Moving to Saltwater - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 09:35 AM
Will fish for beer

Question Moving to Saltwater

Hi, everybody!

I will be moving to Chesapeake VA this summer and making the move from small trout waters to saltwater. Can anybody give me some ideas on an "ideal" saltwater set-up for that part of the world.

I've been F-fishing for 20 years, all of it on fresh water. So, I have no idea what I am getting myself into or even how to fish for saltwater gamefish. I presume that I'll be fishing from jetties or the beach.

Any info you can give on rod (length & weight), reel, line (weight and taper), etc would be greatly appreciated.

"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." --by Jack Handy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2002, 09:50 AM

Can't speak specifically for Va. But here in the northeast a 9 wt. rod is the best all around to use. Many people fish 8 wts. and a few bring out the 7 wts. for schoolies. What I did was start with a cheap Pflueger 9/10 wt. for about $90. I was not sure I was going to get into the salt. But I'll guess it will turn out that if you live near the ocean you WILL prefer it. You can get a decent 8 or 9 wt. for $150 too. Look at Temple Forks rods. For the money they cast great. The best all around line is the Intermediate sink rate. You can get the fly down in deeper water by counting to 10 or 20 etc. Or you can quickly retreive and keep it near the surface. Later you may find that you need a fast sink line to get down in the stiff current. Shooting heads are great for that too.
Also in the northeast, stripping baskets are a must. You can not mend the line enough in the surf or tidal current. You will be constantly tangled in your own boots or wrapped around jetty rocks. Buy a $4.00 rubbermaid tub and fasten a nylon belt to it. Good luck and fire away with more questions.

Lefty
Old 03-15-2002, 10:22 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Redleg -

That's quite a move! I've been there, done that. You'll be one of the lucky guys who get to fish stripers in the middle of the winter while those further north (like me) freeze.

Been to VA several times, very nice. I can't get enough of those Chesapeake crab cakes

Lefty's advice is right on. If you're gonna get one, get a 9wt setup. Welcome to the fraternity of the striped bass.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:35 AM
Flats Rat

Welcome aboard!

I spent the millenium celebs. down on the OBX and I had a serious case of goosebumps going over the 'Chessie' bridge/tunnel. The tidewater region is vast with a capital "V" and as Juro says, you can have fun all year round.
Old 03-15-2002, 12:10 PM
Fly chucker

Welcome to the world of the brine! Waring: once you hook a striper on a fly, you may never look at a trout the same way again. This is not to say that trout fishing will lose its charm; rather, the difference in strength of an ocean fish vs. a small stream or river fish is pretty substantial.

Capt. Gordon is a forum member who might be able to give you some more info about Virginia's coast. He's located in North Carolina and is another fortunate soul who gets to fish year round.

Good luck and have fun.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.