Forget It! - Fly Fishing Forum
Gear Talk - Fly Stuff Spoken Here Sage advice & fresh perspectives

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2002, 11:45 AM
President of CAC

Forget It!

Well, with all that talk about me looking into buying a SEAMASTER reel, I called today and was going to place the order for a Mark lll. The owner tells me that He builds them to order and it would take 6 months for me to get it... needed to put 50% down... also the original price I thought was about $1300... now I am told it's $1590. Forget it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2002, 12:03 PM
BB5 Survivor

John --

at that price, it's probably the best money you never spent!

--j
Old 03-11-2002, 12:20 PM
Fluff

Nobody ratted you out

Besides, it just whets the appetite for some other new toy - like a Powell Tiburon . Nah, forget it - maybe you should refinish the floor of CAC
Old 03-11-2002, 06:33 PM

Exclamation DOCUMENTATION!

John - document this "non-purchase" for future reference!

The next time you get veto-ed by the Mrs. just pull it out and say, "But I've already saved us 1500! Buying this (object of desire) is only gonna reduce the profit by X dollars."

Be warned she may want to take the balance of the "profit" for herself - take her to dinner for the discussion, that way you can treat her and still get funding.

"Age & treachery will out smart youth & agility" somethinglikethat
Old 03-11-2002, 07:03 PM

I never really got Sea Master reels. They are beautiful. They are finished better than any reel. They are smooth and built like tanks. But they are so expensive...and heavy...and what about large arbor?
Then, one day at BoneFish Bob's I saw the reel deal. It was an old one in mint condition. Smoother than a Swiss watch. And what was your option back in the day? A Pfluger? Wow! Those Sea Masters paved the way. Still, you would never fish with that collectors item. It would be like fishing a mint Garrison bamboo. I think that the modern Sea Master is like a modern Bamboo rod. Not better, but nicer.
Next time any of you are in Isla Morada, stop in to Bone Fish Bob's and have a look @ that old Sea Master. You will find religion.
Old 03-11-2002, 10:00 PM

Seamaster

Hey Guys, I first saw the Seamaster at a shop in Key West. It took three years to convince me to match it with a two hander, but the wait was worth it. No more skinned knuckles, dual
mode into direct drive for fish "control" ....oh what a toy.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:23 AM
Fluff

Re: DOCUMENTATION!

Quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket
John - document this "non-purchase" for future reference!

The next time you get veto-ed by the Mrs. just pull it out and say, "But I've already saved us 1500! Buying this (object of desire) is only gonna reduce the profit by X dollars."

Be warned she may want to take the balance of the "profit" for herself - take her to dinner for the discussion, that way you can treat her and still get funding.

"Age & treachery will out smart youth & agility" somethinglikethat
Dear NumbNuts:

A: He didn't get ratted out, nor was his desire to obtain a SEAMASTER vetoed - as this SEAMASTER yearning was only a dream - no reason to worry about any 'Mrs.' knowing anything about a dream sequence. Ergo, no reason or responsibility to qualify Profit/Loss statements.

B: The above admonition (hereinafter known as 'A'), applied in proper context, qualifies that which you attempted to quote, miserably, I might add, which states:

"Age and Treachery will overcome Youth and Skill"

Last edited by DFix; 03-12-2002 at 09:27 AM.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:48 AM
President of CAC

Well....incase Fix and Todd feel sorry for me.. Now I will use my savings to get the Sage XP and Abel super 6.... after the Powell Tiberon. Otherwise the money will disapear on something like redoing by cottage floor... that can wait... believe me.
Old 03-12-2002, 05:52 PM

John, what are you going to put on the Super 6? You can get a seven weight and 200yds of 35# gel spun.
Having said that, a Super 5 is lighter, has a similar capacity and has a greater diameter when all the line is off(the advantages of a wider arbor). It doesn't look as sexy as the 6 though, and with the 3N spool, the 6 doubles as one of the best reels for an eight weight.
I have both and they are the best.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:01 PM
President of CAC

Eddie, actually I ordered the super 11 today..camo #2. I ordered it from Andy at Concord Outfitters. I have other Abels and love the drags and simple maintenance... never had a problem.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:56 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...two cyllables, one word...

...CHARLTON...
Old 03-13-2002, 02:51 PM

John - I sent you an email (or maybe a private message thingie)

anyway, check your stuff fort it.

TMS
Old 03-13-2002, 04:04 PM

Ahhh...the Super 11. I love it. Perhaps the best 9/10 reel made. Perfect match for that 10wt XP or Tiburon that your going to get.
Old 11-11-2002, 09:22 PM
Jonesin...

Large Arbor Advantage

This thread offered some good suggestions but here is my situation. I have 8 and 10 wt rods now and am looking to add a nice 9 wt to the mix this winter. I have a Bauer M4 and a Tibor Riptide. I have gel spun backing on both so I am able to fit a 375gr sink tip on the Bauer and use it with the ten wt. I am getting a third reel as a gift and have narrowed it down to the Abel Super 8 with a spare #3 spool or the Super 11. Taking the large arbor factor out of it I think the Super 8 option offers the most versatility but I want to make sure I have a real that I can use on the 10wt and mabe an 11 or twelve in the future. How much advantage do you loose by going to the #3 traditional arbor. Since this is a very expensive real I have dreams of maybe a Giant Trevally or Tarpon on it in the future. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Sean
Old 11-12-2002, 07:23 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to 2HandTheSalt
Joh, these almost never turn up on ebay, but there is one there now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...580654987&rd=1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.