450 grain line - Fly Fishing Forum
Stripers and Coastal Gamefish Stripers, Blues, Inshore tuna!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-22-2002, 05:17 PM
LT 20

Question 450 grain line

I just got a 450 Rio grain line. What is the feelings out there on these heavier lines. I figure it will get down closer to the bottom, in the spots that have a fast moving current.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2002, 06:10 PM
d'PhlightlessPhlyPhisher

Location: Kape Kodistan, People's Republik of Taxachusetts & Penguinia
...Overload the cast and you're dancin' with disaster as the tip of the rod may explode...'gotta be gentle and ease into a softer technique that doesn't "shock" the rod...
It'll get you down fast...but for the rip-trips I wonder the merits of a full sinking line?!.
Old 02-22-2002, 08:22 PM
President of CAC

Craig I have the same RIO line on my T &T 10 wt.. no problem a couple double hauls and your out 100 feet. Great slick line... Nat Moody and Derrick S. from First light always use this line and had recomended it to me last year... got rid of my Jim Teenys. Really gets down.. used it on boats off South Beach and even from the beach at Point Rip.
Old 02-22-2002, 10:40 PM
NC Fly Guy

As stated above, you want to use a 10 wt with that 450 grain. Too much for a lighter rod. I have seen rods break with them. I am using 25 - 30 feet of LC-13. It gets down way faster than the QD/Depth Charge/Teeny types of lines.
Old 02-23-2002, 10:19 AM

it's all up to the weight of the rod when using the heavier grain lines. I feel comfortable with a 550 on my 10wt, but then again I'm not so much worried about casting for distance as I am getting down as deep as I can, as fast as I can. Not a line you want to be casting for distance all day....
Old 02-23-2002, 12:00 PM
Wanna be striper bum

I fished a 450 grain line on a Winston 10 weight last season. The rod was the XTR series (which Winston defines as a "beast" of a rod) and it was as stiff as a telephone pole. As you might imagine - it cast 450 grain line without a problem.

I traded that XTR in for a 10 weight BL5 which I like much, much better. I plan on loading it up with the 450 grain and seeing how I like it. However, I really think that I will use a 350 grain 80% of the time. The 450 grain line is pretty heavy and it does eliminate the elements of finesse from your casting efforts. It is not as enjoyable to spend the day casting a 450 grain.

The 450 grain can be great for deep water and fast currents but I think that the 350 grain is much more versatile.

Craig - may you swing low and grab the fattest of cows with the 450 grain.

-Mike
Old 02-23-2002, 05:05 PM

I use a Teeny 450 with my LL Bean Double L 10wt. and it is a great setup. It casts well and really gets down quick. It can get tiring after a while, but well woth it when you need to get your fly down deep.
Dave Williams
Old 02-25-2002, 05:41 AM

Talking

I have an Airflo 400 which I use on my Sage 9wt rod . The rod casts like a cannon and really gets down there. Also, the line has a no crack 5 year warranty on it.
FishHawk
Old 02-25-2002, 10:51 AM

I consider a 450+ a "must have" line for boat fishing, and it will be a good shore line if fishing deep or rips. Otherwise, I think a 325 may be more versatile from shore. Ten weights and up for the 450 unless you rod is a cannon...
Old 02-27-2002, 10:36 AM

Doogue,

First of all it's good to see that all the guys back East are begining to stir as Spring draws near. Hope I can get back this year to fish and visit friends.
I've had problems fishing a heavy sink tip on my BL5 because of the softness of the upper section of the rod. It has a very slow reaction taking the tip off the water then like a spring it creates a fast line on the back cast then again becomes slow as I double haul forward. As my line shoots forward on my release I notice the tip of the rod has lots of up and down movement which impeads my shooting line from going out through the guides as smooth as I would like and even seems to snake the tip back on it's self if I try for a too long of cast. I love my BL5 for my floating line and I love my XTR for my sinking lines and tips. Would love some advise on how you set up your BL5 for sinking lines.
Thanks
OC
Old 02-27-2002, 11:12 AM
Wanna be striper bum

OC,

I would love to give you advice on my recipe for rigging the BL5 with a heavy line. However, this is going to be a problem because I have yet to cast the rod with a really heavy line rigged up on it! I fished the XTR all last season and I wanted a rod with more finesse than the quasi-telephone pole XTR. I thought that the XTR was great when I was casting the 450 grain but I did not like casting an intermediate line on that rod. It was too stiff.

