Never spread a rumor before but...... - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2002, 07:32 PM

Never spread a rumor before but......

Just got off phone with a very sincere chap who had been tipped off by a reliable source, that the west side rivers are about to be closed on an emergency basis. The exception would be the Sol Duc which would remain open for Chinook.
As slow as it has been I was suprised I had not heard any closeur rumors before now. All the time I have spent on the Hoh this year I have seen very few fish and without exception every "Great" fish report I have heard has included half or better spawn outs of hatchery origins from before the rivers finally became fishable.
I likewise have heard of distressingly poor numbers of fish in the Quillayute system but other than looking off of bridges and high banks at some of my indicator holes (no Ryan not that kind of indicator) to see what is around I haven't actually been on the water per say. However the indicators would show a definite prejudice for fewer fish in the Sol Duc than last year.
What does this all mean? Good question I'm sure somebody with a lot less time running around the rivers of the west end than me will give us all the answers and soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My gut feel - favorable conditions at sea, they are just late. How do I know? I haven't a clue, just can't be that abysmal in a record return year. We'll see.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:25 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Juro-
I sent you an email regarding this before I visited the site for the evening...but I am going to talk to Bob tonight or tomorrow and see if I can get some more details for you. Once I get them, I'll pass them on to you and the rest of FlyTalk.

It may quickly turn into a cliche but I can not help but notice the whole irony in this all. The year that the State turns down statewide wild steelhead release because the OP rivers are boiling with fish and spawning ontop of one another, all those river are closed under an emergency rule because there are no fish returning.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:03 PM
LBFF Mojo

Hmmm well I guess if the rivers are hurting we should lock em down...

However I will be surprised if the WDFW has the gall to shut it down with the recent ruling. If the runs are truly as bad as people have been saying I would hope the department will do something about it rather than let it go just to save face.

I mean I was looking forward to hitting the OP rivers this year as much as the next guy but not at the expense of our steelies(like I would catch one anyway ).

-sean
Old 03-11-2002, 11:50 PM
flyfishing catarafter

Send a message via AIM to Steelheader69 Send a message via Yahoo to Steelheader69
Don't count your chickens before they hatch

Gut feeling I'd say Juro iis probablly right. Ii'm not a relic, buut have been steelhead fishing here for over 25 years. Rremember when we'd fish steelhead year round? You had peaks, but for most part there always seemed to be fish there. Iit could siimply be run timing. They could be delayed for maay different reasons. Prime example.

Abouut 4 years ago my Dad and I were on our yearly fishing trip in Ooctober. We normally slay the silvers and kings on the coast. The rivers were shutting down for salmon on the 31st of Ooctober. We did good hittign silvers andd chums, but NO kings. Not even a king jack. Ggues what happened?? Was fishing for early winterruns in mid November and the kings showed up finally. Hhad to release them since the salmon season was closed, but caaught some big, bright, sealie covered brutes. All a month late. With the way weather has been, I'm sure the atmospheric pressures have ben throwing the fish off.

Only time will tell.
Old 03-12-2002, 12:09 AM

I have a hard time believing that the fish are this late. We have had high enough flows to allow easy passage into all the rivers. If there isn't a whole wod of fish in the coastal rivers after this high water subsides than I think were in a whole lot of trouble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.