Anybody Got A Skagit/Sauk Report? - Fly Fishing Forum
Pacific Northwest Sea Run Forum No such thing as rainbow trout, only landlocked steelhead

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 02:02 PM

Anybody Got A Skagit/Sauk Report?

Just thought I would check in and see if anybody's been brave enough to face the crowds on our last open waters. Are the crowds as bad as I would expect? Any fish around? If you don't want to post, you can e-mail me at: dtomine@attbi.com. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Skookum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 02:33 PM
Chief of E.P.

Dylan,

I can't comment on the crowds this weekend but I floated Suiattle Br. to the Hippie Hole on the 28th. We didn't see any other boats until we pulled out and there were only a couple of walk in anglers to contend with. As for fish, three of us in the boat with me throwing flies, one guy 50/50 fly and gear and the third chucking bait all day. Grand total was one mid-sized dollie for me. River sure looked fishy but not for us. Talked to John Koenings at the takeout and his clients hit 4 steelies side drifting on a mega-float from Darrington to the Hippie.

Duggan
Old 03-04-2002, 04:29 PM

Went out and practice cast the Skagit at Diobsud Creek from 9AM to noon on Sunday. (practice cast because I couldn't get my popsicle to sink past the surface film - can't call that Winter steelheading) Besides my companion, I saw no other anglers but did hear that the Sauk was pretty crowded.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:09 PM

I can vouch for what watersprite said. The Sun was sure nice and warm,no wind except for him flapping his gums. Saw quite a few fisher-type-persons on the Sauk.
I only have one question to ask all you steelhead type fishermans. What length leader do you use with a sink tip. My flies are weighted. The reason that I'm asking is that I'm new at this and I get several different answers from people that are just starting out like me. Right now I have on about a three foot leader. Please don't ask what the sink rate is on the line as I don't know. I am starting out cheap so if I don't like it I'm not out much. Jim S. Very old man :hehe:
Old 03-04-2002, 10:40 PM
Skidrow Woolley Fly Club

Fished Sauk bar first time this season on Saturday. Bar has changed quite a bit from last year. Kinda featureless now. One tug, don't know what it was and one varmit.

I am now sitting in a hotel room in Couer d' Alene, ID doing a MCSE boot camp thing. 12 to 14 hours in the class room each day for the next 2 weeks. Please, if anyone goes fishing, post what happened even if you didn't catch any fish. I need to fish through you guys.

kls
Old 03-05-2002, 12:01 AM
Chief of E.P.

Old Man,

On the leader front. Depends on the water clarity some but usually in the 3-6' range. Four being the most common. Unless the Sauk cleared up a lot since I was there on Thursday you can get away with 3-4 no problem.

Some guys will go lighter and longer in really clear conditions or else go to flurocarbon. Personally I have not had much luck with FC but that might just be me. Seems too brittle and I just don't think the knot strength is very good but once again, I may be way off.

sinktip
Old 03-05-2002, 12:19 AM

Hey mumbles (I mean old man),

What's this flapping his gums bit? Memory serves me that YOU were having quite the conversation with yourself.

I kept hearing what I thought to be others approaching in conversation, yet no one appeared. Later I noticed you mumbling away happily.

Any conversation on my part, except for a few expletives directed towards the bushes behind me, were while we rested our sore backs while sitting on the rocks. And you held up your end of this one, too.

Just thought I would correct the record here.

Steven
Old 03-05-2002, 10:57 AM

Me and watersprite were on the Skagit and it was as clear as Gin.
Thanks for the leader length.
I'd like to try fishing the Sauk,but as big as it is I would feel like my fly would be like a needle in a hay stack. Jim S.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.