StriBlue... - Fly Fishing Forum
Worldwide Flyfishing Discussion Talk flyfishing with members around the world!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-27-2002, 09:52 PM

StriBlue...

John,

I have a couple of questions for you. Have you tied the Pop's Bonefish Bitters pattern? What the hell is a "Tears of Keys " blank? Better yet what the HELL is Zelon?

The eyes & head looks like gold bead chain cover in exopy but it's not clear. I'm ready to go hunt down Dick Brown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2002, 11:12 PM
President of CAC

Sean.. yes, I did tie one and could not find what "tears of Keys" hook was so I just used a small Trey Combs.#6. Zelon. ( I wish I started to use my camera for posting) is sometimes called "Darlon" from some manufactures ..it comes in a sort of hank and is in strips. I think it is and feels verry close to ..say.. near hair... but as I said in 1/4 inch wide strips of about 10 inches long.. 5 or 6 come in the hank or bundle. It is good for twisting into backs of shrimp patterns and the like. Orvis refers it as Z-lon. I tied my bitter with the beed eyes but used epoxy instead of hot glue,which the recipe calls for, but epoxy works the same as far as I am concerned.. I made my epoxy amber by mixing food coloring into the epoxy which makes it somewhat colorful but still transparent.. I also did one not transparent bu using basic green food coloring in the epoxy.
Old 02-27-2002, 11:50 PM

Thanks John!
Old 03-01-2002, 06:13 AM

I read a article about making epoxy MOE blanks. Its in Fly Tyer winter 1999 magazine. What they used to color the epoxy is one tiny drop of Testors gloss enamel model airplane paint. The drop colors the epoxy. To form the shape they use flat toothpicks dipped in alcohol. Hopes this helps you out. FishHawk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Fly Fishing Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.