Fly line color - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2002, 12:32 PM

Question Fly line color

I would like to poll the forum members for their take on fly line color.

Since Steelhead are not color blind (or so I believe), does the orange or bright yellow lines, for example, spook the fish? Does the lines added visibility to the fisherman outweight any such concern? Are such bright lines okay on sunny days, yet not so great on ones with a dark overcast?

What about the gray or brown or green lines? Does a fluorescent green line detract or not?

If this has been discussed before, I couldn't find it, so please pardon any perceived duplicity.

Steven
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2002, 12:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to roballen
A couple things..

1. steelhead are not leadershy.. If they were i wouldn't be catching them in crystal clear water with 10 lb maxima.

2. dark colors are easier to see in the water, thats why we often use black and pruple, so it stands to reason a dark colored line would be more visible to the fish and a bright color less visible.

3. by the time a fish is seeing your flyline it has likely seen your fly swing past at least once. Since most steelhead take a fly on the first pass having them spooked by your line will rarely result in fewer hooked fish.

4. if a sled going overhead doesn't spook them then neither will your flyline regardless of it's color
Old 03-06-2002, 01:12 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
I routinely fish up at Fortson on the Stilly in the middle of the Summer. The water loses all flow and more or less gains an unlimited visisibilty.

I've fished many differnt lines up there and have never noticed a differance in hook up ratio between the green and oragne SA Steelhead Tapers.

...but I can tell you, the orange Steelhead Tapers are much easier to see!!!
Old 03-06-2002, 01:32 PM

Keep it up guys, I really need to hear this stuff after I recently bought two SA Steelhead Tapers in orange by mistake (having ordered the mist green). Seems to me I once heard a saying to the effect that good fortune sometimes follows the fool.

Oow, it's 22 degrees, the wind is howling from the Northeast and I see snow flakes falling lightly. Come on spring, come on spring...

Steven
Old 03-06-2002, 01:37 PM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

My favorite flyline color for dry line steelheading is white. It's visible, yet kinda melts right in. PNW skies are often just a whiteish grey in the morning and it just seemed stealthy to me when imaging the fish looking up. It's hard to find the lines I want in white so I just go with the flow, and unless you're sinking the bright part of the line into the pool I'm not sure that the fish really care, provided the fly is swung correctly at 'em.

Old 03-06-2002, 04:55 PM

What's the opinoin on clear lines. Going to buy that new Cortland line,the 555 and I can't make up my mind on the Mist green or the clear. Don't say both because I can't. Limited budget. Retired. Going 5wt as it's for summer fishing. Jim P. S. I'll probly buy it where spanky works. I find it's a good place to shop.
Old 03-06-2002, 05:04 PM
LBFF Mojo

What would you be using the clear line for? It is probably not the best line for mending but good for sight fishing as it *may* keep the spook down.
For everyday trout and steelhead fishing I do not think it would give you an advantage at all.I would stick with the green line.

But for bonefishing on the flats the clear line could provide a great advantage.

-sean
Old 03-06-2002, 05:58 PM

If I was going to fish for bone fish on the flats I would have to get rich quick. I thought that I would use the line for general all around summer fishing. Like the Yakima,and several other rivers in my general area. The only time I would site fish is at a fish farm. My eyes arn't that good. Jim S.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:31 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Quote:
Originally posted by old man
P. S. I'll probly buy it where spanky works. I find it's a good place to shop.
Hey Old Man, its Sparkey, Sparkey, not spanky!!

...and thanks for the kind words.

In regards to your line question, no need for the clear. Clears fish well as slime lines in lakes and in other places were line visibilty is not a factor and stealth is.
Old 03-07-2002, 01:11 PM

Just in fun Sparky. You seem good natured, so it's just a little jest.

I guess that I will just stick to the regular old fly line. It comes in Olive Sage. I just get tired of all the bright colors.

Goodby for now. Jim S.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:00 PM
Mr. Mom

Why do fish eating birds have white or at least light colored tummies?
Old 03-08-2002, 09:43 PM

Got a problem here. Yeah, its true with regards the osprey but not any of the Skagit eagles, immature ones are dark all over with the mature ones darker w/white heads and tails. And eagles DO take live fish.

...my $.03
Old 03-08-2002, 09:47 PM

And they love Steelhead.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:04 PM
Mr. Mom

The exception that proves the rule. Hundreds of species around the world against a handfull of oddballs species. Basic issue is a light color backlit by the sun is more likely to be missed. Nature, and most air forces around the world agree
Old 03-10-2002, 01:08 AM

I'm not an ornithologist, but I'll bite. A very short list of dark breasted fish eating birds:

The cormorants - many species.

Pigeon Guillemot - Noted for their bright orange-red feet which trail behind in flight.

Frigatebird - Note the very bright red throat.

Adult Brown Pelican, Glossy Ibis, and adult male Anhinga.

In general what you say is true, but give yourself some wiggle room, Philster. ...and note the last sentence, second paragraph, on the opening post. Such was the essence of the query.

Oh, and the U-2, SR-71, F-117, B-1, B-2 and B-52 bombers. Very dark but not prone to eating fish.:hehe:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.