Shad on the Roanoke River, NC - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2002, 07:00 PM
NC Fly Guy

Post Shad on the Roanoke River, NC

Floated the Roanoke today in the raft from Gaston to Weldon. Didn't see many shad above the falls at Weldon, a few below. Caught a bass on a shad fly. Things are starting to happen. Should be good by this weekend.
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2002, 09:30 PM

Quit talking about warm weather shad runs in NC, one would think spring was almost here, while we are still ice locked in the Mid west with a foot of snow.

But the steelhead fishing is now becoming prime time if you can take the cold for the next 5-6 weeks.

How big are the shad down there in NC ?

Was getting into them on the Delaware in NJ and NY on the fly when I got transferred to Chicago area 23 years ago.

Hal

P.S. A golf and shad FF trip to NC sounds good right about now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2002, 09:58 PM
NC Fly Guy

Come on down

It wouldn't kill you. It's about a three 1/2 hour drive down to Pinehurst from Roanoke Rapids and there are about three dozen great golf courses in the Triangle area of Raleigh/Durham too, that's only 1 1/2 hrs from the Roanoke. You can fly into Raleigh, fish the Roanoke and be back in town that same night and go golfing the next day. If you want me to I can even get you a tee time at one or two of the really nice courses around. :-) (Seriously I will if you want me too!!)
Old 03-05-2002, 10:14 PM

Gordon,

Actually I have work friend who just moved to Pinehurst for golf. She has invited me down to visit when ever I can. Sounds tempting. You did not answer the question, how big are the shad and how large is the run (new question) ?

Great area NC and SC have spent time down there on business over the years. Columbia & Greenville, SC Greensborough & Charlotte, NC etc..

Hal
Old 03-06-2002, 07:49 AM
NC Fly Guy

The shad are usually between 15 and 22 inches with occasional bigger ones. Great fun on a 5 or 6 wt rod, tough to go much lighter because you need a sink tip line a lot of the time. The run is huge. The Roanoke is a very prolific river. It has the best water quality of any river in the state, which is remarkable considering what it has been through and continues to put up with. Truly a great American River.
Old 03-06-2002, 07:47 PM

Gordon,

Sounds like great sport on light fly rods. Shad are underrated fish, poor mans salmon I think is the word used occasionally. Wish we had them in the midwest. Oh well will have to settle for the steelhead, salmon, trout, and smallmouths out here.

Hal
Old 03-06-2002, 11:13 PM
Flats Rat

I've heard them called poor mans Tarpon. I was lucky enough to encounter a few last season and was very impressed - lots of acrobatics and very willing to hit a small clouser. I'll be looking for them this season!
Old 03-07-2002, 12:21 AM
NC Fly Guy

Shad fishing ain't nothin but fun!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.