No Boneclave this year - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 03:02 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Unhappy No Boneclave this year

Because of budget reductions at Waquiot Reserve, there will be no camping on Washburn after Labor Day for the forseeable future. According to the staff due to increased costs due to a vandalism and recent budget cuts, all camping will cease on Labor Day weekend.

There are no other weekends available thru the entire season and I am sure no one is interested in Labor Day weekend. Therefore the following will be the case from now on:

a) we can't have our usual post-labor day outing anymore

b) if we have one in 2003, it will have to be prior to labor day weekend

Times change, and we'll never lose the great times we've experienced out there but there will be no September sorties on Washburn in our future.

thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 03:15 PM
Fly chucker

Well that stinks. One of my goals for this year is to get my first albie or bonito on a fly, and I was hoping that it could happen during the Boneclave that I've heard so much about. I suppose that I can pursue that goal in other ways and on other waters (namely RI).

Is Washburn the only place that has this type of camping available? Sorry for the ignorant inquiry, but I'm not as familiar as the rest of you with that particular area. Perhaps there are other spots that have potential?
Old 03-07-2002, 03:37 PM

:hehe: I think the burning drag and the long days in the boats in Vineyard sound rank a little higher than camping in the pine needles. So we take it to a motel or 2. Maybe a smaller group too. Anyway, I'll be out there with a few of my bigger boat owning buddys near labor day either way. Just think - new mode! ORrrrrrr....Wesport!
Orrrrr Block Island.

Lefty
Old 03-07-2002, 04:15 PM
President of CAC

What about a Vinyard outing... great fishing at that time of year and it might be fun to check out the availability of camp grounds there
Old 03-07-2002, 04:54 PM

I've stayed here a few times Marthas vineyard family campground . I hear that the Edgartown lighthouse is albieville in the fall. Unless the boats were trailered over where would they moor 'em?

I'm thinking Rhody.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:37 PM

Send a message via ICQ to tomd
Talking can you say Rhodey???

here's are interesting links to get things started: http://www.riparks.com/fisherma.htm

Tom D

Last edited by tomd; 03-07-2002 at 07:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2002, 10:03 PM

Well it's not there are no options or anything... plenty of venues to choose from for sure.

We're doing Rhody for the spring clave this year, an "Old School" weekend with Saltwater Edge. Rhody coast, meeting Jenk's cool freinds at the shop and Saturday lunch at Newport, then a worm hatch that evening. Sunday we can try Westerly or Pt. Judith before heading home.

Summer is a constant string of outings.

But the fall classic... where will it be...
Old 03-07-2002, 10:05 PM
Flats Rat

Juro

Any thoughts on a date for the Spring clave yet?
Old 03-07-2002, 10:20 PM

Peter Jenkins is tuned into the situation in the Newport / Narragansett area and will be suggesting the dates for the best worm hatch chances. I'll email him to try to get those dates firmed up.

Any spring clave committee volunteers?
Old 03-08-2002, 05:17 AM

Lightbulb

RI in the Fall would be the best chance for a shot at an albie. Another option would be e tip of Long Island. I will check this out. With all of the connections of the Forum we'll come up with something.
FishHawk
Old 03-08-2002, 08:04 AM
BB5 Survivor

Dble --

best shot for bonito last year was the bonito bar off nantucket -- caught fish every time out last year...

as far as albies go, I'd second the RI suggestion -- Pt Judith was
THE place for me last year (although Greg & Ray G. both had some epic days inside the harbor of R).

too bad about washburn's -- but there's no reason not to move the bedrolls from tents to hotel rooms...have had some great night fishin in my yak inside the bay in years past.

--j

Last edited by jared; 03-08-2002 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:26 AM

I think I brought this up last year...

Isn't there some State Camping & Good Exotic Fishing in the Westport/Horseneck Area??

Also, What about RI? Burlingame Gives Great Access to Several Shore & Boat Exotic Locals!
Old 03-08-2002, 10:11 AM
_

I don't get it . . .

Closed due to budget problems??? How much could it cost to run the place? I never saw an "official" out there while I was there and they obviously hadn't emptied the spot-a-pot in quite some time. So where are the expenses? Seems to me they will LOSE money by closing it. So now what will they do -- pay someone to patrol it to make sure nobody is camping there?

As for vandalism, that will probably occur whether it's open or not. And it seems to me that having campers on the island would tend to discourage potential vandals.

Typical government shortsightedness I suppose.

BTW, wasn't last year's Boneclave scheduled before Labor day in the hopes that there would be more bonito around? (I missed it last year)

Anyway, as for continuing with the Boneclave tradition, I think it would be better to camp than rent rooms. Just seems better to me. Rhody or the Cape -- doesn't matter. Someone mentioned Nantucket. Do they have camping areas there? Never been there. That would be fun. Haven't spent much time fishing on the Vineyard either. And didn't someone mention something about Block Island a while back? Hmmm . . . No shortage of options!

Q
Old 03-08-2002, 10:35 AM

One main obstacle to overcome is sleeping near the boats. Launching everyday is a drag. A motel/campground with a dock or mooring possibilities would be ideal. Let's not give up, start looking and let's reserve Washburn for 2003.
As far as Islands like Nantucket and the Vineyard,
ferrys and mooring present problems. Where do we park boats? Ferrying boats over on trailors is expensive and tough to get reservations.

Lefty
Old 03-08-2002, 12:05 PM

Although I never made a Washburn trip, I wonder what effect it might have to write a very nice, heartbreaking letter to "someone" responsible for the closure to see if you could get some kind of a special permit to go--maybe grease the wheels by volunteering a few hours for trash clean up or some other civic improvement or something? Just a thought. A letter signed by 30-40 nice, responsible, low-impact flyfishermen might accomplish something--it would help to have someone on the inside of the decision making process, but what have you got to lose?

These types of closures happen more and more these days, usually fo r the same reason--teens/vadalism/drinking--that's how we lost camping privlidges on the Spit at the North River, which was a sweet spot...

Where'd you get your info Juro? Who is the main body incharge?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.