online casting instructions? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-24-2002, 01:23 AM

online casting instructions?

Hi,

Are there any websites that have diagrams and discussion of casting technique for a beginner?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2002, 06:41 AM

None that I've found.

Try to find some of the Mel Kreiger intro to fly fishing videos or books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...296854-9533558

as well as Joan Wulff's casting instruction books:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...296854-9533558

Good luck,

Roop
Old 03-24-2002, 07:32 AM

Here's something to check out
http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/flycasting/index.shtml
Go to the bottom of the page and click on
On to the first tip
Old 03-25-2002, 07:27 AM
FFF CCI

Also try Orvis at:

http://www.mysportsguru.com/CDA/orvis/roll_cast.html
Old 03-25-2002, 05:23 PM

"Sexyloops" has some very good stuff, this will get you closer to your info

http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/f...s=spey+fishing
Old 03-26-2002, 04:01 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the links.

I was reading something about casting that confused me. It said the line travels in a different plane on the back cast than on the front cast. How is that done? I asssumed you brought your arm straight back on the back cast and then snapped straight forward on the forward cast. Are you supposed to loop your arm somehow at the end of the back cast and the start of the forward cast?
Old 03-26-2002, 07:14 AM
_

Quote:
Originally posted by newbiefish
I was reading something about casting that confused me. It said the line travels in a different plane on the back cast than on the front cast. How is that done? I asssumed you brought your arm straight back on the back cast and then snapped straight forward on the forward cast. Are you supposed to loop your arm somehow at the end of the back cast and the start of the forward cast?
Maybe they mean a different horizontal plane, not the plane through which your arm travels. That is, the back cast is angled upwards, but the forward cast goes straight out. I'm a newbie too, so perhaps someone else can elaborate on this.

Q

Great links too, by the way. The one with the animations is really cool.
Old 03-26-2002, 07:26 AM

You're going to get a million different answers.

Go to a local shop & see if they have an intro class, buy one of the books on the subject, go out with a fly fishing friend, pick up a rod & just experiment.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2002, 10:04 AM

Hi,

I am signed up to take a flyfishing class, but I was doing some reading on my own before it starts. The diagram I saw was from above the caster looking down at the top of their head:

forward...^ ......|
cast........ | .......|
...............|.........|
...............|.........V back cast

X (caster)

I also remember something about the fly catching on the line if you don't have the back cast and forward cast in different vertical planes. How do you achieve that? Do you hold your arm out away from your body on the back cast, then bring it in close before you start the forward cast, or does it just involve starting the back cast with the line laying on the water out to the caster's right.

Last edited by newbiefish; 03-26-2002 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-26-2002, 10:34 AM

Newbie -

I wouldn't worry too much about "vertical plane" issues at this stage of your learning curve--a little like worrying about what color the shutters are before you've poured the foundation. Any wind and modest variation in your arm position on the backcast are likely to elimate the chance of snagging the line with the hook.

You've gotten good advice here, and your inclination to take a course is the right one. No substitute for hands-on experience under the eye of a good teacher. To the earlier Kreh and Wulff resources, I'd add George Roberts' video and booklet. His no-nonsense instruction is geared to getting distance in the salt. His website is:
http://www.whitemouseflyfishing.com/
Old 03-26-2002, 10:52 AM

Practice,practice,practice. Go to the Library abd see what they have. Went there just to go look and ended up getting a card and checking out a few books and video's on fly fishing. You can't go wrong and it's all free. Jim S.
Old 03-26-2002, 04:23 PM
Jonesin...

Casting Instructions

Newbiefish,

I am also brand new to flyfishing and have been doing a lot of research on this subject. From your diagram it appears that you may be referring to a style of casting that Lefty Kreh teaches in which he suggests that for longer casts you should take the rod back to the side on the back cast to allow the rod to travel further back and provide maximum load. (Read Lefty Kreh's Modern Fly Casting Method). If you have the opportunity in your area I would highly recommend going to a fly fishing show and spending some time watching as many casting demonstrations as possible. I had the opportunity to work with Lefty for a few minutes on two occasions, which was invaluable. Good luck with your progress and please let me know if you come across any more good information.

Sean
Old 03-27-2002, 05:43 AM

Hi Smcdermott,

Do you have any advice on fly rods? I have been reading good things about Temple Forks rods(9' 6# 4pc $139) being a great "value", but I went to the fly shop today to check out other alternatives, and of course they want to sell me a Sage DS2 9' 6# 4pc for $275. The guy said it was an entry level rod as does Sage's website. Seems puuuurty expensive (Any noticeable difference for a beginner?). I have also been looking at the Okuma Sierra reel($35, line + backing is extra) or the Okuma Integrity large arbor reel($96 w/ line and backing). Any info you found out would be appreciated.

Last edited by newbiefish; 03-27-2002 at 05:51 AM.
Old 03-27-2002, 09:39 AM
Fluff

Newbie and SmcD-

Much like the other thread on value/price point/personal opinions - if this guy wants to sell you a Sage, decide if you want to buy a Sage. Sounds like I'm trying to stir the pot, but not. The TFO mid-flex graphite (medium-fast, mid-fast, more progressive loading, slower, whatever)probably suits a beginner better than a tip or fast flex blank. So far, without looking at a Sage website, I don't know what they advertise the blank to do; it might be the same speed blank. Thirty bucks isn't much difference - what does thirty bucks difference feel like to your cast?

You owe it to yourself to cast them, feel the actions with lines one size lower and higher than the blank recommends, etc., just like you are looking at the reels for best quality and value.

Test, test, test. Borrow, beg, do whatever is necessary to educate yourself, but be comfortable with the tool in your hand and how it accomodates your mechanics - suit yourself; because every carpenter uses a hammer doesn't mean every carpenter likes the same hammer. The cautionary statement in all this is: 'Don't blame the tool, blame the operator', 'Buyer beware', all that - just educate yourself as best you can.
Old 03-27-2002, 12:58 PM

"Thirty bucks isn't much difference - what does thirty bucks difference feel like to your cast?"

$139(TFO) - $275(Sage) = $136

The Sage is almost twice as expensive as the Temple Forks rod.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.