Wilmington show - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 07:48 AM

Question Wilmington show

I took the ride Saturday getting there just as they opened. What I noticed is there seemed to be fewer booths this year than last year, and alot of the exhibitors from past years were not there. Seemed to be alot of lodges looking for bookings though- I guess the hassles at the airports has cut into their business. Only found a few things of interest(tying material), but did get a good recommendation on a floating line which no one had at the show. I got one anyway from on-line with credit to a local shop.
Anyone else notice this general sparseness of this year's show- Marlboro seemed better to me. Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 08:31 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Unhappy I have to agree

yeah, it was a big disappointment. the whole show and I only bought a $7.00 item... :eyecrazy: that right there tells me it wasn't so hot. it reminded me of what happened to the sportsman's shows, which I had gone to every year from age 16 till about 5 yrs ago. Tom D
Old 03-11-2002, 05:15 AM

Thumbs down

The reason I didn't attend the show was there was nothing that interested me on their program. I guess their timing is off. After you have done the Marlboro show that's about it for shows, unless you go to the Sommerset Show.
FishHawk
Old 03-11-2002, 09:05 AM
President of CAC

Yes, I agree... but for me it is still a shot of flyfishing in the middle of winter and I enjoy the social aspect that the show facilitates more than the seminars or vendors... I look at it as a get together with a lot of flyfishing "visuals" so to speak.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:12 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Were we at the same show?

I thought the show was AWESOME. Didn't get to see all of it, but I really enjoyed what I did see and regret what I missed.

I don't know where to start...

Lefty was at the Sage booth when I snuck away from our booth. Someone had caught the rafters so he politely excused himself from a conversation and zipped over like someone who just saw a big fish rise. He did an up-down zigzaggie thing and the fuzzy fly obeyed like it was being remote controlled. Every time I watch him I am impressed... every single time.

Our favorite local shops were there in force - wonderful opportunity to pick up those final items before the season starts. I saw a lot of rod tubes on Sunday and it was great to chat with our pro friends in the business. Even when I could not leave the booth the discussions that trickled back about what Popovics does to get bucktail to be so perfect or watch Joe Cordiero stop a crowd in their tracks further down the aisle were great.

And that's not even mentioning the casting clave... WHAT A BLAST! The competition at the adult casting contest was fierce as each caster tried to hit a moving target from half-court. But that was not the show per se...

I really like the way manufacturers will provide booths even though they don't necessarily sell things. That way you get to really check out products before walking over to the shop exhibitors booths to buy them. Like the HMH true rotary vise, and their tube tying kit... did you happen to catch those?

Varivas hooks are showing up all over, nice hook.

My only regret is that I missed Bob Hines presentation on the mysteries of the Rhode Island worm hatch yesterday at 13:00! Talk about a blown opportunity with the Rhody worm hatch clave coming up in May. Got busy at the booth and never made it even though it was only a short walk up the stairs (no other bldg antics).

And what about that Sage XP 4-pc 9x9? WOW!

I had a GREAT time even though it was a ton of work and many new action items popped up.

Next time you see these guys, please show your appreciation to the members who volunteered:

Capt. Todd Murphy, Capt. Stan Mackerwicz, John Morin, Terry Weir, Adrian Sharp, Pete Gray, Dave Williams, Gregg Estey, Jeff Borkowski, Mike Estey, Chris and Ian Delisle, and everyone else who gave their time and effort to make this another great Forum weekend, even if there was no fishin' yet in the Northeast region!
Old 03-11-2002, 12:05 PM

I liked the show. It may be my age but I get overwhelmed easy. I found the ammount of booths and people managable. But I went for both days too. How could I resist? I live about 3.5 miles away. I don't know about you guys but I just spent a hall pass. With the season so close it will just blend in as part of that whole "selfish thing that you do"
I wasn't sure what my role was with the forum booth. With so much help around I just offered moral support and a few nails from my basement.
Being so close to the season, the level of the exchanges with fellow anglers was high energy. Great talking to Marvin and JeffG about Boston Harbor and the No. Shoah.

FWIW, when I went back to the show on Sunday, my son was pissed to the point of tears because I was going alone. It says a lot that he wanted to be around everyone and the FF world after 9 hours the day before. He'll be claving with us as the years pass. Now if I could only get him to clean his room regularly....

Lefty
Old 03-11-2002, 07:43 PM
Flats Rat

I had a great time too and managed to spend way more than I should have

old friends dropped by to say hello

Capt. Stan showed the way

Jimmy followed along...

Jenna Whalen demonstrates tying the deep eel

Last edited by Adrian; 03-11-2002 at 07:55 PM.
Old 03-11-2002, 09:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Question maybe

Juro, maybe it was because Ed and I only had an hour or so to spend before the clave, so I didn't allow myself to get into it. Tom D

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.