I found that I was borrowing my brothers 9 wt RPLXi whenever he wasn't using it. I liked it better than the XTR. The RPLXi is more the rod for me. So, I bought the 5 piece 9 wt RPLXi for a great price on eBay. I was supposed to sell the Winston XTR but I traded it in for the BL5 instead. This year I will test it out with the heavier lines and I promise to let you know what I find. If it performs like you say it does with the heavy lines then it might be destined for eBay.

Take care,

Mike
Old 02-27-2002, 12:05 PM

Doogue,

Some of my problem maybe that I'm using a 2wt floating line as my shooting line and this is on an 8wt BL5 for steelhead. I'm throwing 150 to 200 gr sink tips. Reason for 2wt line is there is less drag in water and top end of sink tip gets down deeper and fly stays down on swing instead of ridding up. Been thinking of going to an 8wt floating line before my sink tip as it is stiffer and feel that will take a lot of that up and down motion I mentioned when line is released on cast. Wont fish as well but will cast better maybe. Then again I remember 25 years ago we fished sinking lines with stiff flat mono as the shooting line for stripers around Worlds End at night. Got your sinking line down fast and even and cast a mile if it didn't tangle in your guides. I wonder if they still make that stuff?
OC
Old 02-28-2002, 04:03 PM
Recent Member

I fished a 400 grain for several seasons and then moved up to a Teeny 475 grain on a ten weight Scott. This year I've gone back down to a 300 Teeny nymph line (24' head). I fished it on Scorton with the guys last month on my nine weight Scott and loved it. Casts almost as easy as a RIO intermediate line. It's sink rate is around 6.5" per second, so you give up a lot of the weight but still have a fast sinking line...

I agree with you all on the advantage of the RIO 450 grain lines. Very nice lines. Got a lot of fish down deep on them. What I like about the T-300 (so far!) is that I can false cast it a little more. The heavier lines were tough on my back if I fished them all day on my ten weight and they really are not designed to be false cast. But if you got to go deep and fast, you don't have too many options....

Hopefully, the t-300 will be a good compromise this season. Although one of my friends just went to a 550 grain.... I'll keep you posted!
Old 03-01-2002, 11:45 AM

Doogue,

Just to let you know that yeserday I fished the BL5 with a heavier, stiffer shooting line and it did take a lot of that up and down motion one can on a soft tip rod tip like the BL5. The shooting head cast longer also. If your comfused as to what I mean by up and down motion of the tip it is when you release your line on your cast and your rod is horizontal to the water. That is when I was having problens with that soft tip impeading the shooting line from exiting the guides. That rod has so much power in the but section yet so soft up top. When pulling your line off the water for your next cast it's a long slow process but once it's off the water line speed really increases and with a good double haul there is never a need to make extra false casts.
If you don't like the action with a 450 grain head don't get rid of it. Could not think of a better floating line rod for those 30 to 40 pound stripers that cruise the flats in July.
OC
Old 03-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Wanna be striper bum

OC,

Thanks for the words of wisdom. I have been thinking about creating a super sinking line by making it myself and using mono for the running line. An old timer told me all about how to do it a few years back and even sent me all kinds of detailed directions on how to assemble the line. It was pretty cool but I have yet to piece together my own sinking line.

As for the BL5 I will most definitely keep it. As you said it should, in the very least, be a perfect flats rod when I am targeting large fish.

Thanks again,

Mike

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.