Casting Clave a big hit! - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 07:21 AM

Casting Clave a big hit!

We loaded the gym with lots of old, young, familiar and new faces yesterday and we shared casting knowledge, stories and an all around great time. A big and hearty thanks! to all who made it happen. Just like last year it was especially nice to see the kids take up the fly rod and do a pretty darn good job with 'em too!

The dinner afterwards at Kitty's was outstanding and also GREAT fun. Heck I'm not sure which was more fun - the casting or the dinner gathering.

To all those who may be rummaging through your stuff looking for that spool I was missing, my apologies as it was in my truck.

Well I'm late for the fly show - perhaps I'll see ya there.

Gregg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2002, 08:35 AM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
great time

it was great to see how many beginners were brought. most of them seemed to improve quite a bit thru the time of the clave. I just wish I'd have grabbed a rod to try the contest, (not for the prize, of course) to see how bad I'd have done Tom D
Old 03-10-2002, 09:46 AM

It was a fine time indeed. A special thanks to Capt. Murphy for the casting tips. See you folks on the beach. Eddie
Old 03-10-2002, 09:55 AM
President of CAC

After the show we convoyed to the casting clave and I had a great time seeing everyone... Fly boxes were given out courtesy of Nick, Tom D. brought Ed Sea of Powell.Fred A. wife and daughter patiently watched and his daughter tried her hand at casting...Jimmy and Adrian made the trip from Connecticut. Pete came in Air force fatigues and brought his sense of Humor.. Mark Doogue took pictures and brought a great enlarged picture of one of the Rip trip crews... Hawkeye gratiously accepted my late saltwater fly entries.. Dave Fix came with Joan and was not grumpy at all...Dave Williams for setting up and getting the place for us... Jay McLaughlin came once again...Fishhawk with his cannon... Terry came with his son, the new master tyer and his wife dropped in,,,he also brought his fathers old Fiberglass 7 foot rod. ... Juro did his usual orgainizing and instructing as did Todd Murphy...Paul Fort.. a guy I know from J Hancock came in and he had better sign on to the board now... Jeff Roop brought his T & T ten weight for the casting conteast...which I lost miserable...better start practicing with the intermediate line and stop casting like the depth Charge line.Brian Casey did his share of teaching with his kids....Quentin and Eddie as was Todd and his Irish bueaty (I know her name but it is escaping me for the moment ,Todd)was there... also many new faces.. sorry if I missed anyone. Juro bossed me around at 8 am at the show as we put up the booth..but Juro did the lions share.. "hey John, not that way...this way and don't forget to srew the bolts in ..WITH washers..please". Saw Dom at the show as well as others.. I will do a show report after Juro does his thing.. Heading there today for a little while.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:49 AM
Middle Aged Member

Great time and great to see everybody. Special thanks to Ed, Adrian, Dave Fix and Juro for the casting instruction and patience with Donna and Tora. And thanks to Dave Williams for miestering.

Sorry we missed the dinner. Had to drop my daughter off in town. But the wife and I got to have a romantic evening at home watching the George Roberts video.

Enough of these shows and pretend stuff - its time to fish!
Old 03-10-2002, 05:46 PM

my first casting clave, not my last...

first - my thanks to all who helped Lorraine (My Irish Beauty), she is now officially a better caster than I am. She did comment that your lessons were terrific and cannot wait to put them to practical use. (bring on the fish!)

second - thanks TM for your use of gear, help & pointers. I think I'm gonna go back to basics and try to start new (lots to un-learn).

third - thanks to all who showed. I had a great time meeting & greeting with face new & old. Looking forward to the next get together.

lastly - many thanks to all organizers, volunteers, promoters, agents, sponsers and advertisers for thier efforts - because if they didn't do it, we wouldn't have had such a good time!
Old 03-10-2002, 08:17 PM
Flats Rat

What a great event! Fantastic to see so many friends from last season and put some faces on new friends this year! I am sorry I coudn't stay for the apres-clave. The trip back to CT was a bit wet but safe. Kudos and thanks to all for really making this such a great success and enjoyable event. Hope to see some of the beginners out on the water this season.
Old 03-10-2002, 10:38 PM
Recent Member

Great Time!
Thanks to Sprocket, Dave Williams for answering a lot of questions. Also Capt. Tom M. for the lesson. I'm looking into getting my wrist and hand fused into the correct position.
Great job everyone.

Greg Knight
Old 03-10-2002, 11:45 PM
Flyfishing on the brain..

What a great time I had.

