Where to buy tubing for tube flies around Redmond? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2002, 09:13 PM
Mr. Mom

Where to buy tubing for tube flies around Redmond?

Okay, I've been to Schuck's auto. Been to NAPA auto. Been to "Hobby Town" where they do have the super stiff, kinda brittle, but beam straight white stuff. Been to Home Depot, where the smallest they carry is 1/4 inch O.D. Been to Molbak's on the off chance they might have some. Where can I buy bulk poly and soft nylon tubing in the appropriate sizes around the Redmond area? !?!? I'm about to run out (18" inches or so left and I'm tying saltwater foam sliders... It ain't gonna last!) Any help would be appreciated.
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2002, 10:52 PM

PhilMeister: 2 of the best places for tube fly materials

Are hobby shops that have 'goodies' for model airplane buildiing and trop. fish stores. Between them you'll find 90% of what your looking for in materials. (Buy my stuff there, and have shipped a lot of it to other Board Members out of State)

What you can't find there, Mark B./Staff at the Flyfishing Shop in Welches, OR has any/everything else.
fe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2002, 09:24 PM
Mr. Mom

Well Pet Smart in my neck of the woods was a bust. But on the net I did find some "natural" colored polyethylene tubing (which I believe was what my original 3 feet of mostly clear material was) for 5 cents a foot. Of course, you have to buy 500 feet :eyecrazy: The quest continues...

Last edited by Philster; 03-25-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:51 PM
CND The Spey Underground

Philster,

While I am definitely not in Redmond, I do suggest that you look up model shops that specialize in radio controlled planes and cars. Here in Vancouver I get a product called Golden Rod in a local RC shop. It is used for housing throttle cable and comes in 3' lengths of various diameter, the smallest is a little smaller than a WD-40 tube. As well, I get surgical tubing that I use for the hook holder there as well - it is sold as gas line.

I also use brake line tubing (ask for air brake line) available at auto parts suppliers. Dana got the stuff, it is black and comes in coils - great stuff, it is a little larger but is perfect for Black GPs and Dana's Thompson Stones (see the Fly Archives).

Still Living Large!
Old 03-26-2002, 10:58 AM

While I haven't tied tube flies yet, a couple of places I've used at work for small quantities of plastic tubing are http://www.mcmaster.com/ and http://www.smallparts.com . Mcmaster carr is normally the cheaper of the two. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2002, 09:02 PM

"Philster" if you continue to hit the where can I get it wall

shoot me a email and I'll/ship it to you. Foot long metal tubes are 65 cents each, the plastic ones about 40 cents. A model airplane sized tube cutter (strongly recommended) is $5.00 so you can see this stuff is cheap as dirt.

Frederick_Evans@keybank.com
541 734 2714

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.