Anybody heard of the NW boat building school? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Mr. Mom

Anybody heard of the NW boat building school?

And do they build river boats? Man, would I love one of these babies for the Sound!
http://www.nwboatschool.org/boats/rowboats.htm

Last edited by Philster; 03-22-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2002, 09:02 AM

Philster,
The school is located in Port Townsend and is very famous through out the world for the new shipwrights they put out. You should go out there and take a look at the work that goes on. I have a classic Phil Rhodes 32 foot sloop that I've been rebuilding for 4 years from top to bottom and anytime I've been stumped on a certain project I go to the school for sugestions. They have always been great to me.
Yes that skiff would be increadible on the sound but if I had one made I'd have a motor box put in so you could run a 10 to 20 hp outboard. By using the motor box your engine would be in the center aft area and totally out of the way for fly casting. It would be like having an inboard. My grand father gave me a skiff like the one you show when I was 6 years old, boy was it fun and the maintance was intense and I was made to learn how and do it all before I could use it every summer.
It would be worth the money to own such a boat.
OC
Old 03-25-2002, 09:09 PM

Old World skills are needed to keep the remaining wooden boat fleet afloat the largest boat in my personal flotila, which includes many, no make that too many, is a 47'xi12'x6' wooden trawler the keel was layed in 1916 in Sitka. The old girl has had more rebuilds than Elizabeth Taylor. Two of the most major were in Port Townsend. There is and are a heritage of good boat building by really qualified shipwrights in that fair town.
An old retired long liner friend of mine had a rowing skiff similar to the one shown and rowed it from his house on Jamestown Bay to the Airport for coffe every morning those things certainly are easier to row than a drift boat. The motor well does sound like a pretty good idea for a lot of applications, however those PT shipwrights are a pretty traditional bunch!!! It might offend some of them (kind of like indicators).
Beautiful craft I really like the look of the 10' tender painted white I'll bet it would glide for 6 fathoms with but a single pull of the oars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2002, 10:19 AM

Moonlight,
Your trawler sounds increadible, strong and noble. You must get excited every time you take her out. Everytime I see one like yours I marvel at the workmenship that the shipwrights of long ago put into their work. The new shipwrights are doing great learning and understanding the old trade then using new materials when they fit in.
You are right about the motor well not being a pure tradition and if you want the beauty of a skiff that glides 6 fathoms on every stroke of the oar then leave it out. Motor wells in skiffs became big in the early 50's with the popularity of outboards but by the 60's and fiberglass boats became pleasure craft more than work boats. Back in New England where there are many skilled shipwrights still, the motor well skiff is making a come back, sort of a new/old tradition lost 50 years ago. They are being used for small lobster ventures and by sport fishermen up around the Maine area a lot.
But for a pure skiff I wouldn't hesitate to own one for rowing only and even with our NW tides you could row one and feel safe even off Neah Bay.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.