Hudson Stripes - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2002, 12:25 PM

Thumbs up Hudson Stripes

Fished 3/14-3/17. Picked up 15-20 fish a day in the Hudson. Most fish 5-6 lbs but many in the double digits. Tried the flyrod but could not get any strikes. Needed to be on the bottom of 10-13ft of water. Will try again when the weather breaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2002, 12:44 PM
Fly chucker

It's good to hear that your striper action is getting to be consistent. Mike, check out the thread in this section about a possible CT Clave. Let us know if any of the dates are doable for you, as we'd love to see you out there.
Old 03-19-2002, 07:42 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Mike -

Curious... are they up in the river or at the mouth this time of year? How are the spawning numbers this year? How far is it for me to drive?

Seriously, I am curious about where our striped friends hang out during the winter. I have caught some nice fish with the hudson r. yellow plastic tags over the last few years so I know they are often the same fish.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:02 AM

Juro

Well Juro I am fishing about 45 miles North of Manhattan in the town of Croton. I personally live about 15 minutes from Croton. The spawning numbers of fish look GREAT this year. I can only judge it by the numbers of 5-20lb fish I caught this season so far. My freind and I estimate within the last 4 weeks we boated close to if not over 200 fish. This time of year a small boat 14ft-17ft is a real asset since the fish tend to hold in 7-13ft of water. The reason I am unsure of but think that these sandy bottoms with scattered oyster/mussel beds tend to warm up faster. Fish are present all winter up here, mostly resident fish that don't migrate. Within the next few weeks things will get fast and furious up here. After that you need to move North to Wappengers then to Kingston. Once again if you own a small craft even a kyak you can not only put numbers under your belt but also some weight ( fish to 40lb are very real around here!! ) I have hooked fish that broke 30lb tippet like ut was 2lb!! As far as on the fly around here almost no one does it out here. I have been laughed at and teased but hey its all in fun. I am not a purist but I very very rarely bait fish. I use artificials / fly's 99% of the time. If you would like to drive up here let me know I would be glad to show you some areas that can be "hot" from shore or from a boat.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:17 AM

CT Clave

I will check my calender for those dates. I usually fish lower down in CT at those times. Norwalk, Fairfeild and Bridgeport areas seem to host great numbers around then as well. I will certainly let you guys know. Could I bring a freind or two?? I fish with some great guys that would really like to roll up there and learn some new areas.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:21 AM
Fly chucker

Re: CT Clave

Quote:
Originally posted by steelheadmike
Could I bring a freind or two?? I fish with some great guys that would really like to roll up there and learn some new areas.
Mike, the more the merrier. We'll let you know when the dates firm up, and if things turn on around Norwalk I'd love to learn that area as well.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:41 AM

Talking Back of Hand

I know most of the beaches like the back of my hand down there. Now the Islands in a boat I am still learning. They are tuff to figure out also very dangerous in a boat if you are not very careful. Let me know if you ever want to take a hike and fish that area. I usually do very well.
Old 03-20-2002, 04:57 AM

Heard of a similar report about the Thames River in Conn. Stripers caught on bottom and very sluggish. Holdover fish. Talked to a tackle shop in Nortport LI. Stripers around but not hitting the water is too cool. It won't be long now.
FishHawk
Old 03-20-2002, 08:30 AM

Holdover

I did catch a few holdover fish in the mix. Usually you can tell by the washed out color they have. 85% of the fish I caught were fresh from the Ocean. They had Sea Lice all over them and their color is dark and crisp with a hint of purple on their stripes. As far as sluggish goes these fish are fighting like the water temp is in the mid 50's! Honestly in years past the fish come in like dead logs but not this year, they are full of p*ss and vinegar. This looks like it will be even better than last year. Just an indicator to how good it was last year, my uncle, two freinds and I landed and released 182 stripers in 8 hours!!!! Not all huge but all respectable with many fish in the teens. ( We actually kept a log with our names on it and for every fish we put a check mark then added them all up ). Not bad hugh?
Old 03-20-2002, 11:20 PM
Flats Rat

Mike, I can make the trip over to Croton in under an hour. If the weather should improve I might launch the yak over there this Saturday!
Old 03-21-2002, 08:51 AM

Thumbs down Kyak

Uh Oh.... I'm not sure if you looked at the weather this weekend but its going to be WINDY and COLD. Those are 2 sure fire conditions to turn the fish off. I think I am going to bide my time until the next warm spell. Let me know if you are still going. I could meet you at the ramp in Ossining to b.s for a few and by then I should have a up to date report on where to target your efforts.

Tight Lines
Old 03-21-2002, 08:59 AM
NC Fly Guy

fly on bottom

You can easily get to those fish on the bottom using a shooting head of around 24 - 27 feet long of Cortland LC-13 line attached to a running line. I routinely nail around 100 fish per day on the Roanoke River here in NC in water up to 25 feet this way! Big streamers + lead core = stripers. I hope you try it. Leave the spinning and casting rods at home!!!
Old 03-21-2002, 10:20 AM

Gordon,

What do you use for a running line? Int?
How do you attach the LC-13? Which knot? Cover it?

Thanks,
Lefty
Old 03-21-2002, 10:35 AM
NC Fly Guy

The way I do it

Others may do it differently but this is how I do it:
I like the braided mono running line. It is a good compromise between handling ability and sink rate. Amnesia sinks faster but handles like a nightmare. Some of the new running lines handle better but don't sink as fast. I attach the running line to the head with a nail knot!!! Let me say again: nail knot. This assures that the connection won't come apart on a snag or (heaven forbid) a fish. I have reel spools that I use only for lead core fishing so changing the lines out is not a problem for me. I don't use anything to cover the knot. The glue would just get knocked off after a while anyways and it would make the junction a bit too bulky. The nail knot slips through the guides pretty easily, you can hear it hit the tip top when you strip it in and when you are getting it out, but that's about it. I hope this helps you out and don't hesitate if you have any more questions. Sitting at home today with two cancellations in the next two days and besides my truck is in the shop with oil leaking out of it from about 18 different places. $1000 down the tubes...
Old 03-21-2002, 11:28 AM
Wanna be striper bum

Weekend of April 6th

My mother-in-lawis coming to town in a few weeks and that means that I may very well be free over the weekend of April 6th. I was thinking about hitting RI or Connecticut and tryin my hand at some of the local striper fishing.

Steelheadmike and Dble Haul - any interest in meeting up that weekend? Adrian - might you be around too?

And Juro - if you want to head down with me then I will drive!

Thanks,

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.