Holy Grail II - GREAT TIME! - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-30-2002, 11:35 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Thumbs up Holy Grail II - GREAT TIME!

Lots of tales to tell... I'll get the photo gallery and story up right after the April article (chronomid fishing by Tyler Kushnir).

Holy Grail II, coming soon... (doublespey on the banks of the upper Hoh):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hoh2.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	148  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2002, 11:49 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
Hope you had a good flight home and it was excellent to see and fish alongside you again!!
Old 03-31-2002, 08:50 AM

Ryan the pleasure was all mine to savor the beauty and take part in the legacy of the region's rivers with such great friends. I look forward to the next trip - fall coho / summer steelhead combo in 2003 (or sooner)
Old 03-31-2002, 12:02 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Yeah but umm where are all the fish pictures?

Juro if you come in the fall you gotta come down and float the Klickitat with me..
Old 03-31-2002, 03:37 PM

Thanks for the invite Rob... I'll take you up on it! Just ask the Seattle gang, I'm not just saying that

As far as fish pictures... spring fish are the Holy Grail of flyfishing. You need the stars and moon and fate and lady luck all at once to score a spring native. If you don't get enough out of the fishing itself (vs. the catching) you shouldn't go at all.

Luckily I did land a native steelhead on the Skagit, but even if I had not the trip would have lost none of it's magic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	chapel1.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	149  
Old 03-31-2002, 06:11 PM

Do I spy a Sand Bug in that fishes mouth?
Old 03-31-2002, 08:15 PM
LBFF Mojo

I had a great time as well. Nice to finally meet the boss man Juro as well as Brian, Pete , Bob, Tyler and Ryan from the board. Learned a ton about steelheading. Juro even fixed my single handed cast in a matter of minutes and gave me some impromptu spey lessons on the river. The steelies are in for it this summer before I pack my bags and head out east.

Well off to the florida keys on Wednesday for a date my some bones, tarpon, and if I am lucky a permit. Full report on my return and thanks again all for the great time the past week.

-sean
Old 04-01-2002, 11:36 AM

Yep I think that is Juros Sand Bug and agree even without catching steelhead I am sure it was a great trip for Juro and the others.

The scenery, solitude, friends, and pursuit of steelhead are more important than the actual catching to me any way.
Old 04-01-2002, 05:55 PM

OOPs sorry, yep that's the sand bug but not the yarnbody version I sent to the swap - more the original (see archive, very old post) with marabou tied in beneath the hackles in each of four segments. Golden pheasant verses imitation indian crow; these were pretty large flies on Alec Jackson 1.5 bronze Spey hooks.

This is the actual bug on the Lamson Spey reel just before being cast into the Skagit...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	sandbug3.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	154  
Old 04-01-2002, 06:25 PM
Steelhead-a-holic

Smile A Very Good Time Indeed!

It was a fun trip - Juro's visits always spawn a flurry of tying, Scotch drinking, socializing, and . . . .most importantly FISHING!

His visits are a perfect excuse to the fiancee. "Juro's flying all the way from Boston, so I Have To go Fishing!!" It works ~really~ well!

I'll save the stories for when Holy Grail II comes out, but for now suffice it to say that my biggest challenges were (1) finding a steelhead and (2) avoiding Juro's Roving Electronic Eye. I did marginally well with the first given the conditions, but failed miserably on the second!!

Thanks to Pete , Bob, Tyler, Ryan, and Sean for helping make it a great week of steelheading.

Pete - glad to hear you got back OK. Talked to James (he hit a 24" cutt in one of the desert lakes last weekend :eyecrazy: ) - he's picking up the oars and anchor tonite!

Happy Swinging!

Brian
Old 04-01-2002, 10:02 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Re: A Very Good Time Indeed!

Quote:
Originally posted by Doublespey
(2) avoiding Juro's Roving Electronic Eye. I did marginally well with the first given the conditions, but failed miserably on the second!!

Brian
Ahh...that is being nice. Just refer to him as The Voyeur!! He doesn't mind...

I will say too, that Juro's visits are a blast....they are too short and too much fun.

Looking forward to next time!!
Old 04-02-2002, 09:07 AM

Juro,
Glad you made it out and got a fish too. Sinktip tells me we just missed you Friday on the Sauk. Did get to watch Brian land his fish from across the river though. It's funny we had just commented on fishing the run we were at from the other side when Brian and a friend walked in and fished it. We thought Brian had moved too far up into the fast deep water and would never get down. But bang fish on! Ya got to just love steelhead fishing, every time out you can learn something new.
Enjoy the warm water this week!
OC
Old 04-02-2002, 09:56 AM

Thanks OC! Would have been awesome to hook up with you and Duggan on the Sauk, at least we were on the same water even if we didn't connect.

Ryan - you must be kidding... I can hardly get you out of my way when I take a picture! You even grabbed my steelhead for a picture last fall!

Ok Brian - what fly did you hit that fish on?

J/K - always a total BLAST fishing with you guys, Ryan get out here to striper country like Brian and Tyler one of these days!

Also - thanks for the hospitality.
Old 04-02-2002, 07:50 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Unhappy Wahhhhhhhhhh

Man, don't you guys like me???? I'm sorry I still swing a baitcaster, I promise I'll do better. Geez, I didn't get an invite. I'm just unloved. Don't you know it's not nice to leave me out, especially when I had days off last week.

ROFL. Just teasing. I'll be hitting the Hoh and a couple zippers next week that are producing fish. Hmmmm, maybe if I feel generous, maybe I'll even let ole' sparkey go for a ride on my boat. LOL Will be fishing the Hoh mostly, floating from Morgan's to Oxbow, but will probably do a float on another river at least one day.

Too bad I missed you Juro, would've been nice to meet you. Maybe next time.
Old 04-02-2002, 08:50 PM

My apologies, no one was intentionally left out or forcefully included I just started emailing people randomly. Next time I will be more organized. It will be my pleasure to hook up with you!

Most likely a fall trip next time. Spring is HARD!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.