New 555 series of lines - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2002, 07:54 PM

Post New 555 series of lines

Cortland has been advertising in the mags lately a new series of fly lines. The new series called the "555's" features a new Barrier Construction Technology. Each fly line is uniquely engineered for a specific situation, rather than relying on cookie-cutter designs, says its' advertisements.

The line I'm most interested in is the Little Tunny model. I've enjoyed their 444 series camo line through the years and was very impressed with that performance, but they have made some improvements.

Yesterday I was able to get a whole of this new line through a fly shop. Made some practice cast with in on the grass. Conditions were windy and cold. Not a problem with any coiling or stiffness. Unlike the 444 series that comes in lengths of 90 feet, this line has a whopping 125 feet of line. Hum! better go to a casting clinic to get all that out. All ready have some of these lines on order.

http://www.cortlandline.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2002, 07:37 AM

Ray, if you are casting bigger striper flys with this line you might want to cut the tip back a few feet. This line was designed to cast smaller flys(like the ones you would throw to a "little tuny") and might not turn over a big fly well. Let us know how you like it.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:51 AM

I was running throught the MRC catalog last night and fell asleep before I got to inspect the new 555 offerings.

I currently have/ use 11 lines, 8 are Cortlands. I think their products are great. The one time I had to use customer service the response was excellent. I returned 2 lines; 1 444SL clear intermediate, tangled too much so when I was stretching it before heading out it snapped & a 325 QD that delaminated in it's first season. Wrote a detailed letter on the usage of the lines and got a call back from a technician to dicsuss the defects they found in the lines.

The replacements were/ are awesome - 2 years later with heavy seasonal use.

Look forward to trying out a few 555's. I think their floating clear only goes up to a #6. If they can go higher in line weight do you think they will take over the flats market?

Roop
Old 03-26-2002, 08:03 AM
Steelhead Dreamer

I believe the length of the 444 lines are either 30.4 meters or 35 yds. depending on when they were produced. That equates to 100 and 105 ft. The only exception of a shorter line I have ever seen from Cortland was the early version of the Clear Creek. Their early 444 Spey Lines were 45 yds. long.
Old 03-26-2002, 12:14 PM

Eddie

As you know, turning over a fly is very important for proper distance casting. Cortland, as you have said recommends that you trim the leader line for larger profile flies for the tunny line.

For those of us who like to fine tune are equipment, here's a suggestion for better line proformance in the future. If you seem satisfied buying the same type fly line again, tamper with the old one before you cut it off and through it away. Trim the leader line a foot at a time and try casting it with your standard flies. You will eventually find the right length leader line that optimizes turnover and casting distance. Now every time you replace the same line it will now be preformance enhanced. Do this with varying length leaders too.

This tip brought to you by Fly Fishing Forum. When it come to news, we are the news.
Old 03-27-2002, 08:36 PM

Good tip!

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.