Is this to much stealth ? - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-18-2002, 06:50 AM

Is this to much stealth ?

Ran into this while surfing for my new thinsulate fishing hat.

Probably to drastic a solution to catch that big brown that is always present in a small zipperlip creek I fish. I call it the one cast hole that is all you get before they see you. Perhaps I could get there before day break with the below camoflage and get more than one cast ?

I look forward to your feedback. (This web site does have some interesting things you may want to consider though). I am sure I could use this to lose some weight though, imagine being in that on an 80 degree plus day.

http://www.transworldsurplus.co.uk/i...gilly_suit.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2002, 08:28 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Boy these guys could use some lessons on image / byte size reduction!

Anyway, this reminds me of a day on the Sol duc with a guy wearing bright clothing. After much razzing of my preference for earth tones on the river in summertime, I spotted a nice steelhead and called him over to check it out. I was standing so close I could hit it with the rod tip, but as soon as he got within the fish's range of vision he send it screaming downriver.

I fish the flats hard all season and clothing color is important to stripers in mid-day sun, knee deep crystal clear waters. I have a few experiments planned for this summer in this respect, but of course nothing in this class of camo.
Old 03-18-2002, 10:11 AM
President of CAC

That's for hunting right? was it in a fishing section?
Old 03-18-2002, 10:29 AM

Bright Color Impacts

Juro,

Yes I believe that about the bright color effects on trout and andramous fish. I try to wear only green, tan, brown, or camo colors for steelhead and trout river fishing. Makes a difference on the clear smaller streams/rivers fished in Great Lakes. Made the mistake of wearing bright red and blue hats in the early 80s and wondered why the steelhead and browns were bolting as I approached them stealthily from down stream.

I think I found my new camo thinsulate hat. Hint, search for water fowl (duck, goose) web sites.

Striblue, this was a military surplus web site. Suppose that camo set up would be usable for goose and duck hunters that sit in the same place all day, not suitable for us mobile fly fisherman though. Can't imagine trekking that into some of the small streams fished out here. My heart is pounding on the trek in without lugging something like that, due to the hills that have to be walked in some areas. Great exercise though.

Hal
Old 03-18-2002, 11:30 AM

Hal, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only who sometimes wears camo clothing while fishing. IMHO the only time to wear the bright colors in the woods is when it's hunting season.
Old 03-18-2002, 12:05 PM

Now if I were trying to sneak up on somebody it would be just the ticket. But try false casting with that on and see how much noise you would make. Jim
Old 03-18-2002, 02:31 PM

John,

I made the mistake of not wearing orange during steelhead season 20 years ago in Michigan during the deer rifle season (November) and it is also when the fall steelhead fishing is prime.

I cut through the woods to get to another part of the river it winds all over the place. As I came around a clearing some young hunter had is 30/06 leveled on me, thought I was a white tail. He was hunting on private property where he should not have been, but fisherman trails are allowed through this area. Now I know better during the two week rifle season. Wear orange and be careful where you walk through the woods.

Old Man

I bet I could false cast with that on at least one time, that is all you would get on this particular hole I was thinking of it applying it to. I will get this big one during the Hex hatch at midnight, thats when they are most vulnerable. No what the famed Michigan Hex hatch is ?
Old 03-26-2002, 11:43 PM
Mr. Mom

Talking

I have one hyphenated word for anyone needing either aqua-flage or brush-flage: Tie-Dye
Old 03-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Fluff

For anyone who doesn't know, the suit originates in the military.
Old 03-27-2002, 01:28 PM

Yes this is a military surplus site, must be the Brits idea certainly not a US military approach with all of our smart weapon technology, Ex-USAF guy here.

:hehe: :hehe:
Old 03-27-2002, 03:12 PM
Just Plain Nuts

Sniper

I think the gilly is still used by the US Forces. It's employed by snipers for the obvious reasons. A good friend of mine "borrowed" mine a few years back. No longer have either one.
Old 03-27-2002, 05:42 PM

Probably getting used right now and we know where.

Hope it is very effective since I lost a close business colleague
at WTC
Old 04-04-2002, 11:28 AM

PMflyfisher:

Just a comment about that big brown in the "one cast pool". I have gone round and round with my buddies about Brown Trout vision. Their contention is that Browns have the eyes of Eagles and can distinguish the difference between a barbless size #28 midge and one with the barb left on, at the distance of at least 100 feet. Personally, I think they are all but blind ( I can imagine the eyes are rolling). Let me qualify that somewhat by saying that their vision is not that important to them. From a vision perpective brown trout seem to be very motion sensitive. But their #1 mode of sensation they use both for hunting and avoiding preditors is their lateral line. The browns I have experienced are suckers for a good drift and a properly placed fly. Did I mention they are lazy too because they rarely will move to take a fly in the daytime. But if you make the mistake of "crunching" the gravel, slapping the flyline, or throwing the flyline over the fish, "you're busted" and you'll never get a take. They won't run, they wont hide, they'll just sit there and lip lock.

Sometimes I just hate'em:eyecrazy:

John W.Wilson
Old 04-04-2002, 04:13 PM

I read a book about fishing the Battenkill where the author professed a technique for fishing for browns that went something like this: pick your spot, take 1/2 hour or more to slowly move to it, and wait 1/2 hour or more before starting to fish. Doing it all at night is even better.
Old 04-04-2002, 06:54 PM

John,

I grew up fishing wary browns my first 20 years on the Beaverkill and other Catskill rivers then the last 20 years great lakes (michigan, wisconsin, indiana) rivers and creeks etc. .

In my experience if you want to catch a big brown, fish at night, I mean pitch dark midnight is when they cruise the river from out of their hide outs under cut banks, logs, downed trees etc.. In Michigan we fish the Hex hatch from 10 PM to 2 AM or more in the pitch dark. When the hatch is on the big browns are out there. Other wise fish streamers at night for them. Not many FF can take fishing in pitch darkness it takes a special breed to do it.

When I was 15 one early morning on the Big Delaware by Hancock at Fishes Eddy I spooked a big brown in the shallows because I was to stupid to realize they will lay in the shallow riffles in the early morning until the light comes. Actually I think the big ones are gone back into their hide outs before light ever breaks on the river most days they are so stealthy. Well I came back to the same pool on the Delaware that night specifically for that fish. Had a regular 6 weight trout set up. Took a Grey Ghost and began stripping it through his pool on about the third cast all hell broke loose. Must have been a 28 to 30 inch brown, which I started chasing down river, I had no backing just the fly line. Had him on for a while but almost drowned trying to stay up with him. Couple of more head shakes and he broke me off.

Great memory, browns are very wary I think they are the smartest of the trouts my self. Just saw an article on this if I can find it will post it up here.

Good luck in your pursuits, heard those Arkansas waters are great soon one of my business friends will retiring down there and he fishes, has invited me down any time I want to. Have to take him up on it.

Hal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.