39 1/2 inch Native Buck - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 09:01 PM
Spark's Bobber Brigade

39 1/2 inch Native Buck

Fished the upper Satsop this AM on my way to school. I had no luck, but only fished one quick spot. However, on the way back down the river I noticed a fellow on a gravel bar fairly close to the road with a fish on. Since I was late already, I pulled over to watch the tussel. 15 minutes later (he was using a gear rod), he carefully unhooked the fish in a slow eddy off the bar, while keeping hold of the tail. He proceeded to pull out a tape measure, pull out an impressive length of tape, quickly set it down by the fish, pull out his camera and snap a picture, before reccesitating the fish. I got a good look at it when he picked it up a placed it back in a little faster water. It was by far the biggest fish I had seen this year, a beautifull buck with a faint red strip down the body and the hint of a hooked nose...made me shiver just looking at it. Anyhow, after the fish was released (he seemed to take good care of the fish) I asked him the length. He replied it was 39 1/2 inches.

He was most proud of the fact he caught it "on a fly". Looked like he was dragging a cerise leachy looking thing behind about 6 inches of pencil lead. Oh well, to each thier own...makes membership in Ryan's "Indicators Anonymous" not look so bad after seeing that. :eyecrazy:

Looks like I'll have to go back tommorrow afternoon, ditch the indicator, dust off the "real" flies and actually swing a few since the water looks very condusive to that. Haven't fished this river that much, but if the pressure is down it looks somewhat hospitible. I've avoided it mainly because of the popularity and large crowds, but that fish started my motor humming!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2002, 02:33 AM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
CnD-
Alot of folks make homemade versions of the popular Renny Mason Aeroflies...it could have been something along those lines.

BTW-
Drifting flies is a favored technique of mine up at crowded terminal like Reiter Ponds on the Sky during the Summer. Bob Arnold's Spade is deadly when fished with about 7' of leader with the tiniest amount of pencil lead.

A few summers back, Reiter was stuffed with fish and we were experiencing our typical super low August flows. A buddy showed me a technique that he was schooling everyone else on. It involved taking about a 1" piece of purple rabbit and threading down a 7' leader ontop of the tiniest red bead using a size 6 red Gamma. I remember one Saturday morning, I walked in and hooked 6 in a couple hours of fishing...damn that was fun!!
Old 03-05-2002, 06:07 AM
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic

Ryan -

Success in one method does not mean the lack of success with another - on similar August days at Reiter I've hooked three and landed two summer fish in about 5 casts on a riffle hitched waking caddis among dozens of gear guys. One gear guy hooked up that morning out of the crowd. Summertime is the right time for greaselining if you ask me. (you knew a sermon was coming! )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-05-2002, 11:28 PM
Mod

Send a message via AIM to NrthFrk16
Well between sinktip's fatherly lectures about my behavior and your sermons regarding fishing...I might become quiet distinctive gentlemen one of these days.

...or maybe not!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.