Beaver lodge question - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2002, 09:08 AM

Beaver lodge question

One of my favorite warm water ponds is inhabited by a beaver who, has built his lodge on the shore. Yesterday I fished there and found that the expanded lodge is sticking into the road circling the pond. Having angered beavers many times while wading I tend to give them a wide berth, the location of this lodge makes it difficult to keep more than a few feet, and I'm not comfortable with that.

So how much distance do you keep between yourself and a beaver lodge?
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2002, 10:19 AM

Never had a problem myself they seem to be very wary and as soon as they see me they are hightailing it.

To get into a remote lake in Northern Wisconsin wilderness area we had to go through a small channel through a swamp. At the head of the channel was a LARGE beaver house and their dam, which we had to drag the 16 foot lund over to continue through the swamp to the hidden lake.

Never had a problem, nor saw these beavers. They are nocturnal for the most part.

I am not afraid of them, water snakes are a different story.

Almost stepped on a huge one once on the Willwomuc while trout fishing years ago. Still remember that vision and my abrupt 180 degree turn around that big fellow.

My .02 cents
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2002, 11:45 AM

Thanks Hal, I agree with you that beavers in general are a very placid animal. The past couple of years have seen an explosion in their population in Massachussetts due to a ballot initiative that passed to "Ban Cruel Traps" among other things.

Since then I have had several experiences on rivers where a beaver will swim through the pool your fishing, then turn around and come back through 5 feet closer. After the third or fourth pass through I normally leave the beaver his pool.
On the snakes I agree with you.
Old 03-18-2002, 07:50 PM

John,

I agree, I would exit also if they did that to me. Never know could have rabies if they did bite you. Would not be pleasant experience.

Do not see them to much on the rivers out here, mostly in the swamps and lakes.

Hal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.