-2003, 08:06 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The Fishpond nippers do cut...they are razor sharp and stay razor sharp for an extended period of time but like Eddie, I was floored when I called up Fishpond to ask how much new blades would run. The problem is, they ask that you send them back to have them replace the blades...hence the $12 cost.

I have settled on the $6 or so Tie-Fast Nippers. They stay sharp and are very very durable and are not overly expensive.
Old 06-22-2003, 09:12 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

I used to buy the fancy nippers, but they get dull so easy. Now I buy three .99 cent nail clippers at the drug store each spring. Put them on a good zinger and they are as good as any flyshop nipper out there. When they rust up, I throw them away, 2-3 per season at the most. I have enough left over each year so that there is always one stuck between the seats of my pickup truck when I need one.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:25 AM

Cheap Do-able Nippers

The problem with most of us fly fishers is we get too hung up on the latest, greatest gadget and gear, and forget the old adage of, "Keep it simple stupid."

And nippers are an excellent example of this tendency. Do yourself a favor, forget the high end one or two season wonders and go buy yourself a cheap drug store or check out counter set of $0.89 fingernail clippers.

Okay, so you won't look like Lil' Mary Orvis but you'll save a bundle and be surprised how well they'll work perfectly in almost any given situation or type of fly fishing. And when they become dull, well you'll know what to do...

John
Old 06-23-2003, 03:20 AM

Wink

An excellent reminder, John! The nippers and retractor were a gift, which at the time, I thought were a great idea. Keeping it simple is still the best way to go!
Old 06-23-2003, 02:42 PM

In the spirit of keeping it simple, I used nail clippers for years. Cheap they are, but a minor pain in the ass to continually flip over that lever, and God forbid you forget to close it up. The last thing I need is an excuse not to retie my knots, or something to snag my line and blow the best shot of the day. I'd rather not skimp on the tools I use the most. Reminds me of my friend that found his pillow in a dumpster. Great deal!
Old 06-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

No hassle at all! I flip it to the 3rd position - fully open, not in the ready position or closed as you imply. In other words the lever hangs straight down in-line and is an easy flip to use.

Besides, if you use a zinger alongside the chestpack it minimizes the snagginess and I rarely bother opening it up as mentioned above.

To each his/her own. I like not caring about what I cut, I'll even pinch barbs with it and toss it when the little dents bother me. I also cut my nails with it on long fishing trips.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.