Tibor Back Country Wide? - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2002, 02:09 PM
Recent Member

Tibor Back Country Wide?

Hi,
I was looking into the Ross Canyon BG.
But now, the "Tibor Back Country Wide" has been recommended a couple of times.
My questions are:
Do you think it will balance nicely with a 10 foot, 8 weight, Sage XP?
The specifications on this reel says it can hold 225 yards of WF8F line. It said this exactly, but does it mean 225 yards of backing, PLUS a weight forward floating fly line?
How would you compare the Tibor Back Country Wide to the Ross Canyon BG? Is the Tibor just as nice or better?
Is the reel itself nice?
It looks like a nice reel!
http://www.tiborreel.com/backc.html
http://www.tiborreel.com/tiblsiz.html

Thank You Very Much!!!...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2002, 06:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Both are great reels, many here are happy with the Canyon and the new back country wide is making a serious play for that price / performance niche @ $335

What are you going to use it for?
Old 03-17-2002, 08:19 PM
Recent Member

Tibor Back Country Wide?

I'd use it for steelhead and salmon...
Old 03-17-2002, 09:55 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

The Tibor does come in a variety of colors including black, and it's a damn good price considering - but IMHO if you do any spool swapping like many of the northeastern striper gang or if you want to double up the reel for use in ocean coho situations as well as river steelhead you are better off with the Ross w/ extra spool.

If you plan to rig it up with a hybrid tip line system and use only one flyline with tips, the Tibor is a steal at $335. Of course I am judging on past reputation - I have not fished it to say firsthand.

You have my curiosity up though, I'll have to take a hard look at them next chance I get.
Old 03-17-2002, 10:52 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
The Tibor Lights are absolutely beautiful reels. One of these days I am going to drop the coin on the Spring Creek to put on a 490 SP that is still reelless.

The features that make the Tibor Light such amazing trout reels i.e. weight (lackthereof), smooth & light drag system do not necassarily make them amazing salmon/steelhead reels.

The drag system on the Tibor Light's are specifically designed for use with light tippets as you can set the drag to the lightest of pressures and spool will not overrun when you get a fish that takes off.

The Canyon's on the other hand are a work horse. They are bullet-proof and come with a full 360 degree synthetic drag (180 degree cork that is applied vertically rather then horizontally on the Tibor Light) that has very low startup even when it is set at high pressures.

The drag adjustment is also much more accesible on the Canyon where as on the Tibor Light it is much smaller and is modeled after the drag screws on the old Hardys.

For trout, I would take the Tibor Light anyday but for the use and abuse (if you are hard on your equipment) it is going to have to sustain, I would choose the Canyon.

Last edited by NrthFrk16; 03-17-2002 at 10:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:55 PM
Recent Member

Question Thanks!

Thanks for the help!
What would you say about the Billy Pate Fly Reel, or the Penn International Fly Reel. They both look very nice, but is one better than the other? What DO and DON'T you like about these reels?
Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-22-2002, 10:10 PM

I think you are looking for a steelhead rig.The Pate and Penn are fine reels, but both are a pain to change spools. I don't know how you fish, but I would want to have a spool set up for shooting heads, and another with a steelhead taper floating line. Now, if you got both the Pate and the Penn, you wouldn't have any problems, and if you only fish a floating line(lucky you), either of those will work. But if you are fishing different lines, stick with the Ross, Tibor Light, Sage, Loop, Orvis Vortex/Battenkill or any of the other reels that have easy to change spools(ie.no loose parts).
The Pate is proven bomb proof and smooth. Would double as a hammer in a pinch.
The Penns haven't really caught on. Probably because most flyshops don't carry Penn products. I hear they are considered the ultimate mooching reels in the Pacific NW. I think that's a good thing?
Old 03-28-2002, 08:58 PM

I have the Tibor Lite Backcountry on my 6 wt rod. I haven't had it very long and am anxious to try the drag system out on a reel-screaming bonefish!
I do wish that the drag was a little easier to adjust. It seems very sensitive.
I like the reel but if I had to do it all over again, I think I'd spend a little more and get the Tibor Freestone.

Angie

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.