Hudson Stripers - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2002, 08:34 AM

Thumbs up Hudson Stripers

Was out on 3/3 in the Hudson River. I landed 1 my buddy Poppy landed 2 and my other buddy Bob landed 9!! all using Storms prismatic rubber jigs. These things are hot!!! I would seriously pick up some if you can find them. I think they will be downright nasty when baby bunker are around in the fall. ( By the way the biggest fish was only 7-8lbs all others were 5-6lbs ) If you live in the area or are visiting, just a word to the wise... #1 Do not keep fish!!! ( March 15 is opening day ) #2 Be sure to have all you safety gear on the boat.

The reason is the Coast Guard and DEP are out in force checking boats for fish and boat violations. This is the first year I have been checked but was glad to see them out there getting the poachers and keeping the reigns tight on those who abuse the resource.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2002, 09:07 AM
Fly chucker

Good to hear about the fish activity and the presence of the DEP and Coast Guard. It shouldn't be too awfully long now before there's reliable activity on the Connecticut coast too.

Hope you didn't set off the "lead alarm" here on the forum! Seriously though, keep us posted. What happens in your area will invariably reach us in time.
Old 03-04-2002, 09:41 AM

dble haul

Well the Hudson is one of those places that very few have a good knowledge of. Down in my area there are some really hot places to fish with very few who know the "when and where" portion of the equation. I only throw spinning tackle when I know its going to be tough and need to cover water fast. Fly rod time is just around the corner, I can't wait! Then soon after the action slows by me I will run the beaches of CT,RI and MA in the never ending quest for Line Sides.
Old 03-04-2002, 11:12 AM
Flats Rat

Hmmm, I sense a Hudson Yak Attack coming in the not too distant future!
Old 03-04-2002, 11:13 AM
Fly chucker

Mike- I can't wait for flyrod time either. If you head up the coast, drop a line and maybe we can meet to do battle with the fish. There's a few others on the board in the area who might be interested as well.
Old 03-04-2002, 12:33 PM

Adrian / Mark

As far as using the "Yak" I saw a guy out there yesterday in one, give it a go. To find them I would suggest trolling a Rattle Trap or a Glass Shad jig right on the bottom in 7-12ft of water.

Mark:
I will certainly drop you a line the next time I go to CT it should be April ( unless the word comes earlier ). I fish the Norwalk Islands 3 days a week so if you are close we certainly could meet up

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.