In at the deep end........ - Fly Fishing Forum
Yak Attack Kayaks and flyfishing = ultimate stealth

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2002, 08:31 PM
Flats Rat

In at the deep end........

Well, they do say you should practice rescue manouvers in realistic conditions and today certainly lived up to the name.

We had 25 mph winds gusting to 50 so the introductory lesson took place on the Saugatuck river. There I learned all about paddling against the current (outgoing tide) and keeping on course whilst being buffeted by occaisional blasts from the side winds. My self rescue exercise took place ahead of schedule when I lost my balance - managed to hold onto the paddle and learned first hand how valuable paddle leashes are for staying in touch with the boat. All the safety equipment worked like a dream and I stayed warm until we put the boats back on the car and I removed one of my gloves and found out what wind chill plus wet fingers is like.

So, now I have a few aches in places where I didn't know I had places and can't wait to get back out - hopefully in slightly more benign conditions.
Old 03-11-2002, 01:47 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...major shrinkage!...

...There's something about exposed wet flesh and a cold wind that gets your attention in a hurry...
You picked a fine day to practice life support maneuvers! It can only get better!
YOU DA' MAN!

...nice to see you at the show!

Last edited by Penguin; 03-11-2002 at 01:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.