It was particularly fun to watch the kids work on their casting. Thanks to the Powell guys for donating their time and resources, especially for taking my friend Greg under their wing and velcro-ing the fly rod to his forearm.

As always, I found myself wishing I had more time to catch up with all of the familiar faces during the season. It always seems that one commitment or another pulls me away from quality time on the water with you all.

I particularly enjoy encountering those that I know only by their Fly Fishing Forum aliases. We have a great many characters, and, many people of great character that participate within the Forum.

Todd Murphy, my hat is off to you. You are a great teacher, working with, not against the limitations of your students. I'm working hard at "quieting" my shoulder and torso rotation and narrowing my metronomic(is that a word?) forearm motion. I can't very well abruptly stop and then drift backwards to lengthen my forward cast if I don't stop until my arm is ALL the way back. Oops!!

Dave Williams gets a nod for meistering.

Roop, we should have shared one of those dinners at Kitty's. I'm still full.

Finally, I brought along an enlarged group pic of my first Rip Trip. I know Striblue wanted a copy for himself. If any of the others that were in the picture want a copy just PM or email me. They are $15 each when you have them enlarged. I'll either put them in a tube and ship them to you or hand deliver them at our next gathering.

Thanks again,

~Mark Doogue
Old 03-11-2002, 05:05 AM

Thumbs up

Had a great time at the Clave. Only wished that I had made the dinner. Oh well next time for sure. Glad that Gregg found his spare spool. All I can say is that we have a great group of anglers.
FishHawk
Old 03-11-2002, 08:33 AM
_

Another successful Forum event! It was an informative and entertaining afternoon topped off with an evening of good foodand drink and plenty of laughs at Kitty's. Here's a big "Thank You" to all the planners and participants for making it happen.

It was great to see all the familiar faces and to meet those of you whom I had not yet had the pleasure of meeting. Best of all, I discovered that I can actually cast with a fly rod! After watching and listening to everyone else for a little while to "absorb" some knowledge, I went outside with Gregg and he soon had me casting the fly line even farther than I can sling a sluggo with my spinning rod! It will probably be a while before I get any points for style, but there is no doubt in my mind that I will be able to cast well enough to catch fish. Thanks again!

Q
Old 03-11-2002, 09:07 AM

I want to say thanks to everyone who made the casting clave happen. I wish I could have stayed longer and talked more.

Juro, thanks for trying to teach my son to cast. Now, I have an idea of the next set of exercises to do in lawn casting. I'll wait till a day when he's in a more receptive mood.
Old 03-11-2002, 11:48 AM

I can't believe I won a rod! :D

Having won the donated 10 wt at the casting clave I feel humbled (quiet John). Believe me guys it was luck. There were so many other great casters.
I was using a borrowed T+T 8 wt.-thanks Jay. I think it helped a lot. NOw I know why anyon fool would spent over $300 on a fly rod.
I threw a line on it yesterday and spent some time casting it in my yard. All I can say is wow this rod is sweet. Is this what they call a progressive taper? I felt the line contact all through the casting stroke. Nice! I would like to thank the rep(s) that made it possible. Very generous and helpful.
I tried to make a possitive contribution to the Forum and instead I end up on the recieving end. Once again I am indebted. (is this a conspiracy?)

Thanks to Dave Williams for meistering.
Juro-good work.

My son learned so much from so many also. Lot's of good role models around. Great to see everyone and finally get some more faces to names. I also got a belated gift fly from Jim W. for helping out on a past clave. Unexpected and delightful.Thanks again Jim- I'll slap that baby on the QD and see if I can do some kind of Herring twitch and fool a keeper. Nice big fly.

best to all,
Lefty

Last edited by Lefty; 03-11-2002 at 12:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2002, 12:04 PM

Smile

Great Clave! Thanks, Dave, for organizing.

Thank you, Todd, for the one on one instruction with my son. It was his first time touching a fly rod. Could not get him interested last year, but after yesterday, he's looking forward to giving it a shot this spring. He also thought you had a great sense of humor.

Have to say I was impressed to see Juro walk nonchalantly out to the middle of the gym floor and fire a rocket BACKcast into the bullseye (literally) of that rolling striper on the first try. Looking forward to learning how to do THAT this year.

Bill
Old 03-11-2002, 12:10 PM
Fluff

Sorry I didn't have a chance to make the rounds and say hi to more of you. Dave W, thanks for the venue. Nice to know so many had a good time. Terry, congrats on fooling everyone into thing you're a lousy caster - wish I could have seen that competition.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.