Another newbie gear question (brand specific) - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-22-2002, 11:40 AM
Recent Member

Another newbie gear question (brand specific)

I've been wanting to get into fly fishing for quite some time now. I'm about to purchase a piece of land that has ~1,000 feet of creek frontage, which has trout, pike, and walleye. So no time is better than now to get started! I'm in information overload from reading on the internet. Then someone today at work posts that he is selling a fly rod and reel. Can someone please tell me if this is a total piece of junk that would be a waste of money for a beginner or not?

Here is what he is selling (in his exact words): 8'6" Kuman graphite comp. 6/7 weight line. excellent shape. $35.00 with case. For $10 more he offered to throw in an Ambassador (Diplomat he thinks) reel with Scientific Anglers 7 weight double taper line. So is this a decent package for $45?? I did some searching on the net, and couldn't even find this brand rod.

Many thanks for any help you all can give!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2002, 12:02 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Shag...Get him to throw in a few demo/lessons (to see if it works for you) and it's not like you have to mortgage the house or anything...It's an austere beginning, without going over the edge...Good luck and WADE SAFE!
Old 03-25-2002, 10:35 AM
Fluff

p.s. - Kunnan has a great reputation in the plugging and casting rod areas. Good Luck - too bad we can't help you break in your new waterfront land
Old 03-25-2002, 02:52 PM
Recent Member

Thanks for the tips. I'm actually going to meet the guy in 5 minutes to look at the setup. For $45, I figure I can't really go wrong.

I met with who will be a neighbor on Saturday, and he said on the first day of trout season, there are 150-200 people right in the area fishing the creek!
Old 03-25-2002, 03:34 PM

After opening day of trout season hopefully you will all to your self most of the time. I don't even bother fishing the opening day of trout season out here in great lakes. Many rivers are open 7x24 for salmon and steelhead. The trout in these rivers though have to be released from Sept 30th until the last saturday in April.

Opening day was exciting though back in NJ and NYS waters in my youth.

Good luck ! Love central PA also, great area which I have never fished but drove through many times.
Old 03-25-2002, 08:34 PM

For $45 it would be hard to go too far wrong. Worst case scenerio is you have got a back up or a rod for a friend you want to introduce to fly fishing. Actually if you are introducing him/her it would be the kind thing to let him/her use your "good" set-up.

Gregg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.