Call me insane, How's about a summerrun fly swap? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-23-2002, 11:31 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Call me insane, How's about a summerrun fly swap?

Since all the swaps on the two "salmon" BB's are ending/ended, I thought about organizing a fly swap. I kknow, I'm insane, but I love the ideas you get and love the flies. So, damned the torpedoes, let's get soome feedback. Who wants one? If you're interested, say so on this thread. I'l collect all fly swappers from here.

Ok, I'm setting some rules on this one though. ALL flies MUST be the same, can be on diferent sized hooks but must be same patern/color. I'm setting the deadline out far enough that those interested can be involved, so only join if you plan to get flies in on a fairly decent schedule (couugh cough SPARKEY ). I'd prefer originaals, but if you primarily use standards then send in an old trusty fly.

So, who's game? I was thinking having a signup deadline of April 15th, and then havinn a deadline to have flies in of May 15th. What do you say???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2002, 01:05 PM

Count me in

Will do a great lakes skammania summer run fly so you can see what they look BEFORE they hammer it and tear it apart !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2002, 09:43 PM

Thumbs up I am in.

Count me in !!! looking forward to see what everyone else comes up with. Myself I think I will tie up my version of a pattern called "Black Magic." Looks very buggy and works great skated at any time for Steelhead and sea run cutts. May 15th, better get busy.
Old 03-23-2002, 10:48 PM

"69" count me in!!

Look for more details asap.

And, after the last one, you are a bit (certifiably) nuts.
:hehe:
Old 03-24-2002, 06:44 AM

Location: Many. From NE salt, Russia, Canadian A Salmon, NW Steelhead, Bahamas, Keys. Live in Upstate NY
Wink

69??!!

Didn't you start this thread by stating "call me crazy . . . " last month (2.17.02). I said to count me in. I'm still in, but only if it's the same swap (I don't need 2 separate summer run fly swaps). Perhaps this is proof that you really are certifiable??

bill
Old 03-24-2002, 10:46 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Yup, straight jackets are on their way

Yeah, I started that post only to see who'd be interested. This is the actual sign up here. Hhey, I igured I could have some worse things wrong with me then meistering another swap. Now, if I were to call for a swap and tie up about 12 dozen flies and send them al to myself, THEN I'd be worried. It wouuld almost be as bad as leaving a Sage rod with a Hardy reel somewhere while Ii was fishing.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:35 AM

How could any one leave a Sage rod and Hardy reel on the river ?

Why can't I have such luck. Worst think I ever lost was a fly wallett with about a 75-100 custom flies in it.

Hope the fellow that found them enjoyed them.
Old 03-25-2002, 11:46 AM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
Hey now I had a sage rod and a hardy reel up on the Hoh river this weekend.. Maybe I should go check the back of my truck
Old 03-28-2002, 04:59 AM

Let me know when everything is set. I'll tie something up.

Crusty
Old 04-03-2002, 07:49 PM
Recent Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Mean Gene
Hey, sign me up! I think I can find something to send in.
Old 04-03-2002, 09:56 PM

Jerry,

May 15th we will still be fishing late winter runs out here in Great lakes. Summer runs don't really start until late June except on a couple of zipperlip rivers if the weather and water conditions are right if you know what I mean.

Maybe the due date should be June 15th instead of May 15th.

Just in time for both PNW and Great lakes summer run early arrivals.

Just a thought

Hal
Old 04-03-2002, 10:59 PM
flyfishing catarafter

LOL Hal

I sset it up for Mmay 15th, snce I figured if sparkey iis involved thy flis wouuldn't go out until June 15th anyways. Some of the rivers I fish are already getting summerruns in by llaate May, so figured this way you'd definitely have them for sure by time the season hit.
Old 04-03-2002, 11:34 PM
LBFF Mojo

Count me in as well. If I throw in some extras Jerry will you give me a hint as to where I can find some of these early summerruns you are talking about .

-sean
Old 04-04-2002, 12:32 AM
flyfishing catarafter

Now Sean

They wouldn't be called zippers, now would they.

Just say iit this way, been stelheading snce it used to be ear around fiishing. Ii knnow a couple rivers west of the Ccascades (big enough hint? LOL) that I used to trout fish foor, aand have nailed summerruns. Will normaly hit those rivers first when season opens in June. THen work some of my normaal haaunts once later summer months hit.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:25 AM

Jerry,

Good strategy on the fly swap and you are holding strong on those zipper lips you have learned about over the years, as we have some of those also out here. Let the other guys go through the learning curve like we have, otherwise if you want to give out the information in a public forumn I can assure you there may be 40 cars there when you arrive, as has happened out here to some people that talk to much on the internet.

Then there are those people which give out false information trying to steer people in other directions. Better to say nothing.

Our rivers here are getting way to crowded like the PNW during the peaks of the salmon and steelhead runs. Twenty years ago I can remember going during the peak of the runs and when I walked or floated in to a section away from access points could maybe go all day seeing none or 1-2 other fisherman, those days are now over due to the guides and the drift boats, pontoons, etc which were imported here in the late 1980s. Pontoons just recently.

I am seriously thinking of going back to small stream trout fishing where I started as a FF, where I can again fish in peace most of the time. Have a mother lode of unfished spring creeks in great lakes area that are very accessible and peaceful.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.