Sun effect on plastic yaks - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.50 average. Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 06:33 AM

Post Sun effect on plastic yaks

Saw with my own eyes what effect the sun can have on a plastic yak. It distorts the hull if left to sit in the sun all the time. I never leave my yak in the sun while storing it outside in the summer. Wonder if leaving my yak strapped to*my car for eight hours while I work and then go fishing afterwards would do damage to the yak? Anyone have problems with sun damage on their yaks?
FishHawk
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 10:00 AM
Flats Rat

Good question FishHawk. I'm wondering about my Yak being strapped to the car roof for a day if I decide to 'whimp out' and jump the rip ryder.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the modern plastics (linear polypropylene (sp?)) are more resistant to UV than earlier materials. Long time since I did any Organic Chemistry but UV effects are cumulative over time.

Went to the WS website and they recommend 303 UV protectant. Lots of places to get it - here's one:

http://www.httg.com/uv_protectant_box.htm

Last edited by Adrian; 03-07-2002 at 10:12 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-10-2002, 08:40 PM

I have seen kyaks stored on car racks, under tension, in the sun. They look like a bannana. I'm sure that this promotes manuverability, but can you say weather cock?
Old 03-10-2002, 10:41 PM
President of CAC

Don't worry.. at our ages, by the time the sun ruins your yak you will already have your flats boat:hehe:
Old 03-28-2002, 10:12 PM

I've got a Perception Prism. Unfortunately, I don't use it as much as I should since I bought a power boat. I keep my kayak stored under the shade of a tree. Occasionally, I treat it with Armoral and it seems to be in fine shape so far.
It's a sweet kayak. I've got it rigged up with and anchor line, rod holder and a bucket in the back hatch for live bait.
All this talk makes me want to take it out again! Should be a nice weekend for it too!

Angie
Old 03-29-2002, 06:57 AM

Haven't I seen some real expensive UV protectant spray for yaks?

Angie, I think the Armor All is a great idea, I've wondered if using something, some kind of wax, might help decrease the effort needed to maintain momentum/ speed with a plastic yak.

Any thoughts based on your experiences?

Roop
Old 03-29-2002, 07:21 AM
Middle Aged Member

Saw some 303 at EMS last week for 8 bucks. Boxes looked like they had been hanging around awile - don't know what the shelf life is. This stuff normally goes for about $15.

Does Armoural offer UV protection?

One thing I don't expect to do is hand the plastic yak down to my grandchildren. My guess is after 4 or 5 summers lashed to the roof of the car and it's ready for the milk bottle recyling bin.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.