MSBA a hit! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2002, 05:19 PM

MSBA a hit!

Thanks to all who made this a great show! Adrian, Mark, "Penguin" and his usual wit, Jim, Mike, Roop, Juro, and to those I'm sure I missed (my apologies).

Special thanks to Capt. Todd Murphy for his generosity, patience and many tying lessons.

Now I'm sure I'm a bit biased but I dare say we had significantly larger crowds (and that is the right word) around our booth and for much longer than any other booth there. It really seemed like it was THE place to be to learn, swap fish tales, and generally have some fun.

I printed out 100 flyers for the first day and about 80 of them were picked up that day. I printed another 70 for the second day and by the time I arrived at about 12:00 Sunday all of the previous day's flyers were gone and I think a large chunk of the 70 were picked up by the end of today. I personally met at least 4 very enthusastic "Newbies" who I am sure we will be hearing from in the near future.

Again thanks to everyone involved and a great big and hearty thanks to MSBA for the opportunity.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2002, 05:44 PM

I could not make the show, but my Dad swung by. He said the booth looked great & some top notch tying was going on.

So, I missed the show, But we now Have a Working Kitchen (Woo-Hoo)! Still lots of odds-n-ends to do though!
Old 03-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Flats Rat

Great show and incredible amount of interest. Kudos Gregg for pulling this one together!

Greggo, it was great to see your dad again - did he show you the two baitcasting rods he picked up?

Nice to see Bruce Peters again too for a chat, memories of a great day out last season and talk about the possibilities for season to come.

The forum flyers really went well but I was impressed by how many people picked up the "Be A Sportsman" flyer!
Old 03-25-2002, 07:50 AM

Good work Gregg and crew.
Question: What was your impression of MSBA as an organization? Enviromental stance?

Lefty
Old 03-25-2002, 08:22 AM
Fly chucker

It was a treat for me to meet some of the personalities in this forum. The drive up and back with Adrian made the miles pass quickly as we chatted up about fishing past, present, and future. Next time Adrian, we'll have the gear with us!

Gregg, thanks for putting this together and for the opportunity to do some tying. I filled some empty space in my boxes for sure! And you're right about the "attention" that we received.....some was simple curiousity, some genuine interest, some freshwater flyfishers who had yet to try the salt.....and then there were the unfortunate souls who saw the word "Flyfishing" on our booth banner and just kept walking. I expect to see posts from some new members in the near future.

It was nice to meet some of the others here, too. Jim, you and your daughter are quite the tying team! I really enjoyed the shared enthusiasm, and the puppet show at the end of the day. Jeff, sorry you couldn't stay longer, but it was nice to finally meet you. I'm sure that we'll have plenty more opportunities to talk. Watching Capt. Todd tie up some flatwings and cinder worm flies was a treat, Bob Pink stopped by for a chat, and last but not least, I am now aware of the legend that is the Flightless Bird...... .

A special thanks goes out to Tom Dunlap for making it to the show. He delivered my latest fishing toy, a jon boat along with some accessories. It's nice doing transactions with people in this forum, and Tom's arrival at the show underscored the nature of its members. Thanks Tom!

By the way Jeff, where is it again that I can catch that 31" striper?

Last edited by Dble Haul; 03-25-2002 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:31 AM

Nice job guys.

My still feeling ill & having to get back to our new dopted dog cut my visit time short. Sorry I couldn't really offer a hand.

What a great crew we have where the enthusiasm & belief of helping others to appreciate, preserve and enjoy our sport is so easily communicated by each member in their own way.

Congratulations to all who contributed.

Roop

Mark - I'll let you know post recon missions run in conjunction with Area 61.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:56 AM
President of CAC

I am sorry I could not make it and help out Gregg on Saturday as I had planned but home commitments kept me around the house.. and had several play performances to got to for my daughter, (even though I attended three during the week). It sounded like Gregg had things under control when I called and I hope we got new members to check out the site... Bueatiful day today and more to come.
Old 03-25-2002, 09:25 AM

adrian, pete and double haul had things well under control when Audry & I stopped by on Sunday morning. Nice to see the interest and exposure.
A nice suprise to find Bruce Peters there, a chance to refresh some memories from last season. Rich Soriano from FR&R Outfitters was working some of his vise magic (anybody see the sailfish fly? or how about casting that segmented popper/eel??? )
Thanks again to Capt Todd for lending his skills and enthusiasm although I saw the distinct traces of herring run dirt on his boots. Won't be long now before he's figuring out the early arrivals and the only place we'll find him is OTW !
Old 03-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Gregg -

I second your opinion about interest/crowds. The booth was the best attended at the show when I looked in mid-afternoon Saturday. They were two deep for one of Todd Murphy's flatwing sessions. As usual, kids AND grownups were tying and learning, and the Q&A was really substantive--proof that when you share information or actually do something at a show booth (great tying in this case), people will come and will stay to learn.

Great job to all who made it happen.

Jay
Old 03-25-2002, 12:16 PM

Todd, thanks you being so generous with your materials and your time. I got a preview of the fly swap assortment, very impressive. It was nice to not have to drive 50 miles to the show, great seeing everyone. Mark, hope to see you out on the water this year, that was some nice work you were doing on the vice.

I was pleasantly suprised at the number of attendees interested in fly fishing. Greggo, it is my understanding that MSBA actively promotes C&R. I see MSBA as a very positive environmentally freindly group, maybe not on the same level as CCA or TU but a 1st class organization who cares about the resource.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:57 AM
Recent Member

It was nice to see those I saw at the Show. I'm sorry I didn't get to see every one but I could not stay long!

Look forward to seeing you all somewhere or sometime, my two favorite spots for catching the big uns!
Old 03-31-2002, 12:22 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Highest praise and kudos to the gang who made this final winter show a smash! I had no access to the net while up in the mountains but Sean kept us in the loop reporting that the 'Noreasters had done it again with a kickass booth at Cordage with our MSBA brothers. Reading through this thread now I can feel the energy and wish I could have been two places at once! I have every bit of confidence that it was the best of the show, knowing the kind of good people and high spirits we had representing us at the show.

I think it's safe to say that the entire Forum membership deeply appreciates the efforts of everyone who made this event a hit, and that we all owe you a big...

CONGRATULATIONS!

You guys are what makes this organization what it is.

Well, the tying, casting, shows and other indoor antics are finally out of the way for the season... wonder what comes next?????

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.