Orvis Redington ML reel? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2002, 12:03 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Orvis Redington ML reel?

Never seen this, but I like its looks. A little different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 PM

Tioga
Old 03-22-2002, 01:56 PM
Shark Bait

Send a message via AIM to Nick Send a message via Yahoo to Nick
Already have one. Older model, ain't as pretty as the new ones or this beautiful reel. Surprisingly, the more I think about it, the more you are right. I never think about my Tioga unlike the Redington I have. The redington gets the full monty, soap, warm water rinse, everything just to make sure it won't have problems. The tioga gets the warm trunk for a few days. Then maybe a cool dip in the sink. I need another spool for the redington though, and they are seemingly becoming scarse.
Old 03-22-2002, 05:47 PM
Recent Member

Thumbs down Reddington Reel

I picked up a 9/10 AL Redington for a trip last year to BC. Here is a quick timeline:

Day 1: about the 6th fish the drag gives up, I look in the housing and it looks like shaved pencil eraser all over the inside. Drag plate just ground away.
Day 3: My buddy (who I unfortunately talked into buying this same reel) has the exact same things happen to his reel.
Day 3 P.M.: Take my reel into a local dealer and talk him into allowing me to swap it out.
Day 4 A.M.: Reel number THREE goes out-- drag is completely shot.

First day back I call Reddington and explain what happened, "Well, golly we've never heard of such things-- send it in and we'll fix it". "I know this is rated to type 10 lines but you might be over fishing it- I'd recommend an Ari Hart" (I'm sure you would)
Both my friend and I send our reels in, 4 weeks later I get a brand new reel in the mail and my buddy gets his "fixed". I get mine on EBAY ASAP and dump the thing for what I paid for it. My buddy loads his up again and we take it Steelheading,

Sidenote-- I now have a Lamson LS4 and Ross C5. Never happier.

...Ready for this, he catches no fish and as we are coming off the river he shows me the drag... he smoked it just by taking line off to make a cast.
I have talked to local dealers and found that they are having this problem all over the place, for every one they sell they get one back. Hopefully this is isolated to the ALs and being addressed but I was very disappointed and would never recommend their product to anyone.

My 2 bits...
Old 03-22-2002, 10:01 PM

Question

Never heard of the ML series of reels until I saw a bunch on Ebay.I haven't been able to find out anything on them either so I would love to hear if anyone has any info on them.One seller that I emailed regarding them told me that they were not actually a Redington reel at all.He said they were a "knock-off" and were actually a counterfit model made by someone else.This obviously steered me away from them.Another seller said that they were genuine Redington/Orvis reels.I don't know who to belive.I haven't seen them in any Redington catalogue before or on their web site.Are they a new model for 2002?The Tioga reels are built very solid and take a good beating but they have to be the ugliest reels on the market.Personally I wouldn't trade my Redington AS reels for anything in that price range including the Tioga.The Redingtons have been VERY good to me.
Old 03-23-2002, 04:17 AM

Tioga and Ross reels are US made ,have a lifetime warranty, perform well, and give a lot of bang for your buck.I have read about many experiences(not good ones) with the Redingtons, and would not buy a reel that has problems, and may be discontinued . Just my oppinion.
Old 03-23-2002, 08:56 AM

Wow, that is a reel testimony to a junky but good looking new age reel!
May I be so bold as to suggest a drag in steelheading is about as nessecary as electric socks in the Bahamas.
I realize that there are many great new reels on the market but honest to god all you need is an Old Hardy Perfect and you will do just fine. For that matter the newer perfects or Bougle are reasonably good also.
I admit I have had a few failures over the years but most have been Pilot Error, a grain of sand siezing the spool to arbor on a Marquis. Actually have that one on video(Most animated disscourse). And fogeting to loosen the spring tension when storing the Hardys is the most common Error this weakens the tension and a really hot grab will roll the cams around putting your reel in free spool and a very hard bend in your corks!!! But hey it always makes for memorable tales of fish lost for a reason other than he simply threw the hook.
Those golden finishes are kind of pretty, maybe gentlemen do prefer blondes but how would I know!!!
I bought a couple of the Lamsons for Saltwater fishing in Sitka and really gave them the test litteraly hundreds of cohos ocean feeders 7 to 20 pounds day after day no rinseing no maintance rode hard and put away wet. No failures no flaking or peeling no problems. That is worthy of comment!!! If I would have done that to one of my Hardys it would been done for period. I new that , thats why I purchased the Lansoms, I moved out of Sitka a few years ago haven't been on the Salt for Salmon down here yet but have enjoyed a few days for Cutthroat in the bays to the East.
I must get back into the Salt for Salmon, theres something about catching them when there metabolism is all fired up and they do there 100 yard runs while tail walking and cartwheeling that sticks out in your mind even when talking about REELS!
Old 03-23-2002, 06:13 PM
obsessive/compulsive

Send a message via AIM to jimS
Nick, the ML type reels were a prototype. They were machined out of a different alloy than the standard series. That is, the standard production reel was made out of 6061, while the prototype ML was made out of 7075. I have a ML9/10 and the drag system appears to be the same as the standard production reels. The alloy is stronger and lighter than the production reel. This ML reel, according to John Brazelton of Redington, will not go into production.

For individuals that are having problems with the dragon the production reel, the solution is to replace the drag washer with a cork washer. Once the teflon/snythetic drag washer is exposed to lubricant, it loses most of its ability. The cork washer works well.
Old 03-24-2002, 07:19 PM
Recent Member

Redington Fly Reel

I saw the Redington ML series on the Redington website a while ago. When they first introduced their GD and CD reels, they also introduced their ML series at the same time all on the same page. But for some reason, they were not on their site for long. I like the look of the AL and AS better than the ML.

I have a Redington AL, and mine hasn't failed me yet. It certainly has not fallen apart after stripping line off it, or while having a big rainbow take me into my backing. Maybe mine is one of the later models (just got it last summer)... I think they are nice reels, but I don't fish for big tarpon, sailfish, snook, etc.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.