ATTN: Great Lakes Steelheaders - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2002, 07:41 AM

ATTN: Great Lakes Steelheaders

With todays 60 degree temps and WARM thunderstorms all day melting the snow received last weekend.

Upon my 22 years of great lakes steelhead experience I can confidently proclaim the spring steelhead season is now here. Some rivers are already stacked with fish.

The spring run will be running the rivers strong in the next week as the snow melts. I predict the week of March 18th will be perfect for us if we do not get a large cold spell. Heck even if we get one it will still be good as long as the river levels are not to high.

Complete your final preparations and lets go fish fresh silver great lakes steelhead !! This is a very early spring so those zipper lip rivers which have May runs will now probably mid to late april IMHO.

Please to protect the privacy of our great lakes runs no specific posting on where you actually fished only general comments on your trip is recommended.

For me I never will post on specific rivers or results on an open internet forumn.

Tight lines to all ! Love them and live them, catch and release of all wild steelhead please, for me it is release of all fish.

Best
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2002, 02:41 PM

Yep, those Great Lakes and their tributaries are the best place for Steelheading. Here in the PNW the fishing is really poor, what with our torrential rains, dams, fisheries mismanagement, seals, torrential rains, orcas, tribal netting, and of course the torrential rains. We just stand around looking at all the dumb trees wishing we were someplace nice like around the Great Lakes where the Steelhead fishing is just great!

Yeah, if I needed a place to go Steelheading, I'd try the Great Lakes region. They got great fishing there. And it doesn't rain all the time.

Rain soaked guy from the fishless PNW
Old 03-08-2002, 03:29 PM

Hey rain soaked guy. Don't you know how to get out of the rain. How much of the white stuff did you get. I had about 3" but it's all gone now. I wish I was fishing,but have to watch kids all weekend. I hate to say this,but there is more to fishing than just Steelheading. There's lakes, and other streams other than the Skagit. I know you can't leave the farm.It will fall down if your not there. One old man
Old 03-08-2002, 04:31 PM

We had about a foot last Saturday, looking out my office window now it is all gone. 60 degrees today we were running in shorts at lunch today. Life is very good here now at least for March weather this is awesome.

It will be turning colder into the 30s and 40s next week.

But still good and we are now home free into Spring and fresh lake run great lakes steelhead.

Hope the same happens out in the PNW

